This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny Pharm Adventures #2: The Stupid Is Strong

Do you understand the words that are comin' outta my mouth?!

Early on in my pharmacy days, Bossman pushed it into my head that I NEED to ask people picking up prescriptions if they had any questions for a pharmacist. It seems unnecessary, but it really is a last minute lifesaver sometimes. Even though sometimes it makes me want to slam my head into the wall. Answers to my inquiry of "Do you have any questions for the pharmacist/Do you have any questions today?" received in the past few weeks:

"No. What's this medication for?"

"No I don't have any questions. Will this interact with my ____ pills?"

"No, but I have a question for you." After which they launch into a complex description of their many, many medical ailments and start listing off tens of medications that they are taking, and I can't get a word in edgewise to tell them politely that they are talking to the wrong damn person and that they do, in fact, need my PHARMACIST, who will be happy (not really) to listen to their life story, which usually culminates, ultimately, with him recommending ibuprofen or tylenol for their occasional muscle pain or something equally as basic.

Here's Your Sign

One counter. Two registers. When there is only one cashier, we place a LANE CLOSED sign on the counter in front of the register not being used. Guess which one people insist on standing at. And yes, they usually make catbuttface at me when I make them go to the one I'm actually using. Bonus points if I am standing at the open register and they still go to my colleague's unused one.

SCs, despite what your entitled little peabrains might think, another cashier will not magically appear nor will one of the techs drop what they are doing just because you think you are important enough to stand at the closed lane. Good luck complaining to the manager about the 'rude pharmacist' who told you that you need to get in line behind the three people already waiting if you want me to help you. He IS the manager. And FTR, he usually maintains more tact than any of us can manage when dealing with morons like yourself.

Here's Your Sign, Part II: Humble Pie

Lady comes up to the register a few days ago with a blood testing meter and test strips in a bag, she is also holding a receipt. Oh boy, I know exactly where this is heading. I explain that under no circumstances are we allowed to refund blood testing devices or blood products. I can't do it. The manager can't even override it. The register will simply refuse the refund, because federal law states that it is not legal for any store to do this, whether the product is open or not. Refunds must be acquired by calling the 800 number on the product's packaging and dealing with the manufacturer directly. It sucks, since a lot of these supplies and devices are hella expensive, but it is what it is and there is a good reason for it. She starts getting pissy and ranting at me, of all people, how there was NO sign on the shelving stating this and that we should have one. Innocently, I ask "Oh, isn't there? That's so weird, I could have sworn there was. I wonder what happened to it. Let me go look." In true customer fashion, she follows me to the shelf where there is, in fact, a sign stating that federal law prohibits the return of such products. The look of crestfallen embarrassment . . . ah, dear me but it was the sugary highlight of my entire 9 day work week. I used to be meek and shy but somewhere along the line that person was killed and her body taken over by the being that is me. The satisfaction of calling people out on their rudeness and stupidity and GETTING AWAY WITH IT warms the cockles of my dark, retail-damaged little heart.

Baby's First Death Threat

Having been in retail/customer service since, oh, 2001? It finally happened, I got my first one! This crotchety old asshole is, unfortunately, a regular customer. He thinks he can get away with this behavior because his girlfriend's granddaughter is one of our technicians. He is rude, demanding, and very impatient. We told him it would be at least 15 minutes on the scrip he was picking up, but he kept coming back every two minutes. I fucking kid you not. About the third time he did this, I was behind the second counter with one of our pharmacists on either side of me, I forget what I was even asking them at that point because what happened next made me see red. As everyone is letting out an audible moan about him coming back a third time in less than ten minutes, I look up and before I can get the sentence out "It's not done yet", he says to me "If you tell me again that it's gonna be fifteen minutes, I'm gonna come back there and shoot you!"

The entire fucking pharmacy goes quiet.

Me: "EXCUSE ME?"

At this point this guy's face falls so fast, you can almost hear the brakes in his head squealing as he realizes he's screwed up and starts to backpedal his way out of it.

COA: "I didn't mean it, I didn't mean it!"

Me: "I do NOT take things like that lightly!"

COA: *splutter splutter gag ahdfkd*

And he rolled away. I chose to let it go since he did backpedal so fast and it was obvious he thought it was a joke, but I was not tolerating anymore out of him. He'd been rude to us for months on end and I finally had an excuse to not take it anymore. When the damn meds were finished and he picked them up, he kept saying over and over that he knew better than to say that and showed me he had some kind of sheriff badge on his wallet from WV. And you know what? I really didn't care. I flat out told him that if he did it again, I was calling the police. He tried saying his humor was just like that, and that I should ask Sally (our tech), she would know. Again, I told him I didn't care, not funny, and I wouldn't hesitate to call the law on him if he did anything like that again. Hell, if he had pulled this shit in any other department, security and police would have been on him so fast he wouldn't have known what to do. This coming just days after I find out my ex, a fellow store associate, was a Pedophile and a sociopath. He also used to make jokes about killing me. To put it bluntly, I had had enough of everyone's shit.

Oh and Sally? She DID hear about it, poor thing. She was off that day so I fired her off a text pretty much saying "Look, I know you don't claim this guy (And who could blame her?!) but you or Granny need to have a talk with him about how it is not ok to come in here and threaten to shoot me." She said she called him up right after and reamed him out. Obviously his 'joke' was lost on her, too. I haven't seen him since, but I'm sure he'll be back and I am prepared to take no more crap. If he and I need to have the 'sit down and come to Jesus' talk about appropriate behavior, so be it. I try to repsect my elders but a line has to be drawn somewhere. I have five witnesses to what this jackass did, and one of them was The Cranky Pharmacistâ„¢, who also holds a degree in law and has practiced for several decades. I also informed boss what happened and he stands behind me, saying "You can't just say you're gonna shoot people!"

So all in all, I have to laugh about it, or I'll cry. But bloody hell that pissed me off. It must have been all over my face, too. Never piss off the redhead

And one more thing . . .

Jerkass dude picking up diet pills for his girlfriend - If you know you can get them cheaper at XYZ pharmacy, why the FUCK did you have them filled here? He bought them anyways, with the typical yanking the bag out of my hand and storming off without a word. I hope your tiny little dick falls off.

Days off are so much easier to appreciate when they come after nine days of this.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

but it really is a last minute lifesaver sometimes.
    Not really related to asking the patient questions but one of my pharmacists DID save my life with information. The two 'scripts he filled for me interacted BADLY with each other (heart attacks); if it wasn't for his warning, I'd have taken them together.

The look of crestfallen embarrassment . . .
    such a sweet pwnage!

She said she called him up right after and reamed him out.
    This one too!

I still remember on one of my online RPGs one of the guys in the game chat room was FURIOUS about the servers having issues and started making comments about "would they be up if I went to their office with a shotgun?"

Another chatter piped up and told him to shut his mouth NAO. Paraphrased cos this was back in 04 maybe, but he said, "I did the same thing recently and they pressed charges. I just had my court hearing yesterday. I am LUCKY they let me keep my account!"

threats like that are no joke.

Comment

I felt like asking him "ARE YOU FUCKING BRAIN DEAD?" Seriously, in today's world, who would say something this incredibly stupid and not expect people to freak out?

I was sharing with another associate, who works in the deli and he high fived me on my 'milestone' and said he got his first threat less than two months into the job. His crime? He didn't cut someone's lunchmeat the way they wanted him to, so they said they were going to come back there and 'shank' him. He apparently pulled out his own pocketknife and said "Well here, then you can use this!" and got pulled aside by a manager who told him he couldn't do or say things like that But seriously, threaten someone's life over coldcuts? Again, stop the planet, I want off!

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
        I try to respect my elders but a line has to be drawn somewhere.
        Whether he's your elder or not, those who SHOW no respect DESERVE no respect
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          THIS, THIS, THIS! Gotta give it to get it!
          Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            ^^^THIS x infinity! There is no age at which you are no longer subject to the rules of polite society. If he insisted upon being an asshole, he deserved to be treated like one. And no, it's not a "weird sense of humor", he was being an asshole.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

^_^ Yuppers.

One can also use this by substituting other words in for "respect"...such as "trust" (or "honesty", "compassion", etc.) -- if you meet somebody who doesn't trust anyone, why would you trust that person? After all, if they think everyone ELSE is inherently untrustworthy, what incentive do THEY have to be trustworthy?
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                Three simple words:

Respect. Is. EARNED.

But there's a corollary to that: If it can be Earned, it can also be Deducted.

Being old != Everlasting Respect

Act mature and polite, and then we'll talk.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I both dread and look forward to the next time he comes in. Ugh.

Comment

Again, stop the planet, I want to kick the SC off!

FTFY.

Mike
                    Meow.........

Comment

Early on in my pharmacy days, Bossman pushed it into my head that I NEED to ask people picking up prescriptions if they had any questions for a pharmacist. It seems unnecessary, but it really is a last minute lifesaver sometimes.
                      A lifesaver indeed.

Over here, I've been told by a pharmacy tech on another online forum that our pharmacies have a "ask two questions, give one information" policy which goes for prescription as well as some OTC meds.
                      Normally it's just something like:

1) "Is it the first time you are using this med?"
                      2) "Do you know how to intake this med?"
                      3) "Alright then, here you go, and remember not to take <this> med along with <insert other med/food/beverage/other>. "

It can be annoying at times (like once where I bought some liquid paracetamol for Lil' Zel and the tech insisted on giving me a measuring pump that I *knew* I didn't need), but as the OP says, better be safe than sorry.

(EDIT: I know it sounds like a TSA interrogation, but IRL it can be included in a normal conversation that most customers won't react badly to.)
                      Last edited by NorthernZel; 03-24-2013, 08:23 PM.
                      A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Ours is just a standard "Do you have any questions for the pharmacist?" thing. But there are times when the person will answer "Nope! Just my regular blood pressure meds!" or a similar maintenance drug, and if I look on the screen and see that they have antibiotic, pain relievers, or basically something that is NOT their 'regular old blood pressure pills', we can fix it right then and possibly prevent them from taking something they don't need, or sending them home without all of their medications.

Comment

Working...
                        X