This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 hour store introduces dresscode

Tesco gets fed up with people shopping in their PJ's. Fair play.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...ces_Dress_Code

I am all for that. I think it's slovenly to walk around in pajamas. Unless you're a little kid, have the decency to put on real pants before you leave the house.

You get extra ick-points if you're pajama pants say 'Princess' or 'Bootylicious' or have a sorority symbol on the butt.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

""If you're allowed to wear jogging bottoms, why aren't you allowed to wear pyjamas in there, that's what I don't understand. It is ridiculous and stupid. I go in other shops in my pyjamas and they don't say anything.

They should be happy because you're going to spend all that money."
      Oh no, she said it...

Um...maybe the other shops don't say anything because they don't care. To me there is a difference between running pants and pajamas...the former is at least "normal" to wear when running to the store.

Seriously, how hard is it to at least throw on a real pair of pants and shoes before you go out the door? You're up anyway.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

this is what i posted as a reply there

"They should be happy because you're going to spend all that money."

Most likely if someone is shopping in their night clothes they're not going to be spending large amounts of money.

And with some outfits I'm sure there's NO amount of money that can make up for forcing others to have to view it. Although perhaps some brain bleach might come in handy.

Now if only Wal-Mart would do that....

Comment

99% of the time they're there for one purpose: cigarettes.
          It's tradition, or an old charter, or something!

Comment

I'll occasionally shop in my pjs. The grocery store is across the street. It's my day off, and that's the only place I'm going. I throw on a jacket, and that's it. All my bits are covered, which is more than I can say for some "acceptable" outfits. Why should I spend 10 minutes getting dressed to go out, then another 10 getting back in to my comfy jammies when I'm going to be out for maybe 30 minutes? You call it slovenly, I call it practical. Again, I point out that my pjs cover me, have no holes, are not filthy, and do not smell bad. I absolutely cannot see how anyone can call that slovenly compared to the cooter-contour exposing booty shorts that slut-puppies wear, the shorts-exposing beltless dress code of gangsta-wannabes, the stained wife-beater and cut-offs of the Redneckius Maximus, or any of a thousand other variants of clothing not covered by the "pj ban," but are infinitely more offensive to the sensibilities.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I've heard of a theory that says pajamas shouldn't be "contaminated" by the outside (dirt, muck, etc). In a grocery store, it seems there would also be some health/safety concerns.

When I was taking classes out at Mass Bay, my mom decided to drive me one frigid morning (I usually took the train, but she didn't want me waiting in the cold any more than I absolutely had to). We left the house early enough to stop for coffee. The Dunkin Donuts in question is on a main drag (Route 9) with a side street next to the parking lot.

Picture this: easily single-digits, as I exit the car I see a woman clad in nothing but a bathrobe and fuzzy slippers (I have three layers on plus scarf, hat and mittens) come out of a house across the side street and into the parking lot, nearly falling about a half-dozen times.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                I'll occasionally shop in my pjs. The grocery store is across the street. It's my day off, and that's the only place I'm going. I throw on a jacket, and that's it.
                Broom, you live in the same city as I do. PJ's in this weather take on a WHOLE different meaning.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I don't really want people to know I go around the house in fuzzy Garfield pajamas on cold days. (I sleep in very little - t-shirts, tank tops - because I get really hot at night). Even if I just have one errand, it doesn't take much effort to put on jeans, a hoodie, and my boots.
                  "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                  Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                    Why should I spend 10 minutes getting dressed to go out, then another 10 getting back in to my comfy jammies when I'm going to be out for maybe 30 minutes?
                    It takes you 10 minutes to change your pants?

I generally roll my eyes when I see people out and about in PJs, but whatever. I wouldn't wear them outside the house myself, but I'd rather see someone in PJs than some of the stuff that gets posted on, say, People of Walmart. As long as you're covered up.

the new rules, designed to prevent the relaxed shopping habits of the minority from embarrassing more respectably-attired shoppers.
                    Why should you be embarrassed because you are actually wearing real clothes and someone you don't even know is in their PJs? If you are embarrassed by what a complete stranger is wearing, you need to get over yourself.
                    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 01-29-2010, 11:36 PM.
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

now if we could institute this is in schools.
                      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I occasionally have gone out in PJ pants as well if I'm only going to be gone for a few minutes. Most of them are solid color so they don't look much different from like a pair of sweat or jogging pants. I am dressed appropriately otherwise, so anyone who has an issue can just deal.

That's not to say that they aren't people out there who do dress inappropriately when going out. But if your comfy PJ pants aren't bad and you're just going out to pick up medicine or something, who cares? I work in a 24 hour pharmacy store, and given a choice, we'd rather see a customer in decent looking PJs than someone who is obviously dressed otherwise inappropriately. Of course, since we are a pharmacy and there is a hotel right next door, socially there is a higher tolerance for it.

If you can't be bothered to change out of your night-clothes, it's not likely you possess any of the aptitudes which make the world around us a better place; stoical parenting, selfless duty to others, or the ability to hold down a job.
                        That quote in the article PISSED ME OFF. Admitedly, if I don't change out of my PJ pants before going out, yes, that is laziness on my part. But it has absolutely NO relevance to my other abilities. I work 10 hour shifts on my feet in the middle of the night, which is something not many people are willing to do, and I am damn good at it. Talk about judging a book by its cover. I'm sorry if I'm overreacting to it, but that's just messed up. Yes I'm lazy when I'm not at work. It's cause I've worked a long day and I'm tired, damnit.

I would agree a heck of a lot more with that article if that did not posses that quote in there.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                          I am all for that. I think it's slovenly to walk around in pajamas. Unless you're a little kid, have the decency to put on real pants before you leave the house.

You get extra ick-points if you're pajama pants say 'Princess' or 'Bootylicious' or have a sorority symbol on the butt.
                          Worse are the booty short kinds...or women with curlers still in their hair, walking around in fluffy bedroom slippers or a freakin' robe.
                          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

while im all for this i do have two concerns.

1) Ive been know to throw on skaters and jeans under my night gowns when i need to run fo r something real quick. the only mention the need for real pants and shoes but they did say 'no PJs or Nightgowns.' So if i went to one of these stores what would they do? I am wearing shoes and jeans.

2) I have a pair of PJ bottoms i use as sweat pants and have been know to wear all day. the only thing that makes them PJs is that they are thinner than sweats and since i live in the 3rd level of hell and all lighter is better.
                            If i come in wearing these, having worn them all day, would some one like me get kicked out?

see heres the problem with dress codes like these.

Comment

But what will the students on their late night munchies run do now?

Personally I hated the pyjama bottom fashion and still think it makes you lazy to go around like that (the day I wore it I couldn't be bothered to get dressed :P). Seriously, put on some clean pants.

In other news ever since I discovered Tesco imports food items from a company from home country I've been in love with them and wish to meet whoever set up this contract in ways that will lead to his/her eventual divorce.

So Tesco, good for you for making people put on real pants, I'll see you in the broom closet in 5 minutes.
                              How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Working...
                              X