X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a rose by any other name...

My co-worker got this one last night..

CW - should be obvious
    M - caller who wanted to pay account (or, M for Moron...)

CW - ok, and how much would you like to pay tonight?
    M - $x.xx
    CW - The credit card number?
    M - <insert number and expiry date>
    CW - ok, and the name on the card?
    M - What do you want that for?
    CW - because we need to have it for credit card transactions
    M - I don't want to give it to you.
    CW - Well, I can't process the payment unless you do.
    M - I want to speak to a manager

Of course, these aren't the exact words spoken, but certainly the gist of it (I did here CW's side of things, and thus the argument about having to provide a name...)

My response to it is "well, this call is being recorded, and if it is your card - by giving the name on it you are authorising its use, otherwise it would be fraud".

Or, alternatively, if they point blank refuse for some ridiculous reason, just mention that since you've got the card number, then I will ring the banks and tell them that I suspect the card has been stolen and used for unlawful purposes - so they will have the card cancelled

Just another fun day in paradise....

Slyt
    When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

I know this isn't the point, but if he wanted to be clever, you can tell the card type by the first couple numbers in the card. I heard this somewhere on the internet, so it must be true.
    "Jester, I have an opportunity for you." Uh oh. What does he want me to clean? "It 's a chance for you to make some extra money." Crap, it must be really gross!

-Jester

Comment

Quoth Decker View Post
      I know this isn't the point, but if he wanted to be clever, you can tell the card type by the first couple numbers in the card. I heard this somewhere on the internet, so it must be true.
      I think they were referring to the cardholder's name; not the card name (Visa, MC, Amex, etc.)

But you are correct. Visa starts with a 4; MC starts with a 5; Amex 3 and Discover 6. :-)
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
        I think they were referring to the cardholder's name; not the card name (Visa, MC, Amex, etc.)
        Oh dang. You're right. I read that post too fast. My bad.

Move along. Nothing to see here.
        "Jester, I have an opportunity for you." Uh oh. What does he want me to clean? "It 's a chance for you to make some extra money." Crap, it must be really gross!

-Jester

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post

But you are correct. Visa starts with a 4; MC starts with a 5; Amex 3 and Discover 6. :-)
          Yepsies!!

And since we only take Visa and MC... nice an easy.
          When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Working...
          X