This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flights

and airlines that go from Dayton Ohio to England. So..I am looking at how much I need to save to get to England. Anybody who knows much about flying, please PM me. Need airlines that go from Ohio to a certain part of England. So I can contact them directly and hopefully cut costs.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Something big to consider is that there are only so many international airports in England. The ones most likely to host transatlantic flights are:

Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted (all around London).
    Manchester, Edinburgh (good for more northern destinations).

Some budget airlines might fly into a variety of regional airports, such as Liverpool, Leeds-Bradford and so on, but those are highly unlikely to have direct flights or even affiliated connections to Ohio.

To get from the airport to where you *really* need to go, it's usually best to take the train. So start by looking up the cost of train tickets from the above-mentioned airports to your eventual destination. Do so for off-peak hours as well as peak-hour services - the difference in cost can be substantial - and factor the differences in onward travel costs into your choice of flight.

I would however advise *not* buying advance-purchase train tickets, because they are valid on only one specific train - so if your flight is delayed or you spend more time in baggage and customs than you expect, you may miss the train and then you will forfeit that ticket.

Comment

Use a service like travelocity to do the search. You can do a "search nearby airports" to try and get better rates. Once you find the flights, book it through the airline.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

When do you want to go?
        Is this one way or round trip?
        What is your budget?
        How soon do you need to buy these tickets?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Not sure how soon you want to go but this might be of some help. http://www.anglotopia.net/british-tr...ofrom-usa-240/

remember, this is bare bones, just the flight and other things will be extra fees, but it may still be less expensive to go this way.

Comment

When do you want to go?

Looks like after the third week in March.

Is this one way or round trip?

One Way

What is your budget?

I don't care if I have to fly in the baggage compartment, but with luck about $2k. If I can sell some furniture or such, maybe more.

How soon do you need to buy these tickets?

No hurry as of yet. Going to take a bit to save up the cash.
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I love to travel and I have to find the best deals to allow me to travel as much as I'd like. My advise is to check out Mobissimo when I want to do foreign travel I've found that out of all the sites this one gives me some of the best prices. http://www.mobissimo.com/search_airfare.php

When I did a quick look for one way with a leave date of March 17th (first day of the 3rd week of March) for all airports near London, there were tickets for a smidge over $500.

So you might be able to find something for under the $2K budget.

Comment

If the prices stand when I have the money to get the tickets American Airlines has a flight for $509 (One Way). Which I might be able to do better if I call.

Comment

I second checking the trains - try National Rail's website. Although GB is about the same size as Illinois iirc it takes much longer to get anywhere because there are a lot of towns and villages squished in where Illinois has flat emptiness. It'll take about eight hours to get from London to Edinburgh, for a rule of thumb. You are likely to come in via Heathrow etc and then have to train it to the station you need.
                  "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Where in England are you going? If you get out into some areas(the South West,East Anglia,the Lakes)you may be very limited.Trains down to Cornwall and Devon at some times are one every hour or two hours.Places like Northumberland or Cumbria have huge areas without ANY train lines at all and buses may be just three or four a day. Buying something like a Ranger Ticket can save lots of money.
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

London itself is a bit of a black hole in the railway network. Trains from all directions come in and stop at their own termini, of which there are about a dozen, and most of them are not within walking distance of each other.

So if you want to avoid having to navigate the Tube on your very first day in England, it really pays to get into the airport on roughly the same side of London as your ultimate destination - all else equal, of course, which it rarely is.

Stansted is to the north and somewhat east, and has fairly good connections to the whole of the North of England (but not as good as Manchester). Connections to the West and South are awful.

Heathrow is to the west and slightly south, but has a direct Tube connection to some of the North-facing termini as well. It's slower than the train to the main West-facing terminus, but it's not too much hassle since you just get on and sit there for ages. Connections to the South are not so good.

Gatwick lies directly south, and is definitely the best airport for destinations on that side of the city. It also has direct, if slow, trains which take you to North-facing termini on their way to Bedford. Finally, I think there are also trains to Reading from there, which is a good interchange for points West.

Possibly the only truly awkward place to get to from any London airport would be the North-West of England, which is precisely the area that Manchester covers best of all (because that's where it is) - but even then it's a case of getting from St. Pancras to Euston, which is one of the shorter inter-terminus trips, or via Waterloo or Victoria which have direct Tube connections to Euston.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                        Where in England are you going?
                        Dragon hunting.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          Dragon hunting.
                          Dragon Mating....

Comment

Well I am probably going to the Luton Airport. Which hopefully the person who I am going to go see there will be able to pick me up from. If not, they might be able to help me figure out where to go/what to do once there.

Comment

Ooh Luton. London Luton as they would have us believe is a good hour or so out of town... If you want to feel at home,go visit Milton Keynes. Grid system,American style streets(all numbered)all brand new jazzed up soccer stadium the MKome and concrete cows
                              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                              X