This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New record! FOUR SCs before noon!

Today was just awful. Very very very busy. I had the opening shift today, and before noon had FOUR people flip out at me and/or my ASM.

You've GOT to be kidding me!

SC #1. Woman wants to pay for a $13 purchase with an unsigned credit card.

Me: Can I see some ID, please?

SC: You're kidding!

Me: Your card isn't signed.

SC: ID for a $13 pruchase?! That's ridiculous!

Me:..........

SC *angrily rummaging through purse*: And you know, I don't even have it with me! Can you still use the card?

Me: I'll have no way of verifying anything.

SC: Find, I'll get this stuff SOMEWHERE ELSE! Checking IDs for such a small amount is ridiculous. You should just take the card, you know that? Jeeze!

Me:.............

SC: How about one that's signed?

Me: Fine *swipes signed card; all is well*

Your Coupon is Expired

Ok so, we're running another one of these pain in the ass "customer appreciation" promotions where customers can come in with a voucher and receive the 12% Associate Discount (for a longer period than we associates are techincally allowed to use it, I might add )

A customer came in to purchase $100 worth of software. She hands me a voucher AND a $30 off coupon.

Great. I can't use both. Then I notice the $30 coupon is expired.

Me: Ma'am, this coupon is expired.

SC: Can you use it?

Me: No. It's expired. IN any case, I would not have been able to use both of these at the same time.

SC: So you can't use this?

Me: No, but I can still use this *waves voucher*

SC: Oh, you can use both?

Me: No, just this *voucher*

SC: Then I don't want this stuff. I won't be able to saves lots of money. You sure you can't use it?

Me: Yes

SC: You'll use it?!?!!

Me: NO!

SC: Then I won't buy it.

Me: Fine *void; gives voucher back*

SC: I want it back.

Me; This? *waves expired coupon* It's useless.

SC: I want it!

Me: Fine.

No! ONE coupon! ONE!

Woman comes up with a whole pile of stuff. Has me stop at TWO items rung in, and hands me an Office Depot coupon.

*siiiiiiiiiighh* I HATE doing this. I really wish we'd stop taking competitor coupons. It is WAY more trouble than it's worth. Case in point here.

Me: Alice? (ASM)

Alice: Yes? *I show her the coupon* Ok, yeah, we'll do that.

I could see that she had a whole bunch of coupons.....AND a 12% voucher. I don't see this going anywhere good. Alice did the Price Guarantee to put the first coupon through. Then the customer immediately hands me more stuff, and another Office Depot coupon.

Alice: No m'am, I'll only do one Price Guarantee. I will not atake any more coupons.

SC: This is a different one. It's not the same.

Alice: Yes, but ma'am, I won't accept it. One per customer.

SC: Excuse me!!! Look here. THis one is different. It has a different offer and a different code. It's NOT the same.

Alice: Yes ma'am, I understand that. What I am saying is that we will not honor it. I already used one competitor coupon for you. ONE per customer. No more today.

SC: Fine, then I won't buy that stuff! *Alice voids transactionl but doens't leave*

SO then she hands up more stuff, including a very expensive software package that we had to get out of Lock Up for her. Alice gets it. Obviously, Alice put too much faith in this woman, because the second she came back with the software and I rang it in, she throws down a Circuit City coupon for $40 off.

Alice: Ma'am, I just finished explaining to you that I will NOT accept any more competitor coupons today!

SC: This one is Circuit City. It's different. Not Office Depot. You can use this one.

Alice *waving CC coupon*: I can't even read this, ma'am. It's clearly a photocopy, and we dont' accept photocopied coupons under any circumstances. Moreover, I already told you no more competitor coupons today!

SC: But it's Circuit City.

Alice: I'm not taking it, ma'am.

*SC stalks off*

SO right after this happens, Alice storms away from the service desk in a huff just as the GM is walking in. He sess it, and comes over to me wondering WTF happened. I explained briefly, and he just sighed and rolled his eyes.

But I'm not satisfied!

Bleeding moron comes up with two pieces of software looking to return them. He explained that he uses a Mac (great, so do I!) and that he didn't realize this software wasn't Mac compatible. One of the boxes was opened. Lovely. We can't take back opened software, for obvious reasons.

Me: sir, I can take back this one, but this one I can't. We can't take back opened software.

SC *immediately pissed*: But the I didn't see that it wasn't Mac software!

Me: I understand that, but I still can't take it back.

SC: Well look. It's useless to me. What happens if I'm not satisfied with a piece of software?!

Me: I still can't take it.

SC *almost screaming*: Well can you get the manager over here and just do it?! I'm not satisfied with it!!!

*pages Alice*

Alice: We'll do ti this time, sir but in the future we CAN NOT TAK EBACK OPENED SOFTWARE!

SC: Well that's just ridiculous. I didn't realize it wasn't Mac software!

This last guy was a true meathead. It is neither our responsibility to check software compatibility nor our problem if you fail to. It's YOURS. As a Machead myself, I know better than to try and use Windows only software. This guy SHOULD have been made to eat it, but he wasn't. And not before he ripped our heads off.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH HHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Dave1982; 12-13-2006, 12:47 AM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Criminey! All this before noon? Sc #1 would probably blame you if it was ID theft. SC#2 is probably a scammer, same goes for SC #3, (either that or she's really dumb) and as for Mac Guy, well, it does give the compatability ON the farkin' box, doesn't it?
    Hope the rest of the day was better.

Comment

Oh, it wasn't any better. It just got busier and busier and busier. Then I made a mistake....(see the thread on the Oops section). The only consolation was that there were no more SCs after this.
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

This is why I like working in a store that doesn't deal with coupons at all.

Comment

4 Before noon?

Tomorow, at my hardware store, we will be giving free Flu shots all day.

"First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

I didn't realize it wasn't Mac software!!

I can beat you on that one! I was in line at the Apple Store near me once (APPLE store, as in they sell APPLE computers, APPLE software, APPLE APPLE APPLE!) and one of the people ahead of me was trying to return software because - get this - she had a Windows PC and couldn't use it!! I heard her say, "But nobody told me it wasn't compatible with Windows!" and the cashier said, "This is an Apple Store. We sell things for Apple computers" in as nice of a voice as she could, which of course led to stupid lady saying, "Well, how should I know that? You should be telling everybody that buys software that if you can't return it!" The cashier went to get a manager at that point and I had finished with my transaction, so I didn't get to see how it turned out. I hope they kicked out her dumb butt.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
              This is why I like working in a store that doesn't deal with coupons at all.
              Lucky. I hate coupons.

At least I don't have to deal with office supplies. Just every craft store ever.

When we had an issue with the coupon on black friday, the district manager was in our store, and he totally screwed everything up. There are certain things that are excluded from all the coupons, and apparently some customer bitched at him, and got the discount off of those items. And because she did, all her friends did too. And we had to do it manually. Not that it's THAT difficult to hit the "discount" button. It's just it's printed right one the coupon what it can and can't be used on. But the store manager is famous for just giving in as well. So as long as you complain to either of them, you'll get whatever you want.

And they don't really enforce the "one coupon per customer per day" thing, even though they are supposed to. It says so right on the coupon. And we do the manual coupons, we're supposed to tell 'em this is a one time only deal. Yet, we have the same people every week coming in with no coupon wanting to sign for one. OR someone with 4 A/C Moore coupons, all of them printed out on the computer. Do we not take the A/C Moore coupon? No, we just do 4 different transactions.

If someone comes up and asks if we have extra coupons, we're supposed to say "no". We're not allowed to offer the discount, etc. The other day I got yelled at because I didn't offer the coupon. The hell? All the time I've worked there, It's been "don't offer the coupon". That's not a sucky customer thing, though it was a customer who complained that I didn't give her the coupon (she wasn't in my line! She walked by and asked a question.).

Even though the coupon plainly states its off ONE regularly priced item, with the exclusions in plain English, people always get upset that the discount doesn't come off of the total, or that they can't use two coupons per transaction. or that they can't use it for the most expensive items in the store. Or that no, it's for a "regularly priced item". Which gets the reply "so can I use it on the sale items?". And they get mad at me, because...as you all well know, being the cashier, I am in charge of those things.

How do you not throw heavy objects at people? How do you not strangle them with the power cords?

What is it about coupons that makes people even more stupid?

(Office supply stores and craft stores are sort of similar. We get people in all the time who think we should have the same crap as Offic Max. Do people go into the office supply stores demanding to know where the acrylic paint is? Because they come in the craft store demanding to know where the printer paper is...then get mad when we tell them "offic max" [it's the nearest office supply store]).

I do get a special sort of glee when I have to tell a bitchy customer that they can't use their coupon.
              you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

#4 just makes me go WTF.
                I also own a mac, 2 actually. Retail stores rarely, if ever, carry mac software. not Best Buy, not Circuit City, Not OfficeMax, Not Staples, Not Walmart. To get mac software it is easiest to go online. Unless your lucky enough to live in a city that has an apple store. The only mac software i have ever seen at officemax is one version of quicken, and the tax software. i think lame excuse.

My ASM will also give in on the software return with that same "Just this once" line. I hate that line. Like your going to remember in 6 months when they do it again.

As to being asked for products not normally carried at an office supply store, here are a few of mine.

DVD Movies: no sorry - however we did once that i remember. We did get a box of "Finding Nemo" for the registers but since corporate didn't feel the need to mark it down comparable to the Target that is right next door we did not sell many.

PS2 games - Nope
                WII's - Yeah Right
                Stamp kits - only office stamps, decorative stuff i send to the hobby/craft stores
                Plants - No

Favorite item we do carry: 5 gram postal scale that is great for weighing out your dime bag. the only item in our lock up that is under $25. actual retail price $1.00.

Comment

Quoth simplyanother View Post

What is it about coupons that makes people even more stupid?
                  Because SCs are either funcionally illiterate, or are conveniently illiterate at times. Either way, anything that requires reading for comprehension might as well be written in Klingon, as far as these morons go.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post

No, you can't use it. Seriously, did she think "expired" meant?

I wonder if she was related to my ex. I had the following exchange with her once, that should have been a warning of what was to come.

Her: I don't feel like cooking anything. Let's go out to eat.

Me: Can't. I'm broke.

Her: Just use your credit card.

Me: It's over the limit.

Her: Can't you use it anyway?

Quoth Dark Psion View Post
                    Tomorow, at my hardware store, we will be giving free Flu shots all day.
                    Maybe it's just me, but the idea of getting a shot at a hardware store is just scary.
                    Sometimes life is altered.
                    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                    Uneasy with confrontation.
                    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                      Maybe it's just me, but the idea of getting a shot at a hardware store is just scary.
                      But the thought of potentially being able to watch SC's being stuck with sharp objects should be enough to brighten anyones day!
                      My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Dave1982, you always seem to get the most ridiculous SCs! But don't worry, I don't think you're making them up, because why WOULD you? You couldn't make this stuff up!!!! I guess it's just a Staples thing. People and their office supplies!!!! Yeesh!
                        "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

I had lady come in wanting to use a coupon from Safeway to buy beer. At the Circle K!! Hello! It is a SafeWay coupon and that store is across the street! When I told her that we couldn't take her coupon I can tell that she was about to say something nasty. But her boyfriend said IT IS a Safeway coupon so therefore we couldn't take it. DUH!

Why are people so DUMB!!!

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                            Great. I can't use both. Then I notice the $30 coupon is expired.

Me: No. It's expired. IN any case, I would not have been able to use both of these at the same time.

SC: So you can't use this?

Me: No, but I can still use this *waves voucher*

SC: Oh, you can use both?

Me: No, just this *voucher*

SC: Then I don't want this stuff. I won't be able to saves lots of money. You sure you can't use it?

Me: Yes

SC: You'll use it?!?!!

Me: NO!
                            Wasn't this part of an Abbott and Costello sketch?
                            Last edited by Cthulhu; 12-13-2006, 10:33 PM. Reason: fixing typo
                            Stupid Things

Comment

If you guys have ever seen the movie "Click" with Adam Sandler . . . (and from previews, I'm sure you get the gist of it). . .

Don't you just wish you could have one of those magical remote controls . . . and if you had moronic customers like in the OP, just hit the stop button and smack them three or four good times on the head.

I guess the salmon will have to work instead . . .

One for each customer . . .

This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X