Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy Crapoly! Science Fiction May Become Fact In Our Lifetime!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Crapoly! Science Fiction May Become Fact In Our Lifetime!

I never thought I'd live to see the day, but now NASA scientists are saying that warp drives are not only possible, not only theoretical, but that they are currently working on building one. This is beyond cool!

NASA....Make it so!

(Some may remember that I visited the Johnson Space Center in the Houston area just this past summer. Any suggestions that the two items are connected will be completely and categorically denied. Not to mention hysterically laughed at.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Yeah I heard about this a month or two ago. I got a friend majoring in black hole theory.

What's even more exciting to me, at this moment in time, is that within two years we will have an engine that cuts travel time to Mars from 6 months (lethal to humans) to 3 months (totally no lethal to humans.) Which means we will have people on Mars within the next decade or two.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Okay, as I am not that technologically bright, please explain to me why a six month trip to Mars would be lethal to humans. And please, be kind...use small words. Or at least large words and small concepts, as I do have a good vocabulary.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Fun fact: When Stephen Hawking visited the set of Star Trek: The Next Generation (presumably while filming his cameo) he saw the "warp drive" core and allegedly said, "I'm working on that."
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          Okay, as I am not that technologically bright, please explain to me why a six month trip to Mars would be lethal to humans. And please, be kind...use small words. Or at least large words and small concepts, as I do have a good vocabulary.
          Ok, I will break it down to layman's terms, making it very simple.

Basically, the sun goes through phases of emitting energy at a level that will kill humans and not emitting that much energy. The span of time of this cycle is 6 months. We on Earth are protected by Earth's magnetic field (it deflects the bad energy) and we can go to the moon because it is still within Earth's protective embrace of magnetic-field goodness.

However, between Earth and Mars there is no warm, loving coddling of magneticness to deflect the lethal energy level away. (They're energy particles, if that makes sense.)

So, if it takes 6 months to get to Mars, the time frame for launch and landing is so painfully tight that it's pretty much impossible to do it without having the human crew exposed to that lethal energy level. 3 months, however, being half that time, allows us to launch when the phase is in the middle and going down to the lowest (completely non-lethal level) and be within Mars' bed and makking it up with some red-dust and dirt before the energy rises back up to lethal levels.
          My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
          It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Thank you, Jester, for asking, and thank you, AmbrosiaWriter, for explaining ... in very small words.

As for the original news ... WOOT!! Take us to warp speed, Scotty!

Comment

I wanna know when we're gonna get a working transporter beam...
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                I wanna know when we're gonna get a working transporter beam...
                They've been able to do it with base atoms now. I would imagine it's more an issue of power as opposed to technology.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I have heard about both of these breakthroughs. I truly believe the star trek universe is going to happen, in one way or another. Gene Roddenberry was a god damn genius and predicted a lot of technology we have today -- cds/dvds, the communicator (nextel phones), the current ipad/tablet craze that are touch screen and voice command, voice controlled lights and such in your house.

It's happening.....hang on tight it's gonna get exciting
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Whenever any of the 80s Trek movies are on TV, mom and I love pointing out "Hey! I have/use that!" At one point there was a working tricorder app for smartphones, then CBS decided "grr we're not making money off this so you can't have it"

Now if only we could get the IN door at my store to turn off/lock itself when someone makes the five-minute announcement...

Comment

It has been an amazing time to be alive. We are seeing things previously thought to be only the realm of science fiction come true. I don't want to live forever but I'd love to be around for 3 or 400 years just to see what happens to humanity.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                        They've been able to do it with base atoms now. I would imagine it's more an issue of power as opposed to technology.
                        Base atoms--and maybe inanimate objects, somewhere I recall reading about those tests--yes, but have they tried it with anything living? (although wouldn't our assorted laws prevent the very testing we'd need to do?)

Comment

Doesn't the Star Trek teleporter basically just kill you and make a copy someplace else?

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                            Base atoms--and maybe inanimate objects, somewhere I recall reading about those tests--yes, but have they tried it with anything living? (although wouldn't our assorted laws prevent the very testing we'd need to do?)
                            Elements maybe, nothing large enough to be visible or that can be identified as sentient.
                            I AM the evil bastard!
                            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I think now I'd settle for being able to get items to/from my dad's place without playing the "how much do I owe you for postage/have you sent it yet/why the HELL does the tracking show it's in Oregon?" game.

Then again, the existence of a transporter would be an SC/EW's wet dream, as evidenced by all the tales of SCs not getting stuff yesterday Maybe in order to own one, you need to show that you understand how/why it works...

Comment

Working...
                              X