This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basket full o' dumbass

At least, that's how my day went. How about you?
    Primary dumbass: A certain lovely fellow decided that he wanted a refill on his Suboxone. For those that don't know, this can be used as a pain medication, and is starting to replace methadone as the treatment of choice for people trying to get off harder drugs, because is comes combined with another drug that, if the tablet is crushed and injected, reverses any narcotic effect from the other active ingredient. (That, and there's been a recent warning about overdose potential with methadone from the FDA). Well...
    This stuff is a controlled med. Anything that is a scheduled or controlled med comes with a litany of laws straight from the DEA. The pertinent one for tonight being that you cannot have more than 6 fills total on a script (scripts for controll 3-5 are good for 6 months from the date they're written), regardless of how many fills they've gotten. Now, we, assuming that the doctor was a good one, has told the patient everything about this stuff before sticking him on it, have been filling 10 or 20 pills at a time for him at his request, as this stuff is pretty expensive, and he can't afford a full fill. Well, of course, he's out of fills, it's Sunday night, and he's out of pills too. So...what should you do?
    In this guy's mind, apparently it's cuss the pharmacy technician out. I give him one warning that I don't appreciate the language, and when he continues, I hang up. He calls back a little later. I attempt to explain what a good course of action is at this point, which for him would be to call his doctor's office, which would route him to an answering service, who then could page the doctor for him. Nope, I'm apparently lying about the whole legality about the 6 fills in his little addled brain, and that he's gonna call 911 and try to commit suicide if I don't give him this stuff, blah blah blah (at least he learned not to drop F-bombs with me). After he's screamed at me a little he sure showed me and hung up.
    I call the answering service myself, since I figure I don't want someone like Gatekeeper having to deal with his crazy, druggy ass. I get the doctor's home voicemail, leave a message.
    Doctor calls back, and now I see why this guy didn't understand the whole refill/law issue. This lady (who had to pass a few tests to get a precriber's DEA number, no less) didn't know about it either, and attempted to chastise the pharmacist about it. Fortunately, it was the smartass pharmacist who lets all her irritation be known, and she let lil' miss MD have it. We get refills. I call Crazy Druggie to tell him the good news, and to see how many pills he wants filled. Am I greeted with relief and gratitude? Oh, hells no. He wants to talk to my manager. Well, she's not in, I'm not about to pass him up to the poor AMs in the front, they don't know pharmacy law anyways (although they should...but that's a rant for another day). He rants some more, doesn't let me ask how many pills he wants, hangs up on me again. I fill for the full quantity.
    He calls again (!) when he's in the drive thru line. Rants at the poor other tech, who doesn't really have a good grasp on pharmacy law yet either (she's pretty wet behind the ears still). Manages to pry the amount he wants filled from him. When he finally does get his ass up to the window, I tell him that he should visit the board of pharmacy website to learn what all laws affect the meds he's getting. He says he will, in that threatening way, like they're gonna prove me wrong. Yeah, you go boy.

Numbnut#2: Father drops off script for little boy. I ask if he has any allergies. Father confidently states that he has a penicillin allergy. I raise my eyebrow and point out that the doctor wrote for amoxicillin, which is in the same family. He backtracks, says his wife and other son have it, and kind of insinuates that this will be a problem for this son. I ask if he's had amoxicillin before. (We've never filled for this kid, so I can't verify that) He says yes. I record the possible allergy in his profile (can't be too safe and all) and notate on the prescription that he's been able to take amoxicillin previously. Well, pharmacist calls doctor to check, being that we're prudent. MD wants to talk to mom first, but isn't able to get ahold of her until she finally shows up in drivethru. I tell mom to come inside, the doctor wants to speak with her. Mom rolls eyes, but comes in. Proceeds to whine that this son DIDN'T have an allergy, just her and her other son. I hand phone off. She bitches at doctor, complains about us. Doctor gives ok to fill. We do so.
    I'm sorry lady, I guess next time we won't be careful about a potential reaction with your child that could hurt him. How dare we care enough about his welfare to do such a thing? Honestly, if she's allergic and her other kid is allergic, there's a good chance he's gonna develop an allergy too. Why chance it? Should have gone w/ keflex IMO, but whatever.

Personally I'd be thankful if you went through all that for one of my (current non-existant) kids. Wouldn't someone be glad to have the extra precaution? But we all know any precautions is seen as an inconvience for the customer.

(off topic) This is the best site. It shows us all how to NOT behave in a store. Although most of it is duh and a bit of common sense but still.

Comment

I hate people like that, my pharmacy decided to start offering 3 month supplies on certain generic meds to better compete with mail order pharmacies, they ran an add in the paper explaining all the ins and outs of the system

-Generics only
      -Not all generics apply, see attached formulary
      -Only if you take 1 tab/cap a day, take more than that, and it won't be covered
      -NO NARCOTICS

THe ad ran on Monday morning

3 minutes after we opened, the phone rang...

"Hey, can I get 90 days of Percocet????"

No you can't, moron.....
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Please don't let the actions of that woman keep you from being the responsible employee that you are. I'm allergic to penicillin, and when I had it I broke out into horrible hives; I looked like I had some sort of strange skin disease and people stared at me. This is when I was little; but I knew my parents appreciated when pharmacists called the doctor just in case. Good work, AFphoenix!!!!
        Last edited by Giggle Goose; 12-11-2006, 04:40 PM. Reason: During final exam time I forget how to write...
        "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Oh yes, please do! I nearly set fire to a nurse (not really, but that's how I felt) after I came to visit my mom and her face was swollen badly around the mouth. Apparently someone in the dentist's office didn't check her records where it says she's allergic to latex.

>.<

She ended up having to go to the hospital because she was starting to have difficulty swallowing. She later let her dentist know about the incident, boy was he pissed.

So yes, please keep up the good work I certainly appreciate it.
          "I live in Los Angeles, and I was on the walk of fame. I was drunk, and I got a henna tattoo that says, 'Forever.'" -Zack Galifianakis

Call Sophia Moore or Kent E. Ryder for a good time!

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
            Personally I'd be thankful if you went through all that for one of my (current non-existant) kids. Wouldn't someone be glad to have the extra precaution? But we all know any precautions is seen as an inconvience for the customer. .
            I totally agree . Take your time & ensure I WON'T have an allergic reaction.
            "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

My DD is allergic to ampecillin and sulpha drugs so I appreciate a pharmacist who is on the ball.
              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth KuzcoLlama View Post
                Oh yes, please do! I nearly set fire to a nurse (not really, but that's how I felt) after I came to visit my mom and her face was swollen badly around the mouth. Apparently someone in the dentist's office didn't check her records where it says she's allergic to latex.

>.<

She ended up having to go to the hospital because she was starting to have difficulty swallowing. She later let her dentist know about the incident, boy was he pissed.

So yes, please keep up the good work I certainly appreciate it.
                You're mom didn't pay for that hospital visit, did she? Because if it was noted that she had a latex allergy and the nurse ignored that yet used those gloves, that sounds like a slam-dunk malpractice suit, the kind that results in a check two days after the lawyers talk.

RE the OP:
                They've made drugs that release naxolone (or something like it) if they're crushed? That is the coolest thing I've ever heard. Woe unto the junkies, but it still sounds cool.

Comment

I say if someone comes in trying to get more drugs than they are allowed and it's a controlled substance, just threaten to call the cops, and if they don't back down, call the cops. Might make them think twice.

I have a friend who's a police officer in Cambridge MA. A couple years ago, he was telling me about getting about 3 different calls at the same street corner within minutes of each other. First was some sort of street scuffle, then the MBTA police needed backup for a turnstile jumper who had gotten out ont he street at the nearby station (they only have jurisdiction in the subway and other MBTA property, not out on the street). Then they get a call from the pharmacy on that corner.

Apparently, some stupid woman had managed to get a script for Oxycontin, but then changed it. I forget the exact numbers, but it was something like upping it from 10 mg to 40mg, 3 pills to 128 (at least; may have been more), with refills (original NO REFILLS).

Well of course, all of these nitwits got arrested, but it made for an interesting 5 minutes. Though it took longer than 5 minutes to get everything straightened out, him being the only cop there until backup arrived.
                  "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Heh heh heh...I love druggies.

Thanks guys, we do our best to try to make sure that our customers don't do themselves or their children damage Although allowing Darwinism to work is a little tempting at times....

If asshole had come inside and thrown a fit, you can bet I'd have managers down to assist and a phone into the cops pronto. Fortunately, he came through the drive thru , so there was a large bullet-resistant window between me and him.

Comment

Quoth Giggle Goose View Post
                      I'm allergic to penicillin, and when I had it I broke out into horrible hives; I looked like I had some sort of strange skin disease and people stared at me.

Me too!!

One year, after years of taking amoxocillin, mysteriously I just turned RED and itchy and had to start using Vagisil and Prep H if you know what I'm saying... my body went HAYWIRE!

Why would people NOT be responsible and careful with drugs?!?
                      Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Quoth OfficeSlug View Post

Why would people NOT be responsible and careful with drugs?!?
                        I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's because they are MORONS.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Oh, had a nice, scamming dumbass today.
                          Moron had his mom pick up some scripts for him yesterday. It's pretty common to have someone else pick up stuff for other people, especially if the person's sick or has mobility issues, in those cases I'd rather just stay at home too.

Anyhoo, they were for MS Contin and oxycodone. Well, whoever rung him out only managed to get the MS Contin scanned, not the oxycodone. (he is on public aid so doesn't have a copay anyways). So the computer was still showing this stuff as ready, and the till reciept only had the MS Contin script on it. Brainiac sees this, and comes back today to try to pick it up again. Now....those of us on this afternoon didn't know anything about this script. Apparently, the products managed to be verified by 2 different people, but the pharmacist that sold it was notified that he had other scripts, so combined them in the same bag before selling. The other pharmacist called to verify that he indeed got the drug, since it was showing up as ready still, not sold. He said that he had indeed gotten both. Now, why at that point she didn't ring the script out so it would show sold in the computer and pop a note in is beyond me, but she didn't. It got left through the overnight shift and for the morning pharmacist, who at the point rung it out because as she understood it, he'd already gotten it.
                          So when he came, it was showing as sold now, but the time of sale was of course this morning, not yesterday evening like the other one. I checked, it wasn't on our shelf, there wasn't any notes, nothing. Both the pharmacy manager and I had a few warning bells go off at that point. We sent him home with a promise to call him when we figured out what was going on. Which he did without complaint, which was another warning that something was up. Anyone else would have thrown a shit fit if they didn't get pain meds if they hadn't already gotten them. We check inventory. We're spot on, so we hadn't returned any that shouldn't have been.
                          I call the tech that was on this morning, she confirms that she'd scanned the label out at the register, so that ruled out someone else getting the script by accident or picking it up without his knowledge, which were scenarios that I considered. We then called the morning pharmacist, she told us that the overnight had told her that he'd probably gotten it, but that he wasn't sure. OK, we wait for the overnight to come in. He didn't know a whole lot, other than the label had been left for him by the evening pharmacist the night before, because she wasn't entirely sure that he'd gotten it, despite the fact that he'd confirmed that there was 2 bottles in his baggie. So...we called the midshift pharmacist from yesterday and the evening pharmacist. We then found out the story of the 2 different verifications, and that both bottles were indeed dispensed. Numbnut tried to pull a fast one!
                          So...pharmacy manager calls Numbnut, verifies that the evening pharmacist confirmed giving him his meds. She offers to call the police for him if he'd like to put in a complaint....he stutters and stammers a bit. Ok, well, she could send a note to his doctor to let him know what was going on, in the chance that he needed a new script, he stammers some more, that it wasn't really necessary, he had a few left over (yeah bub, about #240 to be exact). He asked if it was possible that it had fallen out of the bag? Hmmm....out of a folded over and stapled bag? Unlikely Sir. We then told him that we were going to restrict his pickups to only him, and he had to bring ID. We sent a note off to his doctor about his shenanigans as well, so I'm sure he'll have some repercussions there, too.
                          Ha ha, Super Pharmacy staff (with the exception of the evening pharmacist who needed a good smackin') 1, stupid scammer 0.

Comment

I had a weird drug experience just recently. I've had an ear infection mulling over whether it wants to hurt me or not, and two weeks ago when I first saw a doctor about it, he gave me these uberstrong painkillers...

Now why would someone give CODEINE for EARACHE?!?!?

It screwed over my Wednesday. I couldn't get up until 8 pm, after three doses, and I ran to kneel at the porcelain throne more than once.

Thing is, now it has decided to hurt me, it's spread all over the right side of my face, so I'm back to taking them - one at a time every 4 hours!! - to try and stop it...
                            "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

I am allergic to penicillin as well, and would be mighty grateful to my pharmacist for double checking if there was any doubt about my meds. If it were my child, I would certainly be grateful that my pharmacist didn't just dispense whatever and took the time to question me. I might be confused...but certainly grateful. That woman should have been thanking you. Can't certain drug allergies kill you?
                              I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Working...
                              X