This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It wasn't a calculated move made to offend you

or, not everything is about you. I was backing up the cashiers when the customer in front of me made some kind of joke, something about not having more than the dollar amount due. She had what looked like one of those VISA giftcards, so I didn't get she was joking, and told her she could just run the card first (thinking she would pay the change in cash, or whatever). I mention this because I think she was annoyed her joke didn't land, and that's why the following transpired:

She said something to no one in particular--there was me and other people with her--about sarcasm, which made me see she'd made a joke, but I didn't acknowlege it because sometimes silence is better. I didn't know if she was saying that to me or about me, and why make a big deal? I was hoping it would drop. So I finished and after her receipt printed out, she was doing something with her wallet, or the card reader, or something. I couldn't see. I set the receipt down on the counter. Immediately she asked, "Why didn't you hand it to me?" I was like o.O I did say sorry right away, since of course I didn't mean to offend her, but really there was no why. It wasn't something I did really deliberately. So I said sorry and told her it was because her hands were busy. Yeah, I used that phrase, which was weird. I have weird phrases sometimes. Well, I guess that satisfied her, because we heard nothing out of her after that.
    And here's the kicker: 2 people later the custy was busy with her bags, so I set her receipt down, and she didn't get offended at all, just took it and cheerfully thanked me. Imagine that!
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

One of my biggest peeves is customers/workers not handing me money/receipt and just putting it on the counter.

Obviously, if I need more time to finish something, then it's understandable and I'm cool with it. Most other situations, I'm not, lol.

Comment

Normally I hand them their receipt, but if they are taking forever I will put it down and start to bag their items.
      Some people.
      Life could be wonderful if people would leave you alone
      - Charlie Chaplin

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.
      - Captain Jack Sparrow

Comment

I try to hand receipts, but if they aren't paying attention/doing something else and it's busy, I'm going to stick it on the counter for them while I start dealing with the next customer. We only have two registers, it can get backed up fast.
        My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
        It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Regarding some people not handing others receipts or money: don't forget that some people have personal or cultural issues about touching strangers. Whether it's because they're germophobes, not touching the other gender, or just not paying attention, it's not always about being rude.
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Slayer View Post
            One of my biggest peeves is customers/workers not handing me money/receipt and just putting it on the counter.

Obviously, if I need more time to finish something, then it's understandable and I'm cool with it. Most other situations, I'm not, lol.
            In some countries, that's the appropriate thing to do. A friend of mine unintentionally offended a cashier when he handed her money instead of setting it on the counter (this was in Japan I think).

Comment

I can see both sides of the spoon here.
              As a customer, I prefer the cashier to wait a second if I am doing something (like putting my wallet away so I don't loose it) If they are patient I thank them. When a receipt is put down in a huff, I get annoyed feeling I am being rush and "Hey I got your money not get the hell out"
              As a cashier, I can see when someone is being slow I do want to get to the next customer, but I don't want to piss them off.
              Honestly, it all depends on the situation.
              You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                don't forget that some people have personal or cultural issues about touching strangers.
                I was talking more about my location. Where customers place it on the counter next to my outstretched hand and then hold out their hand for me to put the change. And where I give cashiers the money in their outstretched hand and put the change on the belt where I'm waiting to accept it in my hand.

If I'm traveling, then of course it's the lay of the land.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                  Regarding some people not handing others receipts or money: don't forget that some people have personal or cultural issues about touching strangers. Whether it's because they're germophobes, not touching the other gender, or just not paying attention, it's not always about being rude.
                  Tony Stark hates it when people hand items to him. He much prefers people set down the item near him so he can pick it up.

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
                    Tony Stark hates it when people hand items to him. He much prefers people set down the item near him so he can pick it up.
                    Pepper Potts, on the other hand, loves to be handed things.

Comment

I can't win, because when I stand there holding it, they seem rushed to take it and a little stressed over that. I'm chalking it up to most of the 55+ crowd here needs to complain.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                      X