This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curse you to hell, Efficiency Weasel

I'm putting this here because while this shithead's policies rain down on us, we don't answer to him and he surely does not answer to us. He's the darling of management and we're just the grunts.

To make a very long story short, my plant is laying off workers because one of our production lines is being sent out for refurbishment. That means that a third of our business will be in mothballs until the end of the year. However, rumor has it that management has laid off more people than it strictly needed to, and likely at the behest of the Efficiency Weasel.

The Efficiency Weasel, you see, is someone who pulls down a cool $75K a year (about three times what I make) to make sure that the most work is wrung out of the fewest people. If the Efficiency Weasel and his time studies say it is so, it is so, and little things like reality are not allowed to intrude.

As a result, each shift is now understaffed, and everyone -- supervisors included -- are running themselves into the ground. There were three quality auditors on each shift like myself who check samples of parts for any developing defects, and now there are two. The third works the floor bagging the parts like an entry-level grunt. We rotate from bagging parts to auditing and it's only through the intervention of our supervisors that we even got that. Management wanted to lay off one auditor per shift and then hire us back in a couple of months.

Never mind that technically, for the moment and for the next couple of weeks at least, we're still at full production. Never mind that we are having to call in every person willing to work overtime every shift just to keep the place adequately staffed. Never mind that the supervisors are having to audit now too because we can't do it all. Never mind that in one wing of the plant, whose production already takes more time to inspect than we are allotted, they are getting ready to bring more presses online. And especially never mind that two auditors are needed in that last wing alone to make sure a thorough job is done.

Never mind all of it. The Efficiency Weasel has spoken and the Efficiency Weasel's will be done, factory without end, amen. His time studies tell him, and management -- none of whom have been laid off, incidentally -- that we can run the plant with less than a skeleton crew. In fact, according to rumor, this is an experiment. If every person is forced to do the work of three or four people, and can do so and keep the plant from completely collapsing on itself, then there will be fewer rehires when production comes back up to full capacity later this year.

Frankly, the only thing at work nowadays that gives me any pleasure at all is a recurring, and very detailed, fantasy in which the Efficiency Weasel is found dead beneath the I-240 overpass downtown (probably under the mural of the man playing the violin), wearing pink frilly underthings, slutty makeup, and with something so large and unusual shoved up his ass that slides of it will be shown at every forensic conference from now until the end of time. I think about this fantasy and it brings me an all-too-brief moment of joy.

And in the cold, bleak meantime, I look for other work.
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 10-08-2010, 02:03 PM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Management doesn't realize how shortsighted cutting quality control is. Business may be great right now, but if your company gets a reputation for shoddy work, it will evaporate. The Efficiency Weasel and his ilk will cry and whinge - "How can we be going out of business? Why can't the customer realize how efficient we are?" and then get hired to wreck another firm. Congrats on the foresight to leave this ship before it starts sinking.
    "Them boys ain't zombies! They're just stupid!"

Comment

Quoth Salesmonkey View Post
      Congrats on the foresight to leave this ship before it starts sinking.
      I've hated this job for a long time now. I've also been looking for a long time with no luck. My goal is to get a day job with normal hours so that I can go back to school at night... and work toward my dream of becoming a social worker.

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
        I've hated this job for a long time now. I've also been looking for a long time with no luck. My goal is to get a day job with normal hours so that I can go back to school at night... and work toward my dream of becoming a social worker.
        you know, it might be time to see if you can get enough scholarship and grant money to go back to school full time ... I know that it all depends on what your current financial obligations are.

Hubby is trying to arrange with his job to get into the 100% telecommute program, and refurbishing our house so we can put it on the market so we can move to Tucson so I can go back to school at UofA/T since it 1-has the degree program I really want and 2-is seriously gimp accessible compared to a lot of other schools and 3- have you seen the price of a house there? I spotted one online at $59000 that is perfect. If we sold the farm for what we actually paid for it, instead of the appraised cost, we would be almost $30000 over the cost of the new place!
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Reminds me of a scene from a movie I saw. (pretty positive it was Schindler's list but its been years) The Nazi equivalent of of your efficiency weasel asks a man to make an object (i think a doorknob?) and the man, fearing for his life, makes one in about 45 seconds. Fast speed eh? So then the efficiency guy does some calculations and says something to the effect of " With a knob every 45 seconds, with 60 seconds in a minute and 60 minutes in an hour and a 12 hour workday this man should make 960 doorknobs before he sleeps!"

Im sure your guy isnt that bad but imo the concept is the same...
          Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Comment

I worked evenings and took morning classes for two years. It worked pretty well for me, since neither the evening shift nor the early classes were in high demand. As I got farther along, I added online classes. I also knew some people that worked nights and took one or two early classes a week.

Just mentioning this because it might be a good way to get started towards your goal.

I totally understand the fantasy... I've had bosses I had some bad thoughts about as well.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
              I worked evenings and took morning classes for two years. It worked pretty well for me, since neither the evening shift nor the early classes were in high demand. As I got farther along, I added online classes. I also knew some people that worked nights and took one or two early classes a week.

Just mentioning this because it might be a good way to get started towards your goal.
              I've considered it, but the schedule I work just won't allow it. I work 12-hour shifts, nights, and the schedule swings from two days one week to five the next, to two, to five, two, five...

We had a girl working for us who tried to go to school at the same time. At its worst, between her school schedule and work, she would have to stay up for 36 hours straight every other week. One morning she was leaving school after having left work, and fell asleep, and drove into the river.

Comment

Quoth Cactus Jack View Post
                I read in Newsweek that downsizing like this has never actually been proven to improve things, and there is actually proof that between less production, overtime, low moral, and skilled workers leaving that it can be worse for companies.
                Doesn't matter. It keeps the shareholders, owners and managers happy.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Frankly, the only thing at work nowadays that gives me any pleasure at all is a recurring, and very detailed, fantasy in which the Efficiency Weasel is found dead beneath the I-240 overpass downtown (probably under the mural of the man playing the violin), wearing pink frilly underthings, slutty makeup, and with something so large and unusual shoved up his ass that slides of it will be shown at every forensic conference from now until the end of time. I think about this fantasy and it brings me an all-too-brief moment of joy.
                  Probably one of your larger and more improbable parts.

and work toward my dream of becoming a social worker.
                  Please Please Please!

And work with the disabled. Help us get the kit we need to live normal-as-possible lives! You'd be good at it.

One morning she was leaving school after having left work, and fell asleep, and drove into the river.
                  Is she alright?
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    Probably one of your larger and more improbable parts.
                    I was actually thinking more along the lines of a fire hydrant.

Please Please Please!

And work with the disabled. Help us get the kit we need to live normal-as-possible lives! You'd be good at it.
                    I sort of picture myself being the guy who gets to wear nice clothes and tell everybody in the lovely, historic courtroom just how it came about that Bocephus Bodine put one infant daughter's eyes out with a cigarette and infected his two-year-old toddler with genital herpes, and that not only did his girlfriend Tammy-Jolene know about it, but so did all their neighbors at Olde Scenic Vista Oake Pointe Trailer Courte.

Then again, I'll do what I'm called to do.

Is she alright?
                    She is, and she quit the factory soon afterward. I think she works as a receptionist at a hospital now.

Comment

I was actually thinking more along the lines of a fire hydrant.
                      I agree.

I sort of picture myself being the guy who gets to wear nice clothes and tell everybody in the lovely, historic courtroom just how it came about that Bocephus Bodine put one infant daughter's eyes out with a cigarette and infected his two-year-old toddler with genital herpes, and that not only did his girlfriend Tammy-Jolene know about it, but so did all their neighbors at Olde Scenic Vista Oake Pointe Trailer Courte.

Then again, I'll do what I'm called to do.

... I'd call total bullpucky on the scenario you describe, but considering I've... I've heard similar as actual things...
                      At least the court will (mostly) be on your side, since you tend to be the "good guy witness," doin' your job and not being a jerkass-- you wouldn't be there unless the State and a bunch of other people thought it was a good idea. More often than not, the State steps in when it there's a 80% or more likelyhood of ... this sort of thing going on-- usually resulting in cracks in the system of protection. I was on the other side once, a kid, and I had a bizarre oopsie, making the doctors suspicious-- I almost got taken away. But, all is well and I'm still with my family. Point is, that's a rare case; and you're there when you're needed, and lawyers are the only ones that can really glare at you. Well, in theory.
                      She is, and she quit the factory soon afterward. I think she works as a receptionist at a hospital now.
                      Yay! Now she gets to be coughed on and whined at, but there's security around too! And hot doctors/nurses/etc.
                      And no heavy lifting. Well, not much.
                      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I can't find the information, but I remember reading an article on the man who originally developed the idea of productivity and efficiency studies. He studied workers who loaded and unloaded railroad cars (19th century, so mostly manual). One man was really good at it, doing much more work than the others. The efficiency man watches him, noting how he does things, and how it speeds up the process. Etc., etc., etc. Nobody remembers that the worker worked himself into an early grave; I think he was still in his 30's when he died.
                        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                        HR believes the first person in the door
                        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                        Document everything
                        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                          I can't find the information, but I remember reading an article on the man who originally developed the idea of productivity and efficiency studies.
                          The name "Frank Bunker Gilbreth" comes to mind here; is that the guy you're thinking of?

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                            The name "Frank Bunker Gilbreth" comes to mind here; is that the guy you're thinking of?
                            That name popped into my head until I read "Nobody remembers that the worker worked himself into an early grave; I think he was still in his 30's when he died."
                            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                              That name popped into my head until I read "Nobody remembers that the worker worked himself into an early grave; I think he was still in his 30's when he died."
                              Wasn't in his thirties, but he did die comparatively young (55), of heart disease: he was way overweight, to the extent that he had to "resort to railway station luggage scales to ascertain his displacement", in the words of his son. They knew he was sick because he'd dropped below 200 pounds for the first time in decades.

(Although by today's standards, he wasn't all that fat, judging by his pictures on pikiwedia. I've seen people much heavier than he. Remember though that there weren't any cardiovascular drugs then; you basically lived until you died and that was it. Some of his kids lived into their nineties.)

Comment

Working...
                              X