This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another lockout story!

I get these a lot... So we just had a RUSH of emergency calls, and I'm a little stoked... then all of a sudden we're dead again.. and I get this call.

SW: Sucky Woman
    Me: I'll give you 3 guesses, and the first two don't count.

SW: Hi, my son is on his way home from work, and he locked his keys in his car. I was wondering if a Sheriff could come by (I think she means Deputy) to open the car.
    Me: Okay, is there a child or an animal locked inside? (If there is, we can go out and force entry).
    SW: No, it's just his keys.
    Me: Okay, then there's nothing we can do, you'll have to call a locksmith.
    SW: Well, there are none open this late! (2230 on a monday, there are 24hr locksmiths.... ???)
    Me: There are 24hr locksmiths open in the valley, you'll have to call one of them.

Here's where the call goes downhill...

SW: This is rediculous. Why should I have to pay money when a Sheriff is perfectly capable of opening the door?
    Me: Ma'am, we don't carry slim jims in our packs anymore, we're not able to open the locks.
    SW: THAT'S A LIE. YOU'RE LYING TO ME. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE LYING TO ME. IT'S NICE TO KNOW OUR TAX DOLLARS ARE GOING TO PEOPLE WHO LIE TO US!
    Me: Ma'am, I'm not lying. You have to call a locksmith, our officers don't have the tools.
    SW: BUT YOU SAID YOU COULD OPEN IT IF THERE'S A CHILD INSIDE! YOU LIED TO ME!
    Me: Ma'am, we either force entry, or call a locksmith ourselves. We have several under contract that we call out.
    SW: WELL THIS IS JUST GREAT *click*

Wow... so... her kid's been at work for the last little while, knew he locked his keys in his car, gets out, calls his MOM to call the cops to get them to open the door instead of calling a locksmith ANYTIME in between work and getting off...

and I'M the reason she's angry...
    Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Firstly, your post tags are cruel. :P

Secondly...you just know she called up Precious and told him that the police were being all mean and refusing to open his car. Man...if I did somehting so boneheaded, my mom would've told me to deal with it myself.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I have never locked my keys in my car. The only time I was locked out of my house was because the person inside was passed out drunk and I had lent them my key... Even then I had a spare that I could access. Does this make me not retarded?
      "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

I think those post tags are brilliant!

Comment

Why yes Madame we can retrieve those keys for you...

*SMASH* *dedo dedo dedo...*

Anything else you want broken Mame?

(I would make a terrible police officer...)
          *There is no greater gift than to be reborn with every heartbeat*
          *Grudges should only be held for as long as it takes to deliver a proper vengence!*

Comment

The few times I've locked my keys in the car I've been able to get them out using a common pocket knife and a wire coat hanger. A very simple and adaptable method, really. I had the cops called on me the second time I used it, though:

I was locked out in front of the grocery store, and apparently someone thought I was trying to steal a car in full view of everyone. The fact that I actually said "Thank god, you're just the people I was hoping to see!" first thing pretty much derailed that suspicion, though. After they ran the VIN against my ID to be sure I really owned the car, they popped my lock for me and I was on my way.

They were very professional about the whole thing, and I completely understand separating me from my sharp bit of metal, but I still don't know whether to be annoyed or flattered they thought me potentially dangerous enough they were fingering their tasers while I was sitting on the curb when the tags were being run, even though I was being nothing but polite and compliant.
            Last edited by JustADude; 06-03-2008, 10:31 AM.
            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Closest I ever came to locking keys in a car, was the time I had them in the hand I closed the door on.

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
                I have never locked my keys in my car. The only time I was locked out of my house was because the person inside was passed out drunk and I had lent them my key... Even then I had a spare that I could access. Does this make me not retarded?
                OH MY GOD! When I was living with my ex-husband in our first apartment, I had gone out one night with some friends. (he and I had an argument earlier and I wanted to stay out late to avoid him) Well, as usual, he drank himself into a stupor and passed out dead to the world. I got home around 3am to find both locks locked. The deadbolt was only on the inside and not something we had a key for. I had to sleep in my car. The next day, he didn't believe me at first. I told him to be careful getting into the car because my glasses could be on the seat, he asked why. I snapped, "CAUSE I SLEPT IN THE FUCKING CAR!" He didn't believe I was locked out. I asked if he recalled getting out of bed in the morning (when he could finally hear me knocking) to unlock the deadbolt that can only be unlocked from the inside and he paused for a moment then started laughing. I was still not amused.
                "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I know taxi drivers can unlock cars... for a fee of course.

But the taxi would get there pretty quick, I should think. And they do it efficiently and quickly. I think it's 20 bucks?
                  "You're not gone five minutes, Agent Scully, and I'm already starting to feel like a stranger in my own office-"
                  -Agent Doggett

Comment

Oh if I did not own a volvo I would of locked the keys in my car at least 20 times now. You can not lock the driver door unless it is closed from the inside or outside with a key.

Comment

My first 2 cars had plain ordinary locks on them, the ones that the police or fire department can open from the outside with a coat hanger or something. I'm not sure about my new car which has electric locks. But this one is impossible to lock your keys in the car because the keys are attached to the little device they sometimes give you. So I can only lock my car up with the remote control from the outside.
                      As for being locked out of my car, how many of you had it happen to you 2 times in 3 days? Yes, you heard right. Boy I felt like the dumbest person in the world, but the fire department was nice about it.
                      I am ever so glad that I have a car with electric locks now.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                        They were very professional about the whole thing, and I completely understand separating me from my sharp bit of metal, but I still don't know whether to be annoyed or flattered they thought me potentially dangerous enough they were fingering their tasers while I was sitting on the curb when the tags were being run, even though I was being nothing but polite and compliant.

That's because officers go through training to treat every call like someone could potentially go nuts on them. There was a fellow I used to work with who was one of the "training perps" for traffic stop training once. He saw one young cop get creamed by a little old lady who had a concealed sawed-off (they used some kind of paint rounds for training) hiding in her knitting. They had set it up as a "never let your guard down" scenario, based off something that happened in real life with a paranoid senior and a very lucky patrolman who lived to tell the tale.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                        X