This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you for shop(lifting)...

Watching self-scan again today, and got a doozy. A guy hits the button for "Pay Cashier"; I go over, print out the save-order receipt and go over to the podium. I note that he has two boxes of ice cream treats, but the receipt only says that one was scanned.

Pull up order: one box at $4. Before I can take the second one out of the bag he had so helpfully packed, he swipes his card and pays.

Me: "Sir, do you want the second box? You only paid for one."
    SC: "I paid $4 for both!"
    Me: "No, it's $4 for ONE box." *goes to take the second one*
    SC: "No! I paid at that machine already! I'll show you!" *almost drags me bodily over to the kiosk* "See? I swiped my card already!"
    I humor him and reprint the last 3 transactions; no ice cream in any of them. "You did not pay here. You pressed the button to pay me. "
    SC: "Yes I did! This is wrong! I paid already and then paid you!"
    Me: "Please show me your first receipt so I know you paid for the other one."
    SC: "I don't have to! This is harassment!"
    Lather-rinse-repeat. Meanwhile other kiosks are calling for help, but I don't want to leave this guy. No easy way to call for a manager, I just have to wait until one happens to show up.

Eventually, he storms off with the bag containing both ice creams. I'm able to alert FEM to what happened, and FEM says to...just let him go. Which is understandable, the guy was getting agitated and I didn't want an incident.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Had a guy like that. African American couple, paying with food stamps and didn't have enough to cover all they had. They had removed a few items, and I asked to see their receipt to make sure they had gotten everything. The guy FLIPPED! I guess he thought I was being racist (I'm whiter than Elmers Glue), but he was causing so much of a scene I actually tried to call for the police officer who watched the door. Only, we had a new guy that night, and unlike the other ones who liked to sit in the Subway at the door he decided to sit in the security office and watch the security cameras. I figured it wasn't a winnable fight, the front end manager would side with me but anyone above her would fold like a bad hand at poker and probably get me in trouble besides. So I let him go.

TBH I don't think he was actually trying to steal anything. His wife, who was much calmer than he was, kept telling him to just let me see his receipt, but he kept going on about how I "thought I was the po'leese".

Comment

I don't usually ask to see receipts because I can see what's being scanned anyway, but this guy struck me as shady from the outset (one box set aside on the ledge, getting in the way so I couldn't see the itemized receipt before it printed, too eager to 'help' by bagging everything, not letting me see the bag until he made sure to pay, etc). The guy never actually threatened me, but I didn't want things to get out of control.

Yeah, it was only $4 that walked off, but it bugged me that I got played...
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
      X