Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps some people might want to consider restating their beliefs as that companies choosing to use telemarketing as a technique are scummy? Rather than the actual people just trying to put food on their table by taking the job?

Comment

Okay, I loathe telemarketers. Let me say that right up front. I have been a sucky customer...or in my case, a sucky NON customer to them, and I see no reason to be polite or even civil to an intrusive stranger misusing my personal telephone number.

Having said that, that woman needs to go seek professional help. She's going to pop a gasket. The word "shithouse rat" comes to mind.

I can't believe that dude put up with it for as long as he did.

Probably the "murder" thing she is citing is the incident that triggered the outlawing of pre-recorded messages that capture your phone line and don't let go of it until it is done playing it's pitch. You could hang up, and then pick up your headset, and there would still be the pitch playing. You were effectively without a phone until the telemarketers were done using it. A woman was unable to dial 911 for her child because of this, so they were outlawed.

Under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the guy was indeed obligated to divulge his full name and the phone number from which he was calling, although I can't say I blame him refusing in that particular instance. But many (most, actually) telemarketers are breaking several laws when they call. Most don't even know about the TCPA, leaving them open to lawsuits and fines, which "telemarketing haters" such as myself take advantage of.

I have successfully sued telemarketers before. It's tricky, but it can be done, if you are willing to be persistant and make paper trails. I doubt I'll ever set the world on fire with my winnings, but it's not about the money. It's about the principle.

Comment

I would just like to point out that some of our members work in this area, and I would ask people to tone it down a notch with their rage.

They have to put food on the table, too.

I recall in another thread, a lot of hostility directed towards people on assistance, well, these people are just trying to pay the bills. would you rather they join the ranks of the unemployed on assistance?

This is a topic that has appeared on CS before, and it always ends badly, usually with the thread closed.

Nobody really likes telemarketers, but try and reign it in a bit out of for those who are only doing their job.
        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Um, it's hardly their fault.

I have absolutely no problem with telemarketers. I'm not one (and never have been) but seriously, it's a living. I'm not going to begrudge someone their job because it's a little bit annoying. I just say I'm not interested and hang up the phone. The pre-recorded ones are the ones I get mad at, because they keep calling back until it's all done. So yes, let's hear some for those who work in telemarketing.

On topic, that lady was absolutely insane. Certifiably loony. I totally would have hung up on her. Or called the cops myself.

Comment

I'm glad I got out.... I was about to lose what little sanity I had.

Comment

Well, the pre recorded ones are illegal. Or, at least they were. Not sure exactly if the law has changed when the National Do Not Call Registry was started.

If you tell them once to stop calling, they MUST stop calling, add you to their do not call list, and then honor that for 10 years. They are also obligated to send you copies of their DNC list and their policy, under penalty of federal law.

Telling them "not interested" translates to "not interested right now, call later." And they will. Legally, they can call you several times a night, if all you say is "not interested." Say "do not call me again. Put me on your do not call list." and that's another story.

Comment

Apparently she thinks Alex is an S.O.B.

I do have to give him credit for remaining calm, and even laughing occasionally during her tirade.

I also wonder who the others that she referred to were, as she kept saying "we".
                Meow.........

Comment

I'm wondering if Alex is a telemarketer or a bill collector, since it sounds like he is trying to verify her information by asking what state she is in.

And, her friend was not gang raped or raped in any way, if her friend can say telemarketers are worse.
                  Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Wait, did she really claim at one point that telemarketing calls are *worse* than gang rape?

I swear I think I heard her say her friend had been gang raped and that friend said that she felt *more* violated by telemarketing calls?!?
                    "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

Quoth JuniorMintz
                      Wait, did she really claim at one point that telemarketing calls are *worse* than gang rape?

I swear I think I heard her say her friend had been gang raped and that friend said that she felt *more* violated by telemarketing calls?!?
                      Sheesh, as much as I utterly despise being telemarketed and as intrusive as I consider having my phone ringing when I'm trying to sleep or expecting a different call (such as about prospective employment of my own), I would never try to claim that it's equivalent to sexual assault (my father was a pedophile, so I've experienced that), and I think anyone who does badly needs either a perspective check or to install brain before engaging mouth.
                      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Whoa. That's pretty bad. That woman needs some help. She sounds like a psycho. While telemarketing is annoying it's not going to murder you. I give the poor guy kudos for tolerating that psychopath. I would've snapped and probably made some threats that would've have me thrown into jail.

Comment

Quoth Sunsetsky
                          I give the poor guy kudos for tolerating that psychopath. I would've snapped and probably made some threats that would've have me thrown into jail.
                          I think its a LOT easier to tolerate mad abusive people if you know there's a camera on you, and you know that a) if you lose it, lots of people will see you losing it and b) you can play the tape for your buddies later on, so that everyone can see the true depths of nutterdom.

I firmly believe this is what all those policemen keep in mind when they have cameras in their cars, and record outrageously rude abusive people swearing and screaming at them.
                          A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                          - Dave Barry

Comment

Is that for real???? If it is, than that lady has some SERIOUS issues!
                            "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                            ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

haha shes a total nut job, I have a sneaking feeling hes laughing his ass off

how dare he call her number!!
                              I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier
                                I also wonder who the others that she referred to were, as she kept saying "we".
                                It's the other people that live in her head, silly! Reminds me of the shirt that I should've gotten. It said, "I hear voices....and they don't like you."

Sounds like a head count needs to be done at the asylum, because one has definitely flown over the cuckoo's nest! The guy handled it perfectly, kept agreeing with and just taking the wind out of her sails. Of course, sometimes that just seemed to make her angrier!

Here's how I deal with telemarketers, and I don't have anything personal against anyone who is, it's a job. I don't have caller ID, so I turn off the ringer and turn down the volume on the answering machine. If somebody I know calls, they know to start leaving a message and if I'm there, I'll pick-up.

Just before our primaries here, there was a message on my machine from our former governor for his nephew that was running for state treasurer (I think). I was at work when it came in and the time-date stamp was 10:55 pm! Way to get votes Bruce and Gary!
                                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                                X