This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yous gots R/C Cahs?

One of the routine SC issues at my previous job revolved around R/C cars. Not the cheap ones you can get at Radio Shack, etc, but the high end stuff. Customizable, gas-powered, super fast (200+ scale MPH). Those R/C cars.

We didn't (and they still don't) carry them.

There were three reasons for this.

1) We used to, but at some point the market bottomed out. The Boss - who at the time was pretty astute about these things - saw this coming and got out of R/C cars. Since then...

2) There were no less than THREE area shops that specialized in R/C in general, and two that specifically catered to R/C cars. These shops came around after a market revival. So rather than try and compete with them, the Boss decided to focus elsewhere in the hobby industry (we were BIG into model railroading, as well as plastic kits, Breyer horses, puzzles, etc). In fact, we had an arrangement with one of these shops where we would refer all customers looking for R/C cars to them, and they'd refer custoemrs looking for model railroad (etc) to us.

3) *note: I know this sounds like stereotyping, but I swear this is true well over 50% of the time* the people who came to us looking for R/C car stuff were almost universally scum. Rude, dirty looking, stupid, dressed poorly, rude, and with poor command of English (not foreign. More like someone who droped out of high school having never passed English). Did I mention rude?

For these reasons, my store did not then and does nto now deal in R/C cars AT ALL. We have NOTHING for it, at all, and even though we have access to distributors that carry it, we will not order it.

Yet just about every day we'd get at least one phone call inquiring about R/C cars. A typical conversation might go like this:

*RING!*
    Me (or other clerk): Hello, [name of store].

SC: Yeah, you got AH/C cahs? (usually VERY exaggerated Boston-ish accent. Can't pronounce R. I swear, it sounded JUST LIKE THAt almost every time).

Me: No, we don't deal in R/C cars at all. Try calling [other store] over at [address].

SC: Well f*** you then. *click*

Or like this:

*RING!*
    Me (or other clerk): Hello, [name of store].

SC: Yeah, you got AH/C cahs?

Me: No, we don't deal in R/C cars at all. Try calling [other store] over at [address].

SC: Do you have Traxxas?

Me: No sir, we don't have any Traxxas stuff. Like I said, we don't deal in R/C cars AT ALL. Try calling [other store] they carry all that stuff.

SC: Well they're closed today!

[This was a problem. This other store was closed on Sundays and Mondays. We were open every day, so we'd get many more calls on Sunday and Monday about this]

Me: Yes, they are closed Sundays and Mondays.

SC: So do you have fuel?

Me: No. We don't have the right kind of fuel.

SC: Do you have ANYTHING?!?!

Me: As I said, we don't deal in R/C cars AT ALL. We have NO R/C cars, supplies, or accessories

SC: Why?

Me: Because there are three area store that do, and we don't want to compete with them.

SC: Well do you at least have [rattles off some request]? It's a nice day and I'd really like to drive my car around today.

Me: No.

SC: Well f*** you then! *click*

Again, as we have all experienced. WE DON'T HAVE IT means WE DON'T HAVE IT! Asking repeatedly does not cause us to start carrying items we do not carry.

And the walk-ins were just as bad. Again, I know this is stereotyping, but we could spot these guys a mile away. The moment they got out of their cars, we could tell what they wanted, and whoever spotted them first would alert the other staff by saying "AH/C CAHS!"

Me: Hello.

SC: Yeah whehs ya AH/C cah section?

Me: We don't have R?C cars at all.

SC: F***ing hell *leaves*

OR a variation ont eh second type of call. THey'd ask if we had this or that, we'd keep saying know. They'd insist on looking anyway, then ask AGAIN when they don't find it.

SC: Will this gas wohk in my AH/C cah? *hold up can of model airplane fuel*

Me: No sir. The percentange of Nitro isn't correct. That fuel will burn up your engine.

SC: Oh......where's the AH/C cah gas?

Me: Again sir, we don't carry it.

SC: This is bull**** I NEED it! *rant rant rant eventually leaves*

Like with the Geographically Challenged, I sorely wanted to post a sign in the window in large print sayin "NO R/C CARS!" But the Boss wouldn't go for it.

I really don't miss this part of that job.

Apologies to any decent people here who are into R/C cars.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

I used to be into R/C...if only it weren't so damn expensive! I mean, really if you take a jump the wrong way, there goes about $30-$50 in parts, for some of the cars. To me, half the fun was in the building of the kits, some of which are purposely made junk out of the box, so that you had to go to the hobby shop and upgrade if you wanted to compete. (Yes, there are R/C car races, up to and including world championship-level competition.)

But yeah, I can see where you're coming from. Just send 'em to Rat-Shack or sell 'em a $500 RTR model. (Ready to Run.)

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
      But yeah, I can see where you're coming from. Just send 'em to Rat-Shack or sell 'em a $500 RTR model. (Ready to Run.)
      I'm happy with my old Radio-Shack Porsche 959. It's been tweaked a bit with a more powerful motor. It eats batteries like there's no tomorrow though.

I've heard similar complaints at the local shop I frequent. Other than dollhouse furniture, they have nearly everything--trains, model cars, trains, planes, R/C, you name it. But, every now and then, they get someone wanting dollhouse stuff, and getting pissy because they don't stock it. Before they moved, they had a small selection of furniture and fittings...but it never sold. After the move, the shop owner decided to sell it all off and concentrate his efforts on what sold--trains, model cars, and R/C stuff...with a small selection of science kits.

But, if you *really* want to have fun...deal with a Marklin (German model trains) owner. Since that stuff is expensive, and only runs on Marklin track, very few in the US own it. For those who don't know...Marklin's HO scale trains use 3-rail track...similar to what old Lionel stuff uses. They're wired differently, and can be a pain to work on. Just this past weekend, a guy brought in a Marklin engine...and was somewhat upset that the shop couldn't fix it. They had to ship it out for repairs.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Marlkin is 3 railk because it actually runs on AC power, not DC like everyone else. They also make tiny Z-scale trains.

Anyway, the primary point was that -in general - R/C car enthusiasts were not the type of clientele we were trying to attract. More trouble than they would be worth to us, what with the other specialty shops in the area.
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Unless I'm sorely mistaken, didn't Maerklin get away from the three "rail" track and go to that funky stuff where there's a series of small studs in the middle of the track?

That said, yes. Maerklin is VERY expensive. I remember pricing some locomotives a while back and saw where one particular one by Hornby would have costed me around 150.00 dollars american. Not bad really, expensive yes, but not bad. A similar locomotive in Maerklin was around 500.00 dollars american.
          Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
            Unless I'm sorely mistaken, didn't Maerklin get away from the three "rail" track and go to that funky stuff where there's a series of small studs in the middle of the track?
            Yeah, they use studded track now...there's a sliding shoe that rides atop the studs for pickup. Anyway, the guy was understanding about it...since very few shops carry that stuff now, and this particular shop simply referred people to the mail order places. People were occasionally pissed, but oh well--it was either that, or nothing.

Comment

I'd like to get back into HO trains, but I have the same problem, the only real hobby shop in my area discontinued all their train stuff to focus on, get ready for the irony, RC cars....

He used to have a whole wall of Walters kits and stuff, now, I'd be lucky to find a forgotten box of flex-track.
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                I'd like to get back into HO trains, but I have the same problem, the only real hobby shop in my area discontinued all their train stuff to focus on, get ready for the irony, RC cars....
                I'd love to get back into it myself. I saved all of my dad's old HO trains, including a brass Mikado and an old Bowser Challenger 4-6-6-4 kit. Both still run too, with a bit of cleaning. My problem's not the hobby shop, but the fact I have no place to build one. Not even a 4'x8'. I'm tempted to do N scale, I've got the room for a 2'x4' in a corner, but it's a situation of having the room for one but none of the equipment, versus no room for the other but all the equipment you want.

Our local hobby shop is a small place, but he carries a good bit of stock and will order pretty much anything you want that he doesn't have on the shelf. Models, trains, everything R/C (particularly airplanes and boats), model rockets, arts & crafts, etc. For being small, he does a brisk business, because he's pretty much the only hobby shop like that for 50 miles.
                A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post

That said, yes. Maerklin is VERY expensive. I remember pricing some locomotives a while back and saw where one particular one by Hornby would have costed me around 150.00 dollars american. Not bad really, expensive yes, but not bad. A similar locomotive in Maerklin was around 500.00 dollars american.
                  I have german realtives and when I was a kid, my brother and I got maerklin train stuff as presents.

I haven't thought about them in years.

And I had no idea it was so expensive.

Comment

I had an extensive collection of contemporary (for the time) HO trains, it was all Conrail engines and rolling stock, I had several locomotives, and at least 50 freight cars, airslide hoppers, coal cars, piggyback cars, the Twin 45's, Front Runners, and the 5 unit articulated ones, tank cars, you name it.

Then I left home for college

When I got back, they were gone, Mom proudly told me she had thrown them out because "I was too old to be playing with toy trains"

I could've killed her,

Comment

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but can you please educate us on the different nitro mixes, what they do, and what happens when you substitute them.
                      "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Quoth Crosshair View Post
                        I don't mean to sound ignorant, but can you please educate us on the different nitro mixes, what they do, and what happens when you substitute them.
                        Sorry. I was never really up on that; it was just something one of the full0timers told a guy once. I do know that the various R/C fuels have different percetnages of nitro (5%, 10%, 20%, etc) which effect how hot it burns. If you use the wrong percentage, it'll either not run, or it'll burn up the motor.

I think. Could be wrong. It's been a while.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Don't worry about stereotyping hon, if there weren't people like that, there wouldn't be a stereotype, and the only people that get offended are ones that know they fit into it.

Around here, a lot of the R/C car "enthusiasts" are trash. Now, I call them that because they buy their beer, cigaretts, and R/C stuff before they even think about feeding and clothing their kids. (Yes, I frequent a hobby shop where one half is beads and "girly stuff" and the other half is trains, planes, and R/C, I see and hear more than I could ever possibly want to). You would not believe some of the crap they try to pull, I overheard one guy offering old car parts in trade for some new doodad for his R/C, and when the owner said no, and kept saying no, the guy threw a fit and stomped out, only to come back later drunk, with a baseball bat.....they were still cleaning up the mess the next day when I stopped in to pick up an order. Asked J, the owner's wife, (who runs the bead side) what happened and she told me about the guy from the day before, and added, "Don't worry, D (the owner) won."

Apparently, drunk guy came in, threw his half gone beer at D, and started swinging the bat, almost hitting a little boy. D flew over the counter, and did what ex-linebackers appear to do best, albeit causing a domino effect with some of the racks and shelves.
                          Last edited by protege; 12-14-2006, 05:41 PM. Reason: ethnicity removed...it didn't add to the story
                          ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

I've seen people like that locally too. There's one guy, who usually brings his wife and 4 or 5 kids with him when he buys stuff. Every time he's in there, he'll drop well over $200 on train stuff...and then complain about how expensive it is and how he's getting state aid, etc. I like my trains too, but I think his priorities are a bit messed up.

A hobby, any hobby is only expensive if you let it. It doesn't *have* to be --plenty of shops have used equipment at reasonable prices. Once it's cleaned up and/or repainted it's pretty difficult to tell it was used. To me, fixing it up is half the fun of it--the rest comes from seeing a rebuilt engine pull its first train

Usually, you come across some interesting things in "junk" boxes. In fact, I picked up some 3-axle power trucks from an Athearn locomotive last weekend. These had been removed from a dead engine, and were kept as spare parts. Judging by the corrosion on the axles, they'd been in there for quite some time...but once regeared and fitted with new wheels and sideframes, they'll work fine for my project. I'm using them to power an East German diesel engine.

Comment

Sounds pretty much like my current hobby, cars, not the R/C kind, not the model kind, the real kind Mom can't throw them out when I'm not looking, I know all the junkyard owners anyway, they'd never take them.

And yeah, you don't have to devote your life to your hobby, and if you're in a position where real bills aren't getting paid, then what the heck are you buying toys for? But I see nothing wrong with legal and legitimate hobbies at any age, long as you aren't neglecting somthing more important. (Wife and kids and the roof over your head, if all those are met, it's nobody's buisness what you're spending money on) I think the last 3 project cars I bought cost me a total of $8,000, that's for 3 cars. Yeah, they all need work, but that's the fun, I love taking other people's trash and making it worth somthing again.

Comment

Working...
                              X