This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Well I'm staying, so bite me."

So currently I'm working for New York University's satellite campus in Paris. While most of the students are upperclassmen here for the semester, there is a group of about 30 freshmen in a special liberal studies program who were also here last semester. 99% of them are immature, uncooperative brats. I work in the library (which, gosh, needs to be quiet! egad! how unreasonable!), and 9 times out of 10, whenever someone is talking way too loudly, or talking on their cellphone, or going into the clearly designated "Staff Only" area, it's a freshmen. Because they were here last semester too, they think they own the place. Wrongo.

Today I witnessed just about the rudest thing I've seen. Every week we have an event in our student lounge where NYU students and Parisian university students can get together and discuss a current political topic that changes each week. We start the event, close the doors, and put out cookies and coffee. The 7 of us have a nice, quiet, orderly, and intellectual discussion. Halfway through the event (about 30 minutes later), BOOM.

The doors slam open and a herd of about 15 students (all freshmen) come bounding into the room, chatting loudly. They go: "Oh! Look! Cookies!" and proceed to help themselves to cookies and coffee. I say: "Excuse me, there is an event going on here." They say "Oh. Okay." And instead of joining the group, continue talking amongst themselves.

So I get really angry and pretty much tell them off: "You know, it's INCREDIBLY rude to come barging into an event, not participate, and then just eat our food." I get a collective dear-in-headlights-look (What? We were doing something wrong? look). Then one freshmen girl mutters: "Well I'm staying, so bite me."

So needless to say we never got back to our conversation and the event was pretty much hijacked.
    Last edited by dbblsanta; 03-02-2010, 08:10 PM.

I'm sure the director of the overseas program, and accompanying faculty members, would be interested in hearing about that...

Comment

...ya shoulda bit her.
      If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
      ^_^

Comment

Quoth dbblsanta View Post
        ..."Well I'm staying, so bite me."...
        "The gendarmes will be more than happy to put the bite on you.

The only question, is: Where? And how hard?"
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Right now, I'm very glad that the training sessions for the sexual diversity program I'm part of on campus are located in a place not-so-easily accessible to froshies.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

That was incredibly rude but not surprising, unfortunately.

If it happens again, put the food away. I'd bet that was the draw and if it's unavailable, they'll wander off to graze in another pasture.
            "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

Haha..& Americans say the French are rude, loud & obnoxious!
              OK, every time I've visited the USA (yay, visit no 15 is in April!), the folk are unfailingly polite, helpful & downright nice, even in notoriously "abrupt" places like NYC.
              I wonder what happens to some of them once they leave their own shores, to make them act differently to the way they do at home?
              I'm not saying every American is like this...FAR from it, just a very small minority.

Comment

Quoth dbblsanta View Post
                "Well I'm staying, so bite me."
                That's when you call security...and get the bitch tossed
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

At least we had polite crashers. They were very open about the fact that they were just coming to see if they could get food, and did so quietly.

I was annoyed with the woman in charge of the event for not saying "sorry, this is a Women in Engineering event, the food is for the participants".

Comment

Quoth lineswine View Post
                    I wonder what happens to some of them once they leave their own shores, to make them act differently to the way they do at home?
                    Because it's a holiday and no one you know will ever find out that the reason your stay was horrid was because you were an asshole.

That's one theory anyway.
                    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

This is why you lock the door behind you, and only let in people who knock.

Comment

Working...
                      X