X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swinging the banhammer freely...

Mostly SC stories here. A bit CoC, too.

The day started off so nice, too. I walked into the office with a big pile of bubble wrap (which I had put there the day before) and started my day by making a bubble wrap scarf. How can you start a day like that and have it go downhill so fast?

First, let's count how many people I banned.

Smoking violations

Two rooms were banned for smoking violations. One of them had cleverly stuffed dryer sheets in the vents on the PTAC to try and cover the smell. The second room made no attempt whatsoever. They also spilled beer all over the carpet. They also had four people when they only paid for two, and spilled loose tobacco everywhere.

Ban count: 3 (one name registered to first room, 2 names registered to second room)

Trashed room the first

This one actually started last night. Guest had been staying in a double room with his buddies, but when he paid to stay over he said it was just going to be him for the night. CW checked him into a single room yesterday at 2pm. At 8:30pm, he said he wanted to move to a double. I told him that late that I didn't have anyone who could clean the room and rerent it. I told him he could pay for a second room. He got very irate. In the morning, I heard from CW her version and somehow felt even less bad that I denied him.

Today, he had two other people in the room, so apparently they still managed with one bed. They took their sweet time getting out of the room, which apparently they did the day before as well. They ripped the towel rack out of the wall. Banhammer time!

Ban count: 4

Trashed room the second

The guest in this room (1) stole our comforter, (2) carved a hole in the wall ("she must have been looking for wall-treasure", according to Head Housekeeper), (3) pulled the carpet baseboards away from the wall, (4) made a mess in general.

Ban count: 5

Those aren't insulin needles

Housekeeper went into a stayover room. She reported the guests weren't there, but that there were syringes on the counter. I took a look, and sure enough, three uncapped syringes were lying there. The plunger was pulled out of one, and had a suspicious brown residue.

Housekeeper: "I mean, maybe they're insulin needles?"
    Me: *eyeing brown residue* "Yeah...those aren't insulin needles. Just put this down as a no service, and note why on the paperwork."

I put a note that the people in the room were not allowed to extend their stay further (they are due to checkout tomorrow) and banned both the names on the room.

TOTAL BAN COUNT: 7

I think that may be a new record for me!

Drunky McDrunkerson

Guest was in a nonsmoking room and was set to move to a smoking room for the rest of the weekend. He came down to the office to pay for his stay, and we tell him we'd call him as soon as his smoking room was ready.

12:30pm when the room was ready, CW tried to call him, and no answer. I went to pound on the door.

Me: *knock knock knock* "Manager!"
    Me: *can hear music in room*
    Me: *knocks harder* "Manager!"
    Dog in room: "Woof!"
    Me: *tests master key; sees deadbolt is on*
    Me: *super-hard "police" knock* "MANAGER!"
    SC: *mumble*
    Me: "I'm sorry, I can't hear you through the door, can you open up?"
    SC: *mumble*
    Me: "I. CAN'T. HEAR. YOU. PLEASE. OPEN. THE. DOOR."
    SC (wrapped in a blanket): *opens door a crack* "mumble mumble"
    Me: "You room is ready for you to move in to. If you'll come to the office, we can get you set up with your new room key."
    SC: *shuts door in my face*

1pm, SC hadn't shown. I knocked on his door because he wasn't answering his phone. To make a long story short, reread the above dialogue, because that's how it went down. I added a bit more urgency.

Me: "We need to clean this room because we have a reservation going into it."
    SC: "mumble mumble awake mumble" *shuts door*

1:20pm, replay the above again. Getting him to open his door to talk to me was like pulling teeth. He kept trying to talk through the door, and with the highway traffic I couldn't hear him. He would not answer the phone, either!

1:45pm, SC finally came out and got his key. He had his cellphone glued to his ear the whole time. Head Housekeeper reported she saw him fighting with his girlfriend. His cellphone was still glued to his ear. In fact, the rest of the day, he spent wandering around our property or standing with his girlfriend, cellphone constantly held to ear.

If you're sick, just don't come to work

One of my housekeepers was useless today. She's a newer hire, and a drama queen.

First, she didn't do a room she was asked to. The guest was away and wanted his room cleaned. Head Housekeeper checked on her and reminded her four times to clean that room next. When the guest returned, he was miffed to see his room still hadn't been cleaned.

Then, she had a breakdown. She called CW at the desk, who's also her mom, crying about how she can't focus and she's not feeling well and blah blah blah. CW told her that she needed to talk to her bosses (myself and Head Housekeeper). Housekeeper didn't say a word to anyone for another hour, when she said she couldn't handle it today and was throwing up in the rooms and wanted to go home. Out of 17 rooms, she did 7, and three of those were stayovers that didn't want service so she only really did 4.

She told Head Housekeeper and I that she'd wiped down everything in the room she had been working on (2nd smoking violation from above). We send her home, finish the laundry we were working on, and I head out there. She's wiped down nothing. She had been in that room for an hour, and had merely picked up the trash.

I ended up going home and changing into jeans and a t-shirt, since I was dressed business-casual, and coming back to help Head Housekeeper finish laundry and pick up Housekeeper's rooms. CW stayed after her shift and helped make beds, so we were able to finish at a reasonable time. Not sure if CW was doing it for the extra hours, or if she felt partially responsible for her daughter flaking on us (probably both).

Why didn't you radio back?

A guest left their own personal ashtray sitting outside, and it disappeared. They asked me if I'd seen it. I hadn't, but I radioed around. Head Housekeeper responded saying she hadn't seen it. A while later, the guest called the office and asked again. CW radioed again. No one saw it.

After all this, well after we'd told the guest they were SOL (though in more polite terms), Maint Man handed Head Housekeeper the ashtray. Maint Man had a radio. It was working, because Maint Man responded when we told him earlier he had a call from his wife. Maint Man apparently ignored the radio when we were asking about the lost and found item. I think I want to beat Maint Man over the head with the radio now.

They stole what?

To top the day off, someone stole the ashtray from the employee smoking area. It's just a short pillar with a crappy-looking metal tray on top, and someone stole the metal tray.
    Last edited by bhskittykatt; 01-13-2013, 12:45 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Me: *eyeing brown residue* "Yeah...those aren't insulin needles. Just put this down as a no service, and note why on the paperwork."

I put a note that the people in the room were not allowed to extend their stay further (they are due to checkout tomorrow) and banned both the names on the room.
    Did you let the police know....

Comment

I saw that bubble wrap scarf....looked cool Sorry about all the dumb/lazy/stupid/nasty people out there though.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtM4DdLYFfI

Is this your post's theme song?
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
          A guest left their own personal ashtray sitting outside, and it disappeared.

To top the day off, someone stole the ashtray from the employee smoking area
          Is it just me, or is there a chance that these two could be connected?

After all, if this guest is an EW at heart (if that's not an oxymoron), "missing personal item that he shouldnt' have left alone outside of his room" equals "it's OK to steal hotel property", no?
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth CatsLairArchives View Post
            Did you let the police know....
            The police wouldn't deal with it. The thing is, even though it's in the room, actually proving it belongs to the person in question is a whole bag of worms that they typically don't want to deal with, since the accused can say housekeeping planted it there or that they found them in the room. You *could* use forensics, but they won't want to go through that hassle. Basically if the police want someone, they'll set up a sting. I could go into a whole rant about how hard it is to bust someone like that in a motel setting, but much of what I would say would be better suited to Fratching.

I do have an update regarding the syringe room, though. The guy on the room basically was paying for the gal to stay there, and was trying to get her clean while he could get her into rehab. He was very understanding and apologetic, and he tipped housekeeping $20, which we split amongst the housekeepers that had been cleaning that room during the stay.
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

You're right about that. Mrs. TGK was on insulin for a time--it's a clear liquid. Come to think of it, insulin is also perishible, so if you don't have mini-fridges in your hotel, the insulin would have to be a cooler.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

most diabetics are pretty good about keeping track of their needles particularly because we don't want people to assume we're junkies. though it can be fun to mess with people by shooting up in front of them.

the setting: wendys, sunday lunchtime (the church crowd is already there)
                I get my food and sit by myself a few tables away from 2 uniformed police officers and across from a family with 2 young kids. I test and then prep my injection, cops see me and know what's going on... the family on the other hand is staring in wide-eyed horror wondering why the cops aren't doing anything.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                  You're right about that. Mrs. TGK was on insulin for a time--it's a clear liquid. Come to think of it, insulin is also perishible, so if you don't have mini-fridges in your hotel, the insulin would have to be a cooler.
                  They are now making shelfstable insulin. Once I take my lantus vial out of the fridge, as long as I dont sit it out in the sun it is fine for 30 days. And bad insulin will get milky looking. Brown is not an option, though I just checked, if I accidentally spike a capillary I can suck back a dab of blood which would dry brownish. Spiking a capillary is a so-so bad thing, but occasionally happens.
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                    Brown is not an option, though I just checked, if I accidentally spike a capillary I can suck back a dab of blood which would dry brownish.
                    Yes, but dried blood and sticky heroin residue still have different appearances. Working in a cheap motel, I've seen enough of both to tell the difference.

Comment

Yes, but dried blood and sticky heroin residue still have different appearances. Working in a cheap motel, I've seen enough of both to tell the difference.
                      eeeuuuuwwwwww
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                        Insulin actually does not have to be refrigerated, though it does last longer if it is.

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                        And bad insulin will get milky looking.
                        Unless it's NPH insulin, or 70/30 insulin, in which case it's supposed to look milky.

Insulin should NEVER be brown.

My vote is heroin was in that syringe.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                        X