This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mood Swing From Hell!!!

Lat week I was the the till and a customer came up to me and asked, very nicely, if we had books on tape or CD. I told her yes and asked if she had wanted adult or childrens. She smiled and politely said "I will have a look through children and then move on to adult". I showed her where to go and she thanked me. She was very nice.

I go back to the till and start doing what I was doing before I showed her where the audio books were, and I hear the customer say (very loudly) "where are all the audio books"!? I look up because of the loudness and nastiness of what she said, and I see that she is yelling at my co-worker, Annie, who had happened to walk by.

The following conversation happens: some sentences are not exact, but they say what she was saying.

A= Annie
    C= Cun*stomer

A "They are right here (points to where C was looking in the first place) and the adult ones are over there............."

C "Yes! I know, we will get to that later, right now I wanna know where all the OTHER audio books are, because this is all for children.....don't you have anything for older people"?

A "Yes, we have our adult section............"

C "NO!" "Not ADULT, I want something for someone over 5, you know not just books for babies"

A "Well, these are not for babies, they are for children" "We don't have books on tape for babies"

C "You know what I mean, for older children, I want the Famous Five"!

A "I don't think that we have any of them on tape, as they are older...perhaps we could order one".

C "Well, I can't believe that you don't have ANY Famous Five on tape"! "Don't you know what they are"? "I mean, every other bookshop would have it, WATERSTONES (our biggest competition, next door) would have it"!

A "They might, but this is all we have in I am afraid"

C "Well, it is ridiculous". "WHY don't you have any"?

A "I am not sure, but maybe because they are old books, we only put out what they send in, we don't order books ourselves"

C "Ok, well, I guess I will have to try another shop". "Now, I need another book on tape, Dr. Who"
    A "Well, I will go have a look in the adult section"

......................Annie goes to look, Cun*stomer follows.............................

A "I'm sorry, it looks like we don't have any Dr. Who"

C "Are you kidding me"? "How could you NOT have any Dr. Who, it is a popular show"!

A "Yes, I know it is popular, but we just do not have any in"

C "Well, I don't know why I even asked, I don't believe WHS doesn't have Dr. Who, I thought this was a BOOKSTORE"!

A "Well, I am sorry, but we have no control of what is sent in, we can try to order them for you though"

C "No, nevermind, I will be going to Waterstones, as I should have done before, but my friend bought me these stupid WHS vouchers, I shall tell her to never buy me THOSE again
    "
    A "Ok, then"

....................Annie walks away and we give eachother a look.....you know........
    ...................Annie then walks back to where the lady was, to finish the charts....

I hear C shouting at Annie again...but couldn't make out what was going on. I asked later and this is what I was told.....

She asked Annie if we carried the Encyclopedia Britannica. Annie told her no (of course we don't, we are a smaller name chain shop NOT Barnes and Nobels or Macy's) and that she would probably have to get something like that online or at a specialsit shop. C asked why. Annie told her because they were about £1000.00 and a small bookshop wouldn't have them. C insisted that we did have them and that her friend had bought it here "last week" (I love when they insist that we have something in stock cause a "friend" bought one there, even when I know we never sold it or it was a one off). Annie told her "nope". C tells her that she has never had such bad service and that by the way, the encyclipedia is only £40.00.

WTF? £40.00? Maybe for each volume!!!!

When the lady left, she smiled at me and said "good bye".

I have no idea what her problem was, but I hope Waterstone's enjoyed her business!!!!
    "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Quoth WHShit View Post
    She asked Annie if we carried the Encyclopedia Britannica. Annie told her no (of course we don't, we are a smaller name chain shop NOT Barnes and Nobels or Macy's) and that she would probably have to get something like that online or at a specialsit shop. C asked why. Annie told her because they were about £1000.00 and a small bookshop wouldn't have them. C insisted that we did have them and that her friend had bought it here "last week" (I love when they insist that we have something in stock cause a "friend" bought one there, even when I know we never sold it or it was a one off). Annie told her "nope". C tells her that she has never had such bad service and that by the way, the encyclipedia is only £40.00.

Do they even sell Britannica as seperate volumes? I mean, do enough people think to themselves, "Screw the rest of the letters, I just want to read Sa-Sh" that they do that?
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Barnes & Noble doesn't sell the Encyclopedia Britannica, either...there are other books put out by the company, but not the entire encyclopedia
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I've never known any bookseller to carry encyclopedia sets . . . I thought those were sold straight through the companies via distributors.

Or, at least that was how my Mom got me a set of World Book Encyclopedias (including the entire Childcraft series and 2 volume Dictionary set) when I was 6.

Silly Blonde me . . .
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I was being sarcastic about the seperate volumes, but I imagine there is some weirdo out there who WOULD like to read just one! LOL!

Also, I said Barnes and Noble cause I couldn't think of a fancier book store at the time. I guess Britannica are even more rare than I thought!

I still can't believe that the woman thought that our little branch of WHS sold it AND insisted her friend BOUGHT one from us! Idiot!

People seem to think that after we have said "no" to something being in stock, if they say that their "friend saw it" or that their "friend bought it" last week/month/year, it will make it magically appear! Fools! I am smarter than them! Muwhahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa
          "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Comment

I haven't seen Encyclopedia Britannica since 1976! Nowadays I use Wikipedia.

Comment

All I remember from the Encyclopedia Britannica was that nerdy, long blond-haired kid who did the advertisements in the 90's. XD
              "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                do enough people think to themselves, "Screw the rest of the letters, I just want to read Sa-Sh" that they do that?

Just spilled water on myself for the second time in about 5 minutes, while reading through the site.

I know...I should know better than to violate one of the major rules of the site.
                Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth WHShit View Post
                  She asked Annie if we carried the Encyclopedia Britannica. ... C insisted that we did have them and that her friend had bought it here "last week" (I love when they insist that we have something in stock cause a "friend" bought one there, even when I know we never sold it or it was a one off). Annie told her "nope". C tells her that she has never had such bad service and that by the way, the encyclipedia is only £40.00.

Maybe for a concise desk version. They don't make the sets any more. It's an on-line subscription service, like the OED.
                  Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Actually they do, you can buy the sets at britannica.com. It's like $2,000 + for a set, but you can do it.
                    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                      I haven't seen Encyclopedia Britannica since 1976! Nowadays I use Wikipedia.
                      I prefer Uncyclopedia.org!
                      No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
                        Maybe for a concise desk version. They don't make the sets any more. It's an on-line subscription service, like the OED.
                        In the early 80's, I worked at a bookstore. I coveted a copy of the OED, but no way could I afford one. I settled for the Compact. Even with discounts, it still cost me about $100 back then. Yes, I still have it, and the magnifying glass, too! (They made it "compact" by printing 4 pages worth of material on each page.)
                        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                          Nowadays I use Wikipedia.
                          I check out Wikipedia, myself, but I still don't consider it a legitmate source.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                            I check out Wikipedia, myself, but I still don't consider it a legitmate source.
                            Teacher of mine mentioned something about a lawsuit against them. Anyone know more about that?
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I haven't heard of any lawsuits, but I won't rely on Wikipedia for facts, either.

A lot of their entries are imcomplete, and for some of the people who do it, fact-checking is not a high priority.

I've found that pop culture information is what it's really good for.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X