Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanksgiving and whining. (Toffee inside!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving and whining. (Toffee inside!)

My head hurts. My hip hurts. I had a giant, somewhat unnecessary, cow over something my mom did (it's not horrid, don't worry).

I hate everything. (Except I don't really. I like you guys.)

But my Thanksgiving meal was very nice. My friend took me out to a local restaurant. She and I would have been alone otherwise, so I'm glad we weren't alone.

But now I'm sick and whiny. *hands out homemade toffee*

Toffee is awesome. It's kind of easy to make. There's 1 part butter to 2 parts sugar. You add some water, but not very much. There's a bit of salt, and I found it works better if I put in a bit of corn syrup. I think you cook it to 285 F (140 C).

If it's grainy after you dump it out of the pan, it needs butter. Put it back in the cooking pan and put butter in it. It should work. (Add butter slowly, though, to avoid the next thing.)

If the butter is making an oil slick in the pan rather than integrating, it needs more sugar. (Add sugar slowly, because you don't want things to get grainy.)

Both those tips work best when you're towards the end of the cooking process, like when the mixture is at about 250 F (120 C) . A good visual cue for telling when it's about that temp is when the butter in the mixture foams. That is also a good time to watch this stuff like a hawk, because butter loves boiling over. (And that cleanup is yucky. )

<3 you guys.
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Mmmm... toffee. I'm bringing my sugar thermometer up to mams for Xmas - she has better saucepans than I do.
    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Glad you seem sorted about the day, Rooted, and thanks for the toffee reminder. DELISH on ice cream.

WARNING CSers: this is really really really really something you don't want to spatter onto your hands.

Really.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
        Glad you seem sorted about the day, Rooted, and thanks for the toffee reminder. DELISH on ice cream.

WARNING CSers: this is really really really really something you don't want to spatter onto your hands.

Really.

Melted sugar is nicknamed "culinary napalm" for a reason. And it is a VERY good reason.

And {HUGS} RootedPhoenix. Being sick sucks.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I tried to make a diabetic-friendly caramel sauce for my sweet potatoes yesterday. I replaced the sugar in the recipe with Splenda. It tasted fine, but naturally the Splenda didn't melt into the butter the way sugar would have, so it looked kind of gross. Like stringy syrup in a pool of melted butter.

I think next year I'll just use commercially-prepared sugar-free caramel sauce and add my vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg to that.
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

Mary Berry suggested that a good way to remove sugar from a pan after you've scooped out all the glorious gloopy goodness was to add water to the pan and bring it to the boil...
            "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Yup. The sugar dissolves in the water and then all you have is sugar water which is easy to pour out.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
              X