This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
    Hate to break it to people, but those scanners are worthless. They are only as good as the state database, which is often times out of date or incomplete or even just plain wrong. With California IDs we are puting our gaming license on the line (well, other than the gaming board knows how stupid California is) because all state IDs that aren't drivers licenses have "under 21" coded into the magnetic stripe, no matter how old the person is (I've gotten that message when I've swiped the card of a World War 2 vet), Oregon's cards are too thick to use in a scanner designed for Nevada cards, and I've had my Nevada ID for three months now and it still isn't in the scanner database (I just verified it right now with my scanner at work), and not all states even allow other states to access their information to be able to have a database for the scanner to access.
    So all the scanner does is add another layer of problems that can be pinned on you.
    Only true if the scanner isn't programmed to read the actual birthdate and do the math.

The one we have isn't connected to a phone or data line. It won't read a couple of older formats on out-of-state ID's, but that just means I have to do more in terms of due-diligence while talking to the person, to make sure that my judgement is right. The only data read off the strip or bar code is the name, birthdate, and expiration date. If it comes up as "underage" or "expired," I have to refuse the sale. Otherwise, it's fine.

Comment

Scanners also "force" the employee to handle the ID card, giving them a chance to catch fakes. This means those ID flashers aren't gonna get their booze unless they pull it out. *shrugs* That was what I loved about that little feature. I could tell that bitchy granny with her huge pleather purse to that yes, she DOES have to remove the card from it's widdle protection pocket.

My mind is sooooo in the gutter.
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I don't feel like risking a 5k fine and jail time simply because people want to drink.
        My friend was arrested for sale to a minor
        On top of arrests and fines, IIRC, establishments can also lose the right to sell alcohol. IIRC that happened to a bar where my family lives. There was a sting operation where minors were sent in and were sold alcohol. The bar ended up losing the liquor license.

I don't know what happened to them after that. I'm pretty sure it was a kiss of death though. A bar that can't serve booze?

Comment

Ya'll would love me.

I LOVE being carded. Ciggs, booze (though I tend to not drink much these days), restricted items....

The only time I don't mind NOT being carded is when I develop a habbit of going to the same store over and over and they remember me. Otherwise, dammit, ID me. I know I'm starting to enter my late 20s but that doesn't mean I look old enough to let it slide
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

You're right. I would. I love it when people either already have their ID out, or if I ask and they agree with a smile. I don't WANT to ID people. I'd rather just sell them their booze and get them out. But the law says I have to, and store policy says I have to, so I'm going to.

But ugh. The judgment call always freaks me out. I never know who is going to freak out at me, and I *hate* confrontation.

Comment

Working...
            X