This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for nothing Allstate

You told me I needed to do some roof repairs. You even sent a photo showing "this area here" and "this area here." You did NOT say the entire roof had to be replaced, just that I had to repair those two areas.

And I did. Just for fun I got an estimate on the whole roof. $11,000. Sorry, no can do. I had the repairs done, which cost me $1900, which was a pinch but hey, I did it.

And you called my house 2-3 weeks ago and told me the repairs were acceptable and everything was fine.

Until yesterday, when you had a different person call and say that it was NOT acceptable because the shingles are damaged. You even had a copy of my roofer's explanation of how they FIXED THE HOLES so the roof does not leak. He could not remove the worn shingles without replacing everything and remember that $11,000 that I don't have and can't get? Yeah. If you had told me you wanted the whole roof replaced, I could have put that $1900 toward that...maybe I could have figured something out, who knows. Now? Not likely. Not until 2015.

And you're telling me there is "no record" of your previous phone call saying it was fine. Even though your phone number is on my phone, twice...once for the first call and once for the second call.

And you're telling me that you have ALREADY CANCELLED MY HOUSE INSURANCE. Really? And you were planning on being specific about this WHEN, exactly? Since your phone call did not say it was cancelled, just that the repairs weren't good enough and I should give you a call. And we were TEN MINUTES INTO THAT PHONE CONVERSATION before you finally admitted you had already cancelled the insurance.

You know what? That insurance premium that my mortgage company paid on Nov 5 for 2014? It had damn well better be refunded to my account. Because I will make sure they know you canceled my insurance ON NOVEMBER 26.

Fucking bastards.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

If there is an office near you (there was for me) then go down there and try to set them straight with all the documentation and proof you have that they said it was fine. However it might not work and they might lie to your face, but still you fixed a problem they told you to so they're completely in the wrong. If they give you anymore bullshit you might be better off find ing a new insurance company.
    ......../\
    ....../__\
    ..../\...../\
    ../__\../__\

Comment

I only have my word that they called. My phone shows their number but I picked up that call and actually talked to someone...so no voicemail saying it's fine.

I'm checking the state financial services website. It's possible these assholes violated the law. We'll see.

Comment

If it's any consolation, American Family is no better.

My parents are going to be waiting until April to have their hail-battered roof fixed. After the storm American Family sent out this big, cocky Texan guy (insert your steers and queers jokes here) to do the estimate on their property. He informed my folks that a hailstorm like the one we had "happens every other day in Texas" and gave them a lowball estimate that would've required them to pay quite a bit out of their own pocket to fix all the damage. Y'know, this is probably why they put that guy on the catastrophe team to begin with.

So then they had to go through the process to have another adjuster come out, and he did make a better offer, but still not enough to cover everything, so now they had to play phone tag with various contractors and insurance people to get estimates.

Of all the damage, all they've been able to get fixed is the garage door. Siding still needs to be replaced, gutters still need to be replaced, trim and screens on windows has to be fixed, and the awning on the upstairs sun porch has to be replaced. All of this is now on hold until spring.

After all this, it wouldn't surprise me if they got dropped. They're planning on shopping around for different homeowners insurance anyway.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I can give some friendly advice if you'd like, Irv.

Honestly, the easiest course of actions when you need to get a second adjuster out is to have a contractor that you want to work with meet on site. It's obviously your choice whether or not you do that, but the adjuster and contractor may be able to come to an agreement on site rather than fiddling with the back and forth thing. You can always do that for intial inspections too.

Comment

I'm confused. If you had roof damage, shouldn't the home owner's insurance be the ones paying to have it fixed, not the other way around?
            Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

This might be a case of a recently-purchased house, where the insurance company did an inspection to determine what needed to be done before they'd insure the place. My guess is the shingles were deteriorated due to many years of normal wear and tear, rather than damaged by a single event that would be covered by insurance.

Of course, with Allstate telling the OP after the fact that they'd cancelled the insurance, that would almost certainly leave the OP in default on their mortgage (clause requiring the property to be insured, to protect the value of the collateral).
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I own the house. I was required to get insurance when I bought it (through NACA). I was told by the inspector at the time that everything was fine. That was nine years ago. I was hoping to get a new roof sometime soon, but financially I haven't had a good run for the last five years, so it's not possible right now.

Allstate sent me a letter a few months ago. They've been doing inspections of all properties they insure because supposedly a lot of people have been making claims which Allstate feels is due to neglect, so they said if I got the repairs done by Oct. 30, I'd be good to go for three more years before they'd inspect again. I figured in three years if I plan carefully (and things go well, of course) I could try to get a new roof in 2016. They, however, have decided that the repairs were not acceptable. The roofer told me that the damaged parts can't just be torn out and replaced...not without doing the whole roof.

I'm going to be calling NACA to see what advice they may have. My mortgage payments are up to date, so if it's a matter of just getting a new insurer, I'm willing to try.

My sister left a comment on Allstate's facebook page. They asked if we wanted to talk to "resolutions." I told her to tell them we'd let them know. There's a couple of things that don't seem right about the way they did this, and I'm double-checking on that.

Comment

Can you take out a HELOC (line of credit on your home )and use that to replace the roof?

Do you have a 401(k)? If so, home improvements qualify for loans, not that I'd normally advise someone to borrow from their retirement account, but it's better than defaulting on your mortgage over something stupid like this.

Just brainstorming options, here.
                  Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
                    Can you take out a HELOC (line of credit on your home )and use that to replace the roof?

Do you have a 401(k)? If so, home improvements qualify for loans, not that I'd normally advise someone to borrow from their retirement account, but it's better than defaulting on your mortgage over something stupid like this.

Just brainstorming options, here.
                    Probably not on the line of credit. I couldn't get a regular loan so I don't think that would work. NACA might be able to advise on that, though. I really don't understand why they wouldn't ok the loan in the first place. My credit's not great, but I have a steady full time job and they would be taking the payments out automatically. I wouldn't be able to stiff them. But they said no.

Nope to the second idea. I'm one of those dinosaurs that doesn't have a 401K. Yeah, I know. Dumb.

But thanks for trying, I appreciate it.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Allstate sent me a letter a few months ago. They've been doing inspections of all properties they insure because supposedly a lot of people have been making claims which Allstate feels is due to neglect, so they said if I got the repairs done by Oct. 30, I'd be good to go for three more years before they'd inspect again.
                      Is it actually in the letter about the repairs? Do you still have the letter? If so, then you actually have something in writing to use against them in this matter.

Either way, good luck!
                      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                        Is it actually in the letter about the repairs? Do you still have the letter? If so, then you actually have something in writing to use against them in this matter.

Either way, good luck!
                        Thanks.

Yes, I have the letter and it just states I need repairs and shows pics of where and what. They never actually said "or we'll cancel your insurance" but I figured that was at stake.

What bothers me the most is that someone is LYING. They called and told me it was okay. Then another person called and said it's not okay. Also, my mortgage company paid them the premium for 2014! I have to call them and talk to them about that, I don't think they know the insurance was canceled. So I have plans for Monday.

Comment

Yea, I'd give your mortgage company a copy of the letters and pics showing what the insurance folks said needed to be repaired, then copies of your invoices for having said repairs actually done and turn their legal department loose on the insurance people.
                          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Working...
                          X