This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work related injurys.

I was wondering what kind of injurys people have suffered for their job?

My vorst injury was while I where in the army. It was Friday in the first week after my chistmas leave.

I mannaged to slip on the polished ice that covered the camp and hit my head so hard that I lost my memmory of that entire week
    I have never been so scared as when I sat there in the messhall and couldn't remember how I had gotten there. Much less how I had gotten back to camp after my christmas leave.

A couple of buddies got me up to the infirmary where I spent the rest of the day for observation. Luckily I regained my memmory afther a few hours.

I was so scared that I had a minor mental breakdown that day.
    Last edited by Architectus Assistantus; 10-29-2010, 04:32 PM.
    “I don’t have pet peeves, I have major, psychotic hatreds.” -George Carlin

Probably the worst one I had was at Macy's - I was working the closing shift, was in the middle of cleaning display cases, and somehow managed to cut my finger on the edge of the one for Ralph Lauren jewelry. Not really a big deal, except that it took forever for my finger to stop bleeding, and I had to keep going to the bathroom to change my makeshift bandage I'd put on. (Fortunately, this was close to our closing time and my department wasn't busy)

Comment

I was going to restart another thread like this.

My latest -- random cut from nowhere on my left index finger that I discovered when I was inspecting another pain source on my hand. I'm special.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I don't quite know how i managed to avoid injury, but i used to work at a Flower Shop - this is a dangerous place to work - water on the floor, stems and leaves on the floor, sharp knifes, sharp clippers, wires, hot glue guns, hot glue pots, spray paint, glass vases, roses, other thorny or spiny greenery or flowers. and all that before dealing with customers.

My mother however, who owned said flower shop, managed to stab herself on the underside of her arm (don't remember left or right, probably right) when she dropped a knife and went to catch it before it hit the floor, and... well she technically caught it... with her forearm, near the wrist.... she had countless thorns get under her skin, and then get infected, and a perpetual cut on her thumb from the curve of the rose knife she used.
        Last edited by Treasure; 10-29-2010, 04:21 PM. Reason: for got something!
        I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Tore the meniscus in my knee stepping up into the scissors lift at public television.

Was doing nothing out of the ordinary. But I do suspect that the knee may have been damaged before that while on a NatureScene shoot, also for public television.

There's a place in Pennsylvania called "the river of rocks" where it's a huge long stretch of boulders. If you step on one and it shifts while you are carrying forty pounds of gear on your back, your knees do not like it. That happened, and there was pain. Several weeks later, the knee just unravelled doing something completly mundane.

Also, broke my big toe at the Olive Garden when a huge tray of bussed dishes flipped over and fell on it.

And I have dropped numerous stage weights on my toes over the years, but that didn't do anything but make me clutch my foot and turn the air blue, and maybe put my foot in ice. No serious injury.
          Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 10-29-2010, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Cracking my head on the LLV step, getting hit by a car, getting pinned by a coworkers LLV, random papercuts that I don't notice till I see a red streak on some mail. Haven't been bit yet, knock on wood, but I have been puppy nommed on.

Comment

Wow!
              Seems like I have a safe job.
              The worst injury I have gotten at my current job is when I almost cut a small piece of the tip of one of my fingers. Lots of blood and a nice scar to show for it.
              Of course it happend while I was carving myself some bread for lunch.
              Hm... Sems like amost of my injurys at work is lunch related.
              “I don’t have pet peeves, I have major, psychotic hatreds.” -George Carlin

Comment

My worst injury was June 19th 2008...I was walking back to my desk/cube after retrieving something I needed from someone else's and tripped over something or nothing on the floor...anyway I started to fall and tried to break my fall but sticking my left hand on a cube wall. I felt the funny sensation of the wall being pushed down as I slid to the floor...but actually the wall was fine and my left arm was broken, in the upper half, the humerus. I damaged the radial nerve at the same time and paralyzed my arm from the elbow down. Weirdest sensation not being able to move my arm at all...it felt like it wasn't attached. About 5 minutes later the pain hit and I freaked . I got hauled out of work by paramedics with everyone watching .

I was out of work for about a week and a half I guess.....and spent months learning to use my hand again. My left hand is still weak and still gets painful by the end of the day. I just can't believe I broke it by pushing on the wall
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I cut my hand on a film cannister unloading film in a completely dark darkroom once. I'm popping all these cannisters and hanging them in the machine in the dark, thinking the whole time "Geeze, were these cannisters under water? Why are they all wet? I hope the customer knows his film had water in it."

I finish up and come out and the woman I worked with was like

I was covered in blood. COVERED.

Cannister edge was so sharp I didn't even feel it, apparently. That wasn't water I was feeling, it was freaking blood. Fortunately, it hurt neither the film nor the chemical bath the film went into.

Your hands bleed a lot. A lot.

Comment

At a previous job, I slipped and fell on some spilled hydraulic fluid from the winch I was working on. I twisted as I fell and came down hard on my right side, my right knee and shoulder took the brunt of the fall to the steel deck. ( Lesson for you, flesh and bone give, steel doesn't.)

I tore the ACL, MCL and menescous in my right knee, dislocated my kneecap and cracked it. I also broke my collarbone and strained my shoulder muscles. I was a year off work healing up after the accident and my knee will always be weaker than it was.

Comment

Worst injury I suffered at work? That would probably have to be my jaw that got socked by a couple guys mugging me as I was heading in for the day. I thought the damn thing was broken.

Otherwise I dunno. I get too many cuts, bruises, scrapes and scratches to keep track of.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I suffered a concussion when I slipped on some ice while going to punch in at WM. A customer and his kid laughed about it too. Though, now looking at other members' tales I realize I was pretty damn lucky.

Comment

When I was a waitress, I slipped on the kitchen floor carrying a tray full of plates. Every single one broke on my head. Concussion, probably, but I couldn't afford to go to the doctor. Fun Fact: I was wearing the "no slip" shoes my work forced me to buy or else I'd "slip and hurt myself."
                          Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Fell UP the stairs at work they had metal edges slammed and cut my chin scraped my elbow and the inside of my leg.

otherwise paper cuts.

oh and once my boss at the furniture shop grabbed my arm really hard (i think he forgot for a moment i wasn't a guy - the guys were always playpunching each other like that) and it hurt like hell then came out in a big bruise.
                            Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

Working at the ol' Golden Arches, during a rush I turned to help the guy making the 'phillet_o_phish'. As I dressed the buns, he whipped a rack of fish out of the oil and dumped them into the drain pan; accidentally pressing the hot wire rack into my forearm.

I got told off my the manager on duty for swearing while the shop was full of customers.

He in turn got told off for telling me off instead of getting me first aid.

Comment

Working...
                              X