This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone number changes (Kind of long)

In Florida, and literally anywhere else these days, it is very difficult to get a phone number that you want any more. Most easy numbers are taken, and it is extremely difficult to get a phone number that nobody else has had in the past. Here is a call that went something like this:

SC: I need my number changed due to harrassing calls, and you'd better get me something that's easy.

Me: I'll be glad to help you, and I'll see what easy numbers we have.

SC: It needs to all be one number.

Me: Yes, maam, that's how I'll do your order.

SC: No, you don't understand. It needs to be all one single digit.

Me: You mean, you want all the digits to be the same?

SC: Yes.

(Pause here. Now, for this to happen in the same area code being there was only one at the time, there are only nine possibilities, assuming the first three digits are all the same number. 111 is not a possibility, and neither is 888. So this left actually seven)

Me: Maam, I'm sorry, but the database shows that all of those numbers are taken by other customers.

SC: You need to get me one of those.

Me: I cannot give you a number that is in use by someone else.

SC: Sure you can. You just call them up and tell them to give up that number.

Me: Maam, I cannot do that. It is against PSC regulations.

SC: Well, what other easy numbers do you have?

(Pause again. This woman had me go through nearly twenty numbers before settling on one she liked. We only were supposed to pull up ten at one time)

SC: OK, now I need to know if anyone has ever had that number.

Me: Well, most likely, someone has had it before.

SC: I CAN'T BE STUCK WITH A NUMBER SOMEONE ELSE HAS HAD!

Me: Well, I cannot be certain unless we pull old records.

SC: Then do that.

Me: I'm sorry, but that would take a few days to compile. There is a good chance any number you choose once was in use by someone else.

SC: YOU NEED TO FIND OUT! I CAN'T HAVE SOMEONE ELSE'S NUMBER!

Me: Maam, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of harrassing calls are you receiving for you to be making these requests?

SC: I keep receiving calls from telemarketers! (Pause - nothing else. No mention of abusive husband, boyfriend, nothing)

Me: Well, you need to realize changing your phone number doesn't guarantee anything against telemarketers. Most of your information is public.

SC: You need to make it private!

Me: I can change your number and make it non published if you'd like. However, there is an extra monthly charge, and fee to change your number, and you need to also realize that your number still can come up on one's caller ID.

SC: I can't have that, plus I shouldn't have to pay for this if I'm receiving harrassing calls like this. I also think my privacy is being violated if people can see my number when I call them! (She had previously had her number changed five times, and all five times, she had the fee waived)

Me: I'm sorry, but we cannot continue waiving a legitimate fee like this. We would only do it in cases of domestic violence and/or abuse. We don't do it because of telemarketers.

SC: Fine! I'll take xxx-xxx-xxxx! I'll also be reporting this to the PSC!

It was ridiculous. All because I wouldn't make empty promises to her, nor would I cave in to giving her another charitible service. It should also be noted that this lady had caller ID, because she hated not knowing who was calling her. Yet, she thought her privacy was being violated whenever she called someone that could see her number. By the way, no PSC complaint was ever filed, and she paid the bill, after a manager refused to waive her ordering fee.

National do not call list

I've had many many similar requests so I feel for you on this one. I don't really get the complaint of needing an easy number or needing any specific number. This is where I would be charging a vanity number charge if they are going to be picky and ask for very specific numbers.

Comment

What's a difficult phone number look like?

Seriously, how long does it take to learn a new phone number?

You would think that some company would come up with the idea of hording unused phone numbers and only issuing them for a premium fee.
      Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Maybe you could give her a number to match that 666 on the back of her head.
        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
          Maybe you could give her a number to match that 666 on the back of her head.
          I've actually had a customer complain because their number which was something like 5466576 contained the digits 666 and they didnt want their number to have anything to do with the Devil.

As far as numbers and availability the NANP or North American Numbering Plan which as its name implies is the plan implemented to assign phone numbers to the whole of the North American continent works by assigning blocks of numbers, typically in groups of 1000 to providers for use. Once a block is assigned that number belongs exclusively to that provider and no other provider can use it unless a subscriber requests to have the number ported to another provider.

Even in that case the original provider still owns the number and the new provider creates a temporary routing number that routes the calls for the number which was ported. Once the customer cancels service with that number the ownership then transfers back to the original provider.

As far as I know if a provider goes belly up the numbers they have get put up for auction if they file for bankruptcy or the customers who own the numbers have the option of being transfered to a provider of their choice.

In essence it is impossible for one provider to horde "easy" numbers as they don't get to pick what numbers they purchase but must reserve numbers in bulk.

Comment

hehe I've gotton lucky with phone numbers before. One of my older cell phone numbers was xxx-0666 (yup I chose the 666 part to screw with my friends and families heads).

One of my shop numbers is xxx-2679, which spells out COPY. Yup you can call xxx-COPY for all your copy needs...lol, I aint giving that sucker up.

Even my cell number ends with 0040 (I've always gotten simple numbers)...thank god cause i'm a bit of a tard when it comes to remembering numbers.
            My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

I love my phone number. It happens to be a popular TV channel (first three) and the hip hop radio station in town (last four), making it pretty easy to remember.

However, when I first got it, I kept getting calls at all hours. I even got regular calls that were 'collect from the Indiana State Pen'... and none of my friends had been to prison that I know of. Finally, I got a laughing message saying 'lucky you, you got a drug dealers number'. After a few months they stopped, but I liked my easy number enough to let it go.

Comment

Working...
              X