X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moral Dilemma

J/K I don't have morals

However, I do have an office politics issue. I wrote about this before but everyone ignores my happy threads.

The kid I got hired with is, unbeknownst to the library, quitting in December. He told me, in assumed confidence, that he already knew he'd been accepted to <college hours away from our city> when he took the interview/got the job, but didn't tell anyone and he didn't know how much notice to give as this is his first job. I told him the standard is 2 weeks notice, but a month would probably be a better idea. That was a couple of weeks ago.

Well, I get talking to the head librarian about when she would prefer I schedule my classes so I can be available for the maximum amount of hours should they need me. She said that since she doesn't know the other three pages school schedules (we're all <local college> students) she can't tell me. She really needs morning people THIS semester, but she doesn't know about next. She might be short a night person next semester, or shorted a morning person again. As far as I know I register before everyone else. I can't register later or I won't get into my classes.

Heres my issue: Do I tell my supervisor that the kid plans on quitting, thus opening up more hours and maybe pushing through the process of having people set their school schedules (or at least pick a time when they'll be in class i.e. Mornings, Evenings, Mid-day)? Or do I keep my mouth shut? I doubt they'd outright fire the kid (not that it matters), but I'd almost feel bad. Then again, I have to pay rent and he doesn't. I don't want to come off bad to my coworkers more than anything.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

If it was me - NO. Thats for him to discuss with the supervisor

I can understand your side of things with having to pay rent and bills, etc..... but it could lead to a uncomfortable work environment. Besides, if for some reason his plans changed and he doesn't go away to college, he's probably going to want to keep his job. Besides, if he told you in confidence, would you be comfortable breaking that confidence?
    "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
    "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
    "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

I'd keep my mouth shut, too.

Sure, the kid should have let the library know that he wouldn't be there by the end of the year, but that's really between him and the library, and you telling the library will not likely help anyone out.

What you might consider, however, is talking to the kid again and suggesting that maybe he should let the library know about his plans so that he won't leave them in the lurch as regards the scheduling.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth raw456 View Post
        Besides, if he told you in confidence, would you be comfortable breaking that confidence?
        Yes I would. Lazy boy chair comfortable.

talking to the kid again and suggesting that maybe he should let the library know about his plans so that he won't leave them in the lurch as regards the scheduling.
        Already did this.
        Last edited by Whiskey; 10-26-2010, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post

Already did this.

Then what is your "dilemma"?
          I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

Well if you're pretty sure that he won't be there, can you talk with the other two pages and find out if they know what classes they're taking or what they're thinking? That way you can schedule your classes opposite of theirs and work when they can't and you'll be able to pick up extra hours that the boy who's leaving is dropping.
            A crisis is a problem you can't control. Drama is a problem you can, but won't. - Otter

Comment

Don't say anything. It's a cover your ass situation. If you say something, they will ask him about it. If he doesn't want to risk getting fired before he quits he will lie and you then look bad. If something happens and he has to stay then you will be known as a liar even though you were telling the truth.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                Remind me to never tell you anything.

Comment

I see where youre at Whiskey. When you know something at work that is "confident" but will help you out its tough.

Well not really. Go for it, hes done the job in a month and a half anyways, and you need to set yourself up. Its not like hes your buddy or anything. Also, you dont have to mention names really just "I know that someone is leaving in December...."

But really, he was dishonest when he took the job, not like you need the justification lol.

Comment

Quoth poofy_puff View Post
                    Then what is your "dilemma"?
                    How to not come off badly.

Also, you dont have to mention names really just "I know that someone is leaving in December...."
                    This might be what I do. The thing is, theres only four of us. If it isn't me that leaves the other three... two of which have been there for years.

Comment

That works better then, they can pinpoint it and you dont have to give names lol.

Just tell them youre not trying to cause an issue, but the information is important to you registering for classes.

Comment

Problem solved because I'm an Ear Whisperer.

I guess my supervisor thought about the fact that she hasnt discussed next semesters school schedules because she emailed all pages today saying she wants to know who plans on taking classes at what time so now College Boy is backed into a corner. I acted all shocked and surprised and told him, in private, that he should probably tell them that he's leaving in December asap because registrations start in November and he doesnt want to burn the bridge for the only job reference he'll have.

the universe solved my problem.

Comment

You ever considered a job in politics?

Comment

Quoth Pimento View Post
                            You ever considered a job in politics?
                            Not in the Age of the Internet. Nothing is a secret.

Comment

Working...
                            X