Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You Have My Permission, To Grow a Brain!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth eltf177 View Post
    BUT, if I go and there are signs everywhere saying NO UNAUTHORIZED PARKING ...
    That's just it. These people never stopped to think that mayyybe the people across the street had no authority to allow parking in the private lot...It's much easier to assume than to think -- especially if you can lay the blame on somebody else, "absolving yourself" of any responsibility. Thus, that's what they did.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
      This makes sense. BUT, if I go and there are signs everywhere saying NO UNAUTHORIZED PARKING that's going to set off my hinky meter and I'm going to definitely start asking some hard questions.
      Yes, but you have a brain.

These idiots get permission from Business Owner to park in a lot he does not own or control, and even if they did see "NO UNAUTHORIZED PARKING" signs (which is unlikely-- they don't read signs), they would naturally assume "Business Owner said I could park here, therefore I am authorized."
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
        Yes, but you have a brain.

These idiots get permission from Business Owner to park in a lot he does not own or control, and even if they did see "NO UNAUTHORIZED PARKING" signs (which is unlikely-- they don't read signs), they would naturally assume "Business Owner said I could park here, therefore I am authorized."
        Those signs are for other people. They authorize themselves, because they are Just That Important. Like the idiots who give themselves permission to do U-turns on the highways, cutting through the "Authorized Vehicles Only" accesses. It doesn't say "Authorized Vehicles, or any idiot who just missed their exit and is too lazy to go to the next one and come back" - that would need a pretty big sign.
        Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
        At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

Quoth vikingchyk View Post
          Those signs are for other people. They authorize themselves, because they are Just That Important. Like the idiots who give themselves permission to do U-turns on the highways, cutting through the "Authorized Vehicles Only" accesses. It doesn't say "Authorized Vehicles, or any idiot who just missed their exit and is too lazy to go to the next one and come back" - that would need a pretty big sign.
          And we know they wouldn't read it anyway.
          "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
            Exactly! Why didn't Princess and her Daddykins contact the idiot who told her to park there and rip him a new one? He's the one who deserved it!
            Quoth Argabarga View Post
            Oh, and for the icing on the cake, he suggested that maybe, just maybe, his precious WAS indeed told not to park on that side, but might have "misheard" or "didn't understand" the instructions because she has a "audio disability" (his words, not mine).
            My guess? They already tried there righteous indignation on the store and didn't get any farther with them then they did with Argabarga.
            You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
              "Sorry we're closed." "You CAN'T be closed! THE HOSPITAL told me you are open 24 hours!!!!!!!"
              Every time I hear "But they told me X!!!", I feel like channeling Marty Feldman from Young Frankenstein.

"And you must be Igor?"
              "No, it's Eye-gore."
              "But they told me it was Igor!"
              "Well they were wrong then, weren't they."
              I've even said exactly that, but minus the accent. Didn't think the SC would appreciate it.

Comment

Quoth retailsweetie View Post
                I don't know why people can't join the 21st Century already. When I first got my checking account when I was 16, I didn't trust myself with a debit card so they gave me a card that was pretty much just an ATM card. If someone had told me I couldn't write a check, I'd probably just have sucked it up and found the closest ATM, paid any fees, and gone on my way. Of course, that's the logical thing to do and we all know that most people don't think using logic.
                When debit cards first came out, I did not get one for this very reason.

Working cash and carry can be a pain in the ass. But it does keep you from overspending.

But seriously . . . who uses only checks these days?
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                  A lot of my customers do. They also absolutely insist upon writing them out, even though we tell them that they don't need to (we use Telecheck, which treats it like a debit, and they get the voided check back). And of course, after completely filling out the check, they must enter it into the register and do the math before deigning to tear out the check and hand it to me. Then they have to hunt for their driver's license...
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post

The same kind of people who live in houses that have rotary phones that still give you a dial tone when you pick them up?
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Ah! The joys of parking where you shouldn't.

The main street in town where we tow has limited parking, especially on snowy days. People nearby the local drugstore thought it was alright, for the night, to park in their parking lot. The part that residents all know is that they have private plowing on snow days. The plow truck has permission to call us to remove vehicles after he's sat there for a bit, blowing his horn and throwing on his beacons.

This plower did call us. We get there and suddenly everyone was out to get their vehicles, all but 2. The next day one of the owners of a vehicle came in trying to rip me a new one because her precious 90's van was towed. I informed her that it was not MY decision to get the vehicle towed but the plow truck that needed to remove the snow. Regardless that it may be a public lot, if you do not have permission to park there over night or remove your car when needed, it will be towed.

She then told us that her lawyer son was going to come up and sue us. I shrugged it off and told her again we were called out to tow her vehicle which was illegally parked and that my boss has 2 lawyer sons who will gladly represent us if such a silly thing ever went to trial.

She stormed out.

Comment

I've seen in some large parking lots they plow the snow into a big pile, either in a corner or in the middle. If the drugstore's lot was big enough, they wouldn't have needed to tow the 90s van - merely build the snow pile around it.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

You should be able to use these "Well they said.." opportunities to profit. Simply tell the customer, "Funny, because they told me that you would be showing up but would pay me/us triple to provide the service that we normally charge customers.." If the customer doesn't have the gall to initially go to the place that referred them and provided false information, chances are that they wouldn't do the same when they are told that they are to provide something out of the ordinary.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            I've seen in some large parking lots they plow the snow into a big pile, either in a corner or in the middle. If the drugstore's lot was big enough, they wouldn't have needed to tow the 90s van - merely build the snow pile around it.

That happened to me when I lived in a small town one year!! I was parked behind a park by myself and on the right side of the street. The plow guy thought it was hilarious to push all the snow all over my car. Ah, memories.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              Not just retail parking lots!

My Dad's told me a story of when we were still living in our townhouse (in other words, about 25 years ago), our neighborhood (all townhouses) had a big communal parking lot, and this one winter, a big snowstorm hit, blanketed the area in snow. Several inches. The menfolk all got out their shovels, and decided to work together to dig out the walkways and parking lot, one space at a time.

But one household didn't participate. They stayed inside and didn't help out.

At first, the men shoveling just worked around the car of that family. But several hours later (and after having a few nips of booze to keep the blood flowing), the menfolk all decided "Hey you know what FUCK YOU" and buried that guy's car in all the snow they were shoveling out of the way for everyone else.

Next snowfall, you bet your ass that guy helped out.
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X