This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grumpy SC

SC writes a check to a big box store for the purchase of a digital camera, to the tune of $200. SC takes camera home, unpacks it, and decides he doesn't like it. SC returns to store to return the camera (at least 2 days later). Clerk sees that the camera's been opened and offers store credit. SC flips, says he'll just stop payment on the check. Leaves camera at store.

SC comes into my bank. Talks to one of the tellers. Teller looks at account and sees that the check has already cleared. Teller informs SC that we can't do a stop payments. SC leaves in a huff.

SC calls store, demands they give him his money back. Store again offers store credit.

SC comes back into the bank. Talks to me (apparently thinking that he'll get a different answer). I tell him we can't do a stop payment on a check that's already cleared his account. I try to tell him that store credit is better than nothing.

"I don't want store credit. There's nothing in that store that I want for $200. I guess I'm out $200." SC stomps out of the bank.

Minor epilogue: I'm glad he didn't request that we return the check as fraudulent. We couldn't have, but it would have taken some time to explain why to a grumpy customer.

I still don't understand why he didn't take the store credit. He could have bought groceries, household goods, or even clothes with it, if he didn't want any other electronics.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Quoth Ghel View Post
    I still don't understand why he didn't take the store credit. He could have bought groceries, household goods, or even clothes with it, if he didn't want any other electronics.
    ...plus he doesn't have to spend it all in one day. He says there's nothing in the store that he wants for $200... so what?
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Hehe... at the call center for cellphones I had surprisingly many calls where someone would report check or credit fraud to there banks. So after the payment was reversed they were surprised when their service was shut off saying that they had paid.

Of course about 1 in 3 of those really were fraud, generally a kid took the parents information to pay their own account. Those were the ones I laughed at (well.. not out loud).

Comment

I'm betting he had something else he wanted to spend $200 on. Something the don't sell at the store.....
        Women can do anything men can.
        But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
        Maxine

Comment

lol, and he left the camera at the store? so after a couple days, no proof....

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
            lol, and he left the camera at the store? so after a couple days, no proof....
            And then they'll try to claim the store "stole" the camera from them. SC memory is a very malleable thing.

One (or all) of the following untrue statements may follow:
            - The CSR wouldn't give it back
            - The CSR said they'd hold it until the SC got back from the bank
            - The store is hiding the video of the transaction to hide the truth
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Wow, that's stupid. How can you stop payment on something that's already paid out? What did he want you to do, go to the store and take the money out of a cash register....?

And hell, you'd think he could find a number of things that would add up to $200...
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                Being in this man's shoes (I bought a camera with Birthday money only to learn that my wife bought me the same camera) I can understand that there may not be anything that's worth $200 that one might want.

But in my case I cheerfully took the Store Credit and bought another WoW prepaid time card, some batteries for my camera, a larger capacity SD card for my camera, a case for my iPad, a new remote bar for my Wii, a couple cases of Dr. Pepper, a new pair of shoes...I spent my $200 store credit (actually in my case it was $225ish) in 10's and 20's. $20 here, $ 10 there, $30 for the WoW card...etc.

That's just another fine example of pure weapon's grade bozo-nium there.
                I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Sparky View Post
                  I'm betting he had something else he wanted to spend $200 on. Something the don't sell at the store.....
                  That's what I was thinking as well.

Perhaps he owes somebody some money or they'll break his legs.

*starts singing along with Dumb Ways To Die vid on YouTube*
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Well all i can think it what a moron. I have a feeling this dork will be back and it won't be pretty.
                    You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

Non-update: I was off work yesterday for a dentist appointment, but I'm told that Grumpy didn't come back in to the bank to complain while I was gone. Hopefully, he came to his senses and accepted store credit.

I don't think it's a matter of him owing money, any more than usual for a retiree on a fixed income. I think it's just a matter of this customer being an EW and expecting the store or the bank to bend its policies to favor him. Here at the bank we've bent our rules many times for him on the concept of "the squeaky wheel gets the grease," but this was something we couldn't bend on, even if we wanted to.
                      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                        Here at the bank we've bent our rules many times for him on the concept of "the squeaky wheel gets the grease," but this was something we couldn't bend on, even if we wanted to.
                        Perhaps management at the bank should learn about the other (I believe it's Japanese) version of the proverb about "that which attracts attention gets special treatment" - the nail that sticks up gets hammered down.

When I saw the title of this thread, I wondered if "Grumpy, South Carolina" was a spinoff of the TV show "Eerie, Indiana".
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                        X