This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Little Retail Rabbit View Post
    He just wasn't paying attention to the screen when he bought it, and realised later he'd been charged (I can't remember exactly if it was £99.99 or £999, even though I think I said in the OP the latter...all I know was there were multiple nines and it WAS super expensive ).
    um, what kind of tape measure costs $99, let alone $999? ( I know you can't tell us. it's a reaction to the price.) especially since it's in a trade buyers section, since that's usually cheaper. the only thing I can think of is if you just have to point at whatever you want measured, and it measured the object itself... I'd have thought an ordinary tape measure? he'd have been better off accepting the refund, and getting an ordinary tape measure instead.

second, how did the store screw up? it was run through self-checkout, so for all I know, he did grab it from wherever the tradepoint stuff is kept in your store. (I don't know how it's dealt with in your store, so if it is kept separate by more than being a different section, feel free to correct me)

in short, an extremely sucky customer, who needs to learn to keep a better eye on what he buys.

Comment

Quoth sstabeler View Post
      um, what kind of tape measure costs $99, let alone $999?
      It might be a laser tape measure. Those can get very expensive. A quick Google search revealed models priced from US$100.00 to US$800.00.

The sale of a laser tape measure could easily be restricted to those in the trade due to the safety issues with lasers.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I see now that it was a packaged knife, but a threat is a threat.

Next time something like this happens, you need to not only have someone call 911, but secretly stall the guy and intentionally slow yourself down. The guy will become MORE irate and harp on you, but you'll know the cops are on their way. Eventually the guy will keep getting angrier and angrier and either storm out so you (hopefully) won't have to worry about him, or he'll stay there, and you'll have your line of witnesses to help you out.

Comment

I wonder what would have happened if the store had a display of machetes - and a wannabe Crocodile Dundee.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth sstabeler View Post
            second, how did the store screw up?
            Simple. Something went wrong on the self-checkout, as it failed to run the Summon(Genie) subroutine in order to instantly make someone appear who could fix the problem caused by his own inattention.

Either that, or they failed to go along with his likely scam attempt, trying to get an expensive, easily resellable tool for a fraction of its actual worth. And, as we know, the customer is always right, so that makes them at fault for not letting him cheat them...

Quoth emax4 View Post
            I see now that it was a packaged knife, but a threat is a threat.
            Indeed. A person who would threaten you with a packaged knife would also likely not think twice before ripping it out of its packaging and continuing to threaten you.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              I wonder what would have happened if the store had a display of machetes - and a wannabe Crocodile Dundee.
              That's not a threat!

*points to pair of big cops approaching SC*

Now that's a threat!

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                Indeed. A person who would threaten you with a packaged knife would also likely not think twice before ripping it out of its packaging and continuing to threaten you.
                Yes, but if the packaging on that knife is the kind I think it is, he'd probably have had a devil of a time getting it OUT of said packaging.

Certainly long enough for the OP to come along with their tallywhacker (read: mallet) and smash his hand.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  To be fair, if it's in the more or less standard hard plastic sealed packaging that most hardware tools come in nowadays, he'd probably still be trying to get it out of its packaging now, and/or have torn his hands up worst than the knife would have done.

PS Gratz on the new job LRR.

Comment

Working...
                  X