Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is possible to get replacement cables for most of the old IBM keyboards, just so long as it detachable. That would at least give you a PS/2 plug instead of the AT one.

The other possibility is to get hold of one of the USB conversion kits, although I think most of those are homebrew. Essentially the best solutions take out the original controller board and replace it with a new one, keeping the original keymatrix and mechanisms.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
      It is possible to get replacement cables for most of the old IBM keyboards, just so long as it detachable. That would at least give you a PS/2 plug instead of the AT one.
      There used to be a fair number of DIN to PS/2 adapters available (probably hard to find now, since pretty much anyone wanting to use an AT keyboard with a "small plug" motherboard has already been doing so for a while). Some were the "block" type, while others had a short (around 4") cord between the 2 sockets - the latter were the better type, since many motherboards had the PS/2 mouse connector too close to the keyboard connector to accommodate the bulk of a DIN plug.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

The only time I've seen keyboards like what has been described were for a dance routine that I got to photograph when I was in Year 9.

Quick bg: At Year 12 level, the dance students are externally assessed for at least 1 15-minute routine which has to be done publicly. Year 11 and 12 students are also expected to do some short pieces and are usually performed as part of a "Dance" night. The Year 8, 9 and 10 students can also contribute if they wish.

For the Year 11 group performance, their theme was centred around technophobia. What better way to do it than bashing old keyboards around? The worst of the damage to the keyboards by the end of the performance was a few missing keys. (oh and the cables had been cut for the performance)
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
          I have an IBM keyboard with a 5 pin DIN plug. I tried plugging it in through a DIN to PS/2 adaptor plugged into a PS/2 to USB adaptor, but that didn't work, so now I can't use it anymore.
          IIRC, there's a hardware mod you have to do to get those old keyboards to work this way (something about recent computers providing insufficient power on PS/2 and USB ports for the original Model M).

Comment

Working...
          X