This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it say *Blank* on my nametag?

I've been getting a lot of questions from people who seem to think that my position as a retail employee gives me knowledge of all other apsects of their lives. Normally I'm used to this, but over the last two months I just haven't had the energy to play this improvisitational quiz show that people seem to have going on in their heads.

Lately, I've been following someone's advice from one of my other threads by just politely replying that I don't know, or, "That's not my place to speculate."

For example, yesterday, I was ringing up a guy who as buying some laxative.

SC: You charged me $X.xx for that, right?
    Me: *looking at the receipt* Yes, that's how much it rang up for.
    SC: Well why do they charge me tax for this?
    Me: I don't know sir, that has nothing to do with us.

Thing is, I did know, or at least have a theory. But I've learned full well not to offer any kind of suggestions anymore because it just adds fuel to the fire.

Wait... you mean you're selling laxative without knowing what airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow is?

Might as well have to know that too, if you're going to be held responsible for what the government decides.

And I fully understand not wanting to answer a customer cos, it could very well lead into an argument about why it's taxed as if it's your fault. Cos some customers seem to think the cashier is their personal punching bag and venting tool for their gripes about ... well pretty much anything.

Comment

Sad it has to come to that Nate, as I'm sure there are some things from your position and experience that could really help some custys out, but the EWs and SCs have ruined that for everybody. Your new tack is best for you and probably the store as well.

Comment

Unfortunately, this is true. My best response might be, "I don't know; you'd have to ask your elected officials that" but of course even that could backfire. "I don't know; that has nothing to do with us" is probably best.

Comment

I had a lady the other day grumbling about the price of something she bought, I just kinda stand there and take it because I'm not really gonna knock my employer to a stranger but at least she had the sense to acknowledge the fact that I personally have nothing to do with the prices.
          I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            Wait... you mean you're selling laxative without knowing what airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow is?
            Well that depends on whether it's an African or a European swallow.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
              <snip>
              SC: Well why do they charge me tax for this?
              Me: I don't know sir, that has nothing to do with us.
              Am I the only one who would want to answer "Shit happens" ?
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                Well that depends on whether it's an African or a European swallow.
                Beat me to it.

Quoth sms001 View Post
                Your new tack is best for you and probably the store as well.
                It's times like this I wonder what Katniss Everdeen was complaining about.
                Last edited by NateTheChops; 03-14-2013, 04:21 AM.

Comment

I've had people not only question, but complain about laws and such. I am sick to death of explaining that the governing bodies require me to refrain from selling food that hasn't reached a safe cooking temperature. Many of you have seen me post about it a billion times or so. One lady went off on a diatribe about the ridiculous intrusion of government into our lives. I just told her I was sure they had a good reason, just to end the one-sided argument. Ugggggghhhhh. Others get mad that we have to ID for pseudoephedrine, or whatever it is. I also don't know why you are only required to sign for your credit card for charges over $50, why the mall stores cannot sell cigarettes, why your debit card was declined--call your bank!--or why certain foods are taxed and some are not. Seriously, I don't make the laws.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

See, this guy already is violating one of the Rules of Prudence. When buying laxatives, I don't exactly want to do anything to draw attention to myself. For some reason, I don't really want the guy/gal at the register to remember me as "That Guy Who Needed Poo Help" the next time I visit.

That's like buying a cream to help clear up your crabs infestation, loudly announcing it, then winking at the person behind you in line and asking for their number. Only with poop.

Why is everyone staring at me now!?
                    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                    "What IS fun to fight through?"
                    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      11 meters per second. And it makes no difference whether it's an African or an European swallow. The African Swallow is slightly larger and stronger than the other, but the increased bulk and the increased cross section to the wind means that it's a wash. Both are 11m/s
                      I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

It's times like this I wonder what Katniss Everdeen was complaining about.
                        Ok, you threw me here. I know who Katniss is, but haven't read the book(s) or seen the movie.

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                        11 meters per second.
                        A respectable 25mph. Go swallows!

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                          See, this guy already is violating one of the Rules of Prudence. When buying laxatives, I don't exactly want to do anything to draw attention to myself. For some reason, I don't really want the guy/gal at the register to remember me as "That Guy Who Needed Poo Help" the next time I visit.

That's like buying a cream to help clear up your crabs infestation, loudly announcing it, then winking at the person behind you in line and asking for their number. Only with poop.

Why is everyone staring at me now!?
                          Tampax? The kind you shove in with your thumb or the kind you hammer in with a hammer?
                          Women can do anything men can.
                          But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                          Maxine

Comment

Quoth Sparky View Post
                            Tampax? The kind you shove in with your thumb or the kind you hammer in with a hammer?
                            Ehrm, do you mean thumbtacks?

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                              Ok, you threw me here. I know who Katniss is, but haven't read the book(s) or seen the movie.
                              Great books. The movie wasn't bad. But really my coment was more of a commentary on how at least those kids knew where they stood.

Comment

Working...
                              X