Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I get to do some FUN stuff in my degree!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I get to do some FUN stuff in my degree!

So I had my first classes today for some of my topics. And from the looks of things, I get to do some really fun stuff:

-I have to make flash cards demonstrating how to write each individual letter. I'm thinking snakes or worms to show the direction of the strokes (head-to-tail)

-With a partner, I'm having to put together a presentation on a disability and how education methods would differ. I'm already thinking either hearing or sight difficulties, due to the complexities of having such students in a mainstream environment.

-I get to be recorded reading stories. (aka my "teacher voice")

-My Arts topic has me doing a "thematic study" for my main assessment (pick one of the arts and do a lesson plan on it). I'm thinking Carnival of the Animals and a study on program music.

-I also get to draw and make stuff in my arts class hehe
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

... you left out cookies & milk time ...
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
      ... you left out cookies & milk time ...
      actually I did forget something....my school placement

ETA: And ANOTHER thing I forgot to mention was more of a fun thing for me, but for each week I'm at uni, we can put a little picture in our profile box. I found an avatar program (www.tektek.org/dream) and I've been creating a buttload of avatars off of that.
      Last edited by fireheart; 02-27-2012, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
        -With a partner, I'm having to put together a presentation on a disability and how education methods would differ. I'm already thinking either hearing or sight difficulties, due to the complexities of having such students in a mainstream environment.
        If you want, you could use either me or my schizoaffective wife as case studies. I'd be happy to help. She's a touch busy in her life at the moment, but I can pin her down and have her talk with you.

My disability is fibromyalgia (PCOS isn't going to affect any children until menarche, but I can cover that as well).

Fibro affects endurance, physical capability, and mental comprehension. 'fibrofog' is a well known phenomenon among fibro patients and their doctors. It is also a pain disorder, and I suspect fibro kids would be highly vulnerable to bullies (increased pain sensitivity).

NOTE: this is just an offer, do whatever you wish.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

In "Things I'm Not Allowed To Do.." you mentioned story time...

You could do like my mother: She Spoonerized a few of our favorite stories...

"This is the story of the Pea Little Thrigs and the Wig Waad Bolf..."

... of course this will wind up your students, not settle them down ...

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post

NOTE: this is just an offer, do whatever you wish.
            Thanks for the offer, but I'm having to look at it from an education standpoint.

And dalesys, my lecturer already seems to wind us up....first lesson he told us about the boy who's favourite thing to do was "whipping it out" and was blubbering when told off.

Comment

I'm already thinking either hearing or sight difficulties, due to the complexities of having such students in a mainstream environment.
              A little off-topic, but Jazzy has two kids in her class with sight problems and they're mainstreaming rather well. One has just had an operation to help him see a bit better, so their teacher explained what was happening at an age-appropriate level and it means that the kids remind him to put on his sunnies (he has developmental problems too) and remind each other not to throw the bark or sand. They're both fitting in really well and as far as I can tell, there hasn't been any bullying issues.
              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
                A little off-topic, but Jazzy has two kids in her class with sight problems and they're mainstreaming rather well. One has just had an operation to help him see a bit better, so their teacher explained what was happening at an age-appropriate level and it means that the kids remind him to put on his sunnies (he has developmental problems too) and remind each other not to throw the bark or sand. They're both fitting in really well and as far as I can tell, there hasn't been any bullying issues.
                I'll keep that in mind. We also have to write an essay on the disability that we picked for the powerpoint presentation.

One of the issues we're discussing at the moment is labelling kids with special needs and the stigma attached to the label: not only for the students, but also for the teachers and the parents.

I am really looking forward to my field placement actually. We do get to pick a school, but no guarantees that we'll actually GET that school. I'm considering the Steiner school located near my boyfriends house and/or the Montessori school located near home. The only rules for the school are that we can't go to a school where there are relatives of any description and we shouldn't return to our old stomping grounds so to speak

Comment

... we shouldn't return to our old stomping grounds so to speak
                  My daughter recognized the principal at one of the schools she student-taught at... as a principal she had bitten! (in 2nd grade) The recognition wasn't mutual

Comment

So I just got back from my first music class. That was AWESOME!

The main content of the lesson was on form in music. So we ended up creating a mini "musical" number based around simple concepts (ostinato, keeping time and so on) to a 4-line poem. My groups poem?

"Willie built a guillotine,
                    Tried it on his sister Jean,
                    Said mother as she got the mop,
                    These messy games have got to stop!"

We came up with the idea of doing an intro around a brother and sister fighting, then our A section was us doing it in unison, B section was just the instruments solo, then A section again was the poem with two little ostinatos underneath (guillotine and sister were our choices). The guy who was doing the guillotine line was pulling faces while playing the guiro making it so hard for us to keep a straight face

ETA: The tutor/teacher picked those poems out of a book, not us. The poems were from books like Unreal Banana Peel, Alright Vegemite and so on! (June Factor I think?)
                    Last edited by fireheart; 02-29-2012, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Willie and two other brats
                      Licked up all the Ruff-On-Rats
                      Father said when mother cried
                      "Don't worry dear, they'll die outside"

Little Willie killed his wife
                      Stretched her on the parquet flooring
                      Quoth he, "I was loathe to take her life,
                      But I had to stop her snoring."

From an American folklore book my mother had when I was a wee lad in need of inspiration...

ETA: and even more

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        Willie and two other brats
                        Licked up all the Ruff-On-Rats
                        Father said when mother cried
                        "Don't worry dear, they'll die outside"

Little Willie killed his wife
                        Stretched her on the parquet flooring
                        Quoth he, "I was loathe to take her life,
                        But I had to stop her snoring."

From an American folklore book my mother had when I was a wee lad in need of inspiration...

ETA: and even more

I actually was driving home from uni the other night and had this straight urge to start wanting to arrange "Don't Hold Back" by the Potbelleez for piano and vocal

When I can find my upgrade code, I'm going to install Sibelius back onto my laptop.

Comment

Working...
                        X