X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Missy" does not want too many students parking in Visitor parking

Long post

Some background information pertaining to this post:
    During the first week of school fall semester 2009 campus police were telling students that they could not park in Visitor parking. Several students drove up to the Visitor parking booth the first week of school upset, & they asked me if this was true. So I called the parking office, & was told by "Nancy" that as long as there are non-reserved spots available, then students may park as long as they pay the $5.00 parking fee.

This morning there was very limited first come first serve parking due to a reserved event. At one point I had to place the big white sign stating Visitor parking is closed for an event in front of the Visitor parking entrance gate. A female staff member exited the faculty/staff garage, which is adjacent to Visitor parking, & drove up to the Visitor parking booth window when Visitor parking was reserved. Here is what happened.

me: "Hi, how may I help you?"
    female staff member: "The faculty/staff garage is full, & so I need to park in Visitor parking."
    me: "I'm sorry, but the garage is closed for events, & so I have no available spots."

She looks at me, & then she looks at the entrance gate.

female staff member: "What?"
    me: "the big white sign blocking the entrance gate to Visitor parking states that Visitor parking is closed for an event, & so I have no available spots."
    female staff member: "Ok...but I see several open spots in the garage."
    me: "I'm sorry, but those spots have already been reserved, already paid for, they are only for people on the event list, & the spots cannot be released until later on today."
    females staff member: *looks annoyed*:"Not even one spot?"
    me: "I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to overrule that sign. If you want to park in Visitor parking, you have to call the parking office to see what they can do for you."
    female staff member: *still annoyed, oh well; gets out her cell phone*: "Ok..what is the phone number to the parking office."

I give her their phone number. She calls them, tells them she is being told she cannot park in Visitor parking because it is closed for an event, & I can tell by the look on her face that she did not get the answer she wanted.

"Missy", who works in the parking office, came down to Visitor parking to get the tokens that customers had inserted into the "box" at the exit gate. At that point another customer had arrived for the reserved event. As I was placing the big white sign in front of the Visitor parking entrance gate, she motioned for me to speak with her. She asked me how many students were parked in the garage. I told her a handfull. She then told me that I should not let too many students park in there. At that point I let her know how many non-reserved spots there were inside the garage when I get to work this morning.

I am beginning to wonder if she wants me to save some spots just in case the faculty/staff garage gets full & there are many spots to reserve in Visitor parking. The thing is this....when every spot inside Visitor parking is reserved for an event, no one can park, & that includes staff, faculty, students, & vistors. Especially when the garage is reserved for an event sponsored by the President's office. Anything that is non-reserved is first come first served.

Excuse me? So she's suggesting you should discriminate? Perhaps you should ask if you can start refusing people who are (pick your category/culture/race/disability/appearance/whatever here) too. Sorry, I'm not even a student and this just pisses me off. Too bad the student newspaper isn't doing a writeup on the parking policies. Bet that'd be an eye-opener.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
    X