This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Are The World 25

Okay, so now there's a remake of "We Are The World" for the Haiti earthquake. Here's the link: http://www.myspace.com/world25.. Then there's the original (done in 1985 for the Ethiopian famine) :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnOi3QjDYfo. The remake is for lack of better words (IMO)....meh. I still prefer the original. Your thoughts?
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

I still prefer the original. Miley Cyrus, T-Pain, Akon, Kanye...blech. I'd rather have Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, Bob Dylan, The Boss, etc.....

That Myspace link is borked. Here's the youtube version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glny4...ature=featured

PS: Could someone tell Jamie Foxx he isn't actually Ray Charles? Or a musician?
    Last edited by AdminAssistant; 02-13-2010, 09:26 PM.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

It dates me horribly to say that I can remember the original one coming out. However, my memory is that the original was part of a groundswell of support for a beleagured area, but this comes well after the majority of support and attention has been garnered.

Just seems a bit late, though it may be time dulling memories.

Rapscallion

Comment

Let's see...

The intentions - great.
        Using Michael Jackson's voice - poor (What, was he the only one worth using from the original?)
        Half the voices are digitzied - poor
        The "added" part - poor

I'm with Raps, I remember the original coming out (as well as "Don't They KNow It's Christmas") and this one is nothing compared to the original, I'd hate to say but I might even classify the "new" version as a sell-out.

If you want to do something like this, do something original. The only reason I'd buy the album / single would be to help support the cause but I know how little will go from it so I'd be better off donating to the cause directly.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Oh yeah, the celebrity way of helping out. Get together and record a song, or put on a concert, and let the little people donate. And at least half the money goes to the celebs anyway.

I'm always very suspicious of things like this.

As much as I loathe Sean Penn and his politics, I do have to give him credit. He's at least down in Haiti giving his time surveying the damage and passing out water filters.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Good except for one person: Wyclef Jean...WTF...

Comment

I actually liked Wyclef Jean in this one, and I didn't even mind the rap portion. The original combined all types of popular music, and now rap is an extremely popular musical genre. Snoop, LL Cool J, will.i.am, and so on have all had major influences on American pop music, whether you like rap or not. I have more of an issue with the random Disney Channel toss in...I don't even know who that first kid is. However, Barbara Steisand, Tony Bennet, and other music icons were massively underused to make room for TPain and Autotune.
              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

First kid was Justin Bieber.

I also liked the rap portion. Autotune portion was meh.

I thought Miley was actually decent too.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                  It dates me horribly to say that I can remember the original one coming out.
                  I used to be able to play it on the piano.

Quoth draggar View Post
                  Using Michael Jackson's voice - poor (What, was he the only one worth using from the original?)
                  If he wasn't so recently deceased, would they have used it at all?
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Got this error message on the myspace link.

Sorry, the page you wish to access cannot be found. The user may not have an account.
                    "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Honestly, I think Carlos Santana should have played over the auto-tone portions.
                      I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth Mike Taylor View Post
                        Got this error message on the myspace link.
                        Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                        That Myspace link is borked. Here's the youtube version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glny4...ature=featured
                        Oops...sorry about that y'all. Guess they must've taken it down or someting.
                        I'm not all that crazy about the remake, particularly when Akon,Tpain and Lil' Wayne were autotuning the song. The rap was pretty cheesy, to be honest. Miley Cyrus...bleh. Jennifer Hudson, P!nk one of the few on there that sang good, besides the old school singers on there (Barbara Streisand, Tony Bennet). I must admit the Creole verses Wyclef threw in there was a nice touch. But I still prefer the original (even though I was a wee one back when it came out).
                        Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 02-14-2010, 07:06 PM.
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I admit I didn't look at it, and have no intention of looking or listening to it if I can at all avoid it. (Thank goodness my local radio station won't touch it with a 20ft pole)

As far as I'm concerned, it's already been used for a form of disaster relief; to use it again for a different disaster, in my opinion, cheapens both the original cause and the new one. I felt similar for Elton John redoing Candle in the Wind.

If you want a song with those goals, then hire some writers (I think there's one or two actual song writers left, isn't there?) and MAKE a song. Don't try to hang onto the coat tails of another famous relief song.

Comment

Working...
                          X