This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• App suggestions for my mother...

My mother is a technophobe. In fact, she could enter the Technophobe Olympics and walk home with the Gold, Silver and Bronze.

She is getting an iPad for Christmas. Her choice, not ours. It is a 'mam want!'.

I've told them to leave it the hell alone until I get up there to set it up for her before they blow it up...

I'm getting her an app gift card on behalf of my dad, who is only just slightly less technophobic and can't find head nor tail of those gift cards.

So I'm setting said iPad up for her. I think it's the newest one that came out, and I don't think starting it up will be too difficult, but what I'd like is some suggestions for apps to download for her use, since my phone is an Android and I'm not up to speed on iOS.

She's said to me 'no games!' but I'm thinking of finding her a really good crossword app. I'm hoping to get BBC Iplayer, Sky+ and Sky Go because I know she liked seeing those when I was showing off my phone to her. But what else? She likes walking and goes on walking days with a group; she's retired now so there's not much work related; umm...? Anything more?

Danke schon.
    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
    She's said to me 'no games!' but I'm thinking of finding her a really good crossword app. I'm hoping to get BBC Iplayer, Sky+ and Sky Go because I know she liked seeing those when I was showing off my phone to her. But what else? She likes walking and goes on walking days with a group; she's retired now so there's not much work related; umm...? Anything more?

Danke schon.
    Does she like to listen to music while she walks? If so, you might want to check into Spotify. I think it's a monthly subscription (don't know if you want that, or a one-time thing), but you can basically listen to thousands of songs, so it covers wide varieties of genres.

Maybe see if there's some sort of eReader available for it. She could always download eBooks and read them.

That's just two off the top of my head.
    Last edited by EricKei; 12-05-2013, 01:30 PM. Reason: We just read it...no neeed to quote the whole post. Vielen Dank.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

There is a Kindle app for iOS, and lots of other readers too.

Words With Friends is a game she might like,especially if she can play with friends and other family (like you, maybe ). There are iOS and Andriod versions, in each case I highly recommend going with the paid one.

I'd also suggest maybe moving the settings button back two or three pages, so it's not sitting right there on the front page where she can fiddle with it.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

You can also check to see if her favorite stores have apps; many of them offer coupons that can be scanned from the smartphone/iPad.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

^ Target has an ap like that called Cartwheel. I've seen people use it on top of coupons. I signed up at target.com, and I heard it's in the ap stores and that you can also sign up on facebook somehow. It's different percentages off different items. I guess you pick your 10 items the first time and later on, after you've bought stuff, it starts letting you pick a longer list. There was a link for whatever the apple store is.
          Last edited by Food Lady; 12-05-2013, 07:43 AM.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Thanks guys I knew I could count on you!

She's not a music person; she likes her talk radio instead. (Dad's more the musicy guy, and he's getting an iPod for Xmas - which I had to buy on behalf of mum because she had no idea what she was looking at XD I did get the money for it back.)

We're also based in the UK so I don't think Target will be of much use ^^;; are there similar ones for places like Marks and Spencers?

On my phone, I can delete an app icon from any of the seven pages I can swipe through, but it's still there if I want it againin an app menu down the bottom. Would there be something similar or would I need to hide it in a folder? Also, are there widgets?

Are Google Maps working on iOS yet? How about Outlook?
            "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

The "I Heart Radio" app is good for talk radio, though I don't know what, if any, offerings they have in the UK. Ditto the Tune In app.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

any app you "purchase" is saved to your apple account, and can be re downloaded at any time, so long as you dont forget your login.

the old joke "they make an app for that" has never been more true. there are cookbook apps galore. atlases. the wikipedia app is wonderful for looking up information. I have a wonderful stargazing app I wish i used more. want to follow your favorite sports team? just about every chain of store out there has an app.
                Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
                Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
                Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

Comment

Google app is up for the iOS, and I lurves it. There are also a boatload of cooking apps. Also, iProducts come with the newsstand app and the iBook app.
                  What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

are there similar ones for places like Marks and Spencers?
                    Yes, there is...
                    As soon as I start thinking
                    That I'm sensible and sane
                    The Random Hedgehog comes along
                    And fiddles with my Brain
                    (from card I got)

Comment

An app that Mrs. IA likes on her Android phone is Weather Bug. She likes to check the weather in all the places we usually visit. There is a version for the Apple iOS.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Also, are there widgets?
                        I doubt it - after all those are normally implemented in hardware.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                        X