This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What else did you want me to do? or, Baseless Complaint #126954871-4

So my supervisor is helping a customer at the service counter and I go up to help the next person, who's been waiting a bit too long. As I go up reception tells us there's a call for us, so supervisor asks me to take it first. I do, and it's a lady who lost her keys. I first check the log book to see if someone has turned them in. There's an entry for keys, but by description they aren't hers. I think maybe they were turned in but not logged, so I check the drawer. I let her know they haven't been turned in. She tells me she left them in a cart by the mall door. I ask how long ago and she tells me an hour. I'm thinking the cart has been moved by now, but I go and look for her anyway. I see exactly one cart anywhere near the door, and there is nothing in it, nada, zilch, zero items of any kind. I go back and pick up the phone and tell her and she keeps talking about leaving them in a cart by the door. All I can do is tell her I didn't see them anywhere. She finally gives up before I can tell her that she should check back to see if anyone turns them in in the future.

Fast forward a half hour or so. I am talking to my supervisor when a customer interrupts to tell us she called about keys. Luckily I didn't give my name on the phone. She is complaining that the person said they looked--I'm thinking she thinks this was a lie--and she came and found them "right where she left them." My boss says a halfway "sorry about that", looks at me, and starts laughing.

The first thing he says to me is, "I watched you walk away and go look for them, and the place she was pointing to [where the keys were] is way down over there [halfway to the back of the store, nowhere near the door]." He tells me if she had pushed it, he would've said to her that he watched me go look. You know, the first couple of weeks he was here, I had an issue with him, but now I love him, lol.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Oh, if your boss had done that, then the SC would have declared that the boss was accusing her of --gasp!-- lying!
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

"What else did you want me to do?"

"Well, quite simply, devote your entire shift to turning the store upside down until you DO find my keys."

I still don't understand how some management seems convinced that customers do not lie.
      This could have gone down the wrong path quickly with one of those if they hadn't seen you perform the task. Glad he had your back.

Comment

Gah, I hate when that happens. Or, when the person calls back every 15 min to speak with every employee on duty asking them to look for the keys because they KNOW they must be there!
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something.... but why would anyone in their right mind leave something as important as their KEYS on some random cart in a public place... where ANYONE could just grab them, or the cart could be moved somewhere else?

Oh, that's right... I forgot where I was for a moment. She was lost in her own little world not even thinking anything which could remotely be considered rational.

Comment

My keychain is huge. Intentionally so. I am notorious for not being able to *see* the blasted thing laying right out in the open when it's just a single ring. The length makes it difficult for me to put it in a pocket, so I often drop it in the bottom of the cart so no one will snag them on a walk-by.

I have also more than once walked out to the car only to realize then that I don't have my keys with me. Yup, brain dead mistake, but it happens to the best of us.

And unless you're a guy and/or only use a wallet that fits in your back pocket to hold your valuables, us purse-users don't usually walk around the store with our purse slung over our shoulders. It's much easier to put it in the cart while we shop. Considering how rarely things actually get snatched out of carts, it's really not all that risky. Kinda like all the worry about strangers stealing your kids off the streets: yeah, it happens, but more often than not it's someone you know who's taken them.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
              ... Kinda like all the worry about strangers stealing your kids off the streets: yeah, it happens, but more often than not it's someone you know who's taken them.
              Or you've forgotten where you've left them... maybe with the keys? Oh No! I'm looking for my * again...
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

LOL!

Hey, at least my keys don't go wandering off on their own! They are *always* right where I left them. If I can just remember where that was......

Comment

We constantly get customers who come in, asking if we've seen their cell phone, keys, glasses, waht have you. 9 times out of 10, they've lost/left them somewhere else. I have one manager, however, who seems to think we need to expend as much effort as we can to help them find their stuff. I will look, and offer to take their name/nimber in case it shows up, but relaly? I don't have time to hunt every inch of the store, call their phone to see if it rings, etc. I'm sorry, but if you can't keep track of your crap, that's not my problem.

We did have one customer I felt badly for. She comes in after taking her parents out to eat, her dad sits, and she and her mom shop. they are all very nice. So she's in one night, and they go to leave, and she cannot find her keys anywher. Its actually one key/fob. We looked everywhere, but as she wasn't in very long ,it was a mystery. she dumped her purse, etc. but still nthing. like it had vanished. Finally, she calls someone to come get them, and then finds her key. Apparently she had a hole in the lining of her purse, and it somehow slipped in there. So now whenver anyone loses anything, I suggest that.

Comment

I lost my housekey somewhere between work and home last month, as I had one of those detachable keyrings, and it detached. I got home around midnight and had no way to get in, and it was in the the teens or low 20s outside. I called work, and they looked, and didn't find it. I didn't get mad at them; it was my fault I didn't have a spare. Thankfully our apt manager lives on-site.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                      LOL!

Hey, at least my keys don't go wandering off on their own! They are *always* right where I left them. If I can just remember where that was......
                      That's the problem I have with mine on occasion. There's been at least one time when they ended up spending the weekend at work on the desk beside the back computer.

Mine are hard to miss . . . large pink ribbon trimmed with rhinestones, a red flash drive and a pair of playing card charms on them with a purple belt hook. Rule at my store is if it's either pink or has flowers on it, it's probably belongs to DGoddess.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

At my old grocery store we had a tray full of house keys, the odd cell phone, customer saving cards, State ID's and other random stuff left behind but almost never car keys. One night we had a customer leave the keys to a VW (it had an enormous key fob on it, just my Aunt's new at the time Bug) behind, we figured she likely went to the drug store at the other end of the plaza and would be back shortly. End of the night and all the cars were accounted for except there was no Volkswagen's of any type in the lot... 2 months later the customer came back in for the keys, I asked her about it and she said that she just grabbed her spare set and didn't think anything about it at all as she drove away.

Comment

Quoth bbbr View Post
                          2 months later the customer came back in for the keys, I asked her about it and she said that she just grabbed her spare set and didn't think anything about it at all as she drove away.

WOW. I am surprised she realized where they were left after 2 months!
                          You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

Quoth AmethystSquirrel View Post
                            WOW. I am surprised she realized where they were left after 2 months!
                            Plus, today's remote fobs/keys aren't "have a new one made at the hardware store for a couple of bucks." They're expensive. I know I'd track mine down right away even if I had an alternative way to get home.

Comment

What is a "fob"?

Comment

Working...
                              X