This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you do it? Long

I had to work tech support today. How do those of you who do it for a living stand it without stringing the ijits up by the internet cable?

Some background:

The conference for my work study was held this afternoon, I am not a computer savvy person (the blasted thing still confuses me) yet I was told I was running tech support because, it being a Saturday, our help desk refused to come in. Even with promises of overtime pay. But whatever I understand they earned their weekends off by dealing with computer illiterates like me all week. I however now feel like a fricking computer genius. In fact I am a Goddess of Technology. Fear my power.

Choice quotes:
    "" actually spoken
    ** thought

"So how do I log into the system."
    *With the username and password TAPED TO THE COMPUTER*

Him:"How do I get to the internet?"
    Me:"Well sir the computer is wired so it's already connected."
    Him:"yes, but how do I get to it?" *face palm*

"I can't log into the computer. The password doesn't work. Now I know that you can't do anything about it, and I'll have to wait for the male techie to show up..."

* No no stop right there, there's a word for buttfaces like you. Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I don't have control over your internet. I am a Goddess of Technology, don't you doubt my power peon. Also I'm the only techie today so good luck finding someone else. (for the record he forgot to capitalize the first letter of the password. Conveniently spelled out on the piece of paper taped to the machine.)*

How do you do it without killing them? Is it something to do with not being able to reach through the phone? 'Cause mine were in person and if I wasn't getting paid someone would be dead.
    Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

I feel your pain. I work in a call center, so the mute button is my friend in dealing with feckwits like that SC.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

"You're right, sir. I can't do anything about that. But I can do this." -turns off internet for SC-

Comment

Quoth shankyknitter View Post
        How do you do it without killing them? Is it something to do with not being able to reach through the phone? 'Cause mine were in person and if I wasn't getting paid someone would be dead.
        I tell them that dealing with rudeness is not part of my job description and will not help them if they continue to be that way. I'm doing my best to help you out, and if you want my help then fine, I'll give it to you. But if you do not and will continue to be rude, then I will kindly find the door and be on my way.

Tends to work with irate people
        Last edited by Zell; 02-28-2010, 12:59 AM.

Comment

In my case, it's due to the fact that they are usually in another state than me...

Eric the Grey
          In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

The day my mute button fails is they day I get fired.

That, and I do sword fighting and play violent games on the xbox - My friends know when I've had a bad day
            Heck, Al's taken to teaching me Greek Wrestling..... Jury's out on if this is a bad idea

Me - "Al - We are double tagging a butcher with grenades tonight"
            Al - "That bad huh"
            "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
            Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

I shut off my brain and just nod and stare until they think about what they've done. To leave my brain engaged is to tempt fate with me taking their computer and refusing to return it until they turn their brains on BEFORE calling in/bugging me.

5 years of tech support does stuff to you. I now hate people, hate the phone (it took my wife demanding I call her from time to time instead of texting her for everything), and if I ever have to work support again, it'll be too soon.

I still dream of doing support a year after getting off the phones, as proven by my wife's amusing stories of me trying to walk her through fixing stuff in my sleep.
              Coworker: Distro of choice?
              Me: Gentoo.
              Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
                The day my mute button fails is they day I get fired.
                Mute button alone can't always save you. My landlord's son managed to get himself fired by swearing after muting the call. The call centre was apparently worried about losing their [big company] tech support contract. This despite the fact that the son was one of the better techs, and unfailingly polite when the customer could hear.

Comment

I had to work tech support today. How do those of you who do it for a living stand it without stringing the ijits up by the internet cable?
                  Writing down the dumb parts on my fb and/or here on CS really helps me make it through some calls. Also alcohol. Lots of alcohol. And curling up in a ball whimpering.

Sometimes I just plot really elaborate ways to kill/hurt/maim/etc the repeat offenders.

And I don't use the mute button.... I've seen them not work and people get fired. I make faces and mime strangling people.... and then when I get off the call I start swearing.
                  "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

I used to have a tech support postion. We started most calls of with is it turned on? Well are you sure its plugged in?
                    Me: The low level co-op who fields BS calls and escalates to the right techs
                    SW: Sucky worker for same company calling becasue printer isn't working

Me: Hello, Electronic Services this is underemployeed the mistreated co-op.
                    SW: Yeah this is shanon from some terminal in Southren ohio, we need a printer ASAP, one of ours broke.
                    Me: Can you describe the problem?
                    SW: Well it doesn't work?
                    Me: Was it wokring earlier?
                    Sw: I don't know?
                    Me: Is it plugged in?
                    Sw: Excuse me!? I think I would know if it ...... OOPS.
                    *click *

Yeah thats right buddy, check the connection first.

Of course I have time warner my cable does out ALL the time thanks to messed up crap on their end and no changes on my end, Im very familar with their "support". they still want me to run their "tests" which I pretend in the background. They keep accidentally shuting off our internet for non-payment (my dad pays 2 months in advance at a time) which they need to reset or the cable itself goes down. I like when the tech subtly tell me there is an outage after I can't remember my moms last 4 of social. but have a bill with account info and well duh, can see service is out and just want to know why.
                    I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

"So how do I log into the system."
                      *With the username and password TAPED TO THE COMPUTER*
                      I have worked at a place before where the DOMAIN ADMIN username and password were taped inside the door of a supply cabinet (with no lock) that was right next to the server...It was also our universal server/TS/exchange password >_<
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        I have worked at a place before where the DOMAIN ADMIN username and password were taped inside the door of a supply cabinet (with no lock) that was right next to the server...It was also our universal server/TS/exchange password >_<
                        I love how secure companies are my company puts the login information everywhere, actually to the point where I can easily find most of my managers login information. Then they kind wonder how it was possible for a fellow employee to open another employees drawer and take moeny out. My old co-op required long passwords that everyone wrote down. Just a matter of knowing the location most people had post it note right on the computer
                        I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

thankfully, theres only one computer that can access the intranet at work in my area, and only, lessee... boss, supe, me, K and SJ and HS know the password to. Me and K need to know because we're in on days the boss and/or supe ISN'T in, and all our orders are on the intranet common server... SJ is in ONCE a week and only rarely needs to access the orders since the supe is there that day. HS knows the password, but by the time he gets back from his vacation it will have been changed and bossman or the supe will get around to telling him. eventually. the other three just simply have no need to know, since they work with people who can access the computer.

oh, and we don't deal in cash. our micros (clock in/out, food purchase for lunch/snack) is sent to the main HQ in ontario as soon as it registers. we have the records in our computer, but theres no use in trying to flub times (as at least 2 of them used to do) because the boss and the supe can both access the micros record for the days in dispute. nope, no cash a'tall.
                          "FUCK NO I DON'T WANT YOUR FREAKY ALIEN MOTHERSHIP ORANGES. " - Cookiesaur
                          ~~

Munkie's NaNo WC: 9648

Comment

Working...
                          X