This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full moon madness at the dollar store

More tales from the Dollar Admiral. Combining Friday the 13th and the full moon AND Father's day sure makes for a WONDERFUL weekend

1)TWO separate people friday morning just about broke our doors trying to open them before 8am. One was a little kid just about hanging on them when I finally had to yell at her 'We're not open yet!' Kid leaves with her mom. Then like 10 minutes later a guy is pulling as hard as he can on BOTH doors not quite understanding the concept of a locked door apparently. This guy was a pip, he was in a hurry to return 50 cent hair accessories his wife bought 3 weeks ago

2)What is the obsession with elderly people wanting EVERYTHING in a bag? Pack of gum? 'Can I have that in a sack?' Greeting card? "I need a bag it's going to sit in the car' I mean seriously, don't look at me all butt-hurt because I don't put your ONE tiny item in a bag.

3)My net sales between 8-9am this morning? - $15.25. That's right, I said NEGATIVE fifteen dollars. FOUR different people just about come running into the store bright and early on sunday morning to return crap. One was a shirt but two were returning greeting cards and the fourth returned a fifty cent package of seeds she purchased two months ago. The one with the shirt was going to get the right size but we didn't have it but the other three, nope, that's all they wanted to do was return those tiny items that it cost more for the gas driving to us then what they got back

4)Why didn't anyone warn me that today was national 'Pay with a $20/$50/$100' day? It never bothered me at awful-mart because they have an enormous petty cash fund. Dollar Admiral though? My store has a petty cash fund of a whopping $350. Easy to blow through when everyone throws $20's or $50's or god forbid, $100 at you. And then they look at you all puzzled when I have to get down on the floor and get change out of the safe because apparently, EVERY retailer has TONS of money in their drawer so paying for your $5 purchase with a $100 should be NO big deal mister high roller.

5)We haven't had small bags in a LONG time, frankly I think they're useless. So don't give me a look like I just shot your dog because we don't have them.

6)Yes I know the Dollar Admiral in the next town 10 miles away has a bigger selection of products, but they are also a bigger store and do a higher volume of sales then we do. We're a small town and do sales between $2000-$2500 a day whereas the store in the next town does double the sales we do.

The end..............for now

I would have been floored with the greeting cards returns - don't people just save them for another occasion if they decide not to use a particular one? Then you followed up with SEEDS! Who the heck returns seeds? If there isn't room in your garden, you put them away for next year. Or I occasionally just scatter them willy-nilly.

Comment

We get lots of returns on greeting cards. The last one I had was a wife returning the card her husband got because she didn't like it. Yeah, get your own card then. Also had a little old man return a card because his little old lady wife didn't like that it didn't say "from us" on it.

I've also had people return boxes of Christmas cards because they didn't need them. Now if it was me, I'd just keep them for the next year but I guess there could be reasons to return them.
      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Bags

I wish more places have the 5 cents a bag law we have here. It can be a pain at times, but neither do I see people walking out of the store with five bags for five small items.

When I am down in Florida, I am always surprised at the number of plastic bags I see people use, and the checkout people seem confused sometimes when I say to just put it in one bag.

Yes, bags are more filmy than what I get in Ontario, but a chocolate bar, a bottle of soda pop and a bag of chips with fit and will not tear the bag on a short walk to the car.

Comment

How can those people return cards because they didn't like them, aren't they signed? didn't the husband sign the card for his wife? Then how can she return it if she didn't like it?

Comment

I can see returning a "Happy Birthday Dad" card if your father passed away and other cards like that, but generic "Merry Xmas" and "Happy Birthday" cards? Stow those puppies in a drawer until next year! I know some the ladies around here have organizers filled with generic event/ holiday cards. As one put it to me, "My children have a bad habit of telling me everything at the last minute, so it's nice to not have to worry."
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
              I wish more places have the 5 cents a bag law we have here.
              I think what Canada does is a FABULOUS thing. Corporate wants us to keep trying to sell the reusable bags but nobody ever buys them. Heck why should they spend $1 for a reusable bag when they can just get as many 'free' plastic bags as they can.

I must have jinxed myself with this post because today three different old biddies looked at me all offended because I didn't put their ONE greeting card in a bag.
              Last edited by EricKei; 06-16-2014, 07:25 PM. Reason: trimmed quote

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
                I've also had people return boxes of Christmas cards because they didn't need them.
                Simple. They return them now for full value, and buy another box (or even the same one!) in January or February when they're on sale for 90% off...
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                  I would have been floored with the greeting cards returns - don't people just save them for another occasion if they decide not to use a particular one? Then you followed up with SEEDS! Who the heck returns seeds? If there isn't room in your garden, you put them away for next year. Or I occasionally just scatter them willy-nilly.
                  Yeah, I don't get this either. My mother routinely kept a supply of greeting cards for a wide variety of occasions, usually bought on sale. They were always tasteful and nice. People she knew got cards from her all year long. It was nice. I've been trying to emulate this habit because it really is thoughtful.

As for seeds . . . they don't go bad. Why not save them for next year? Like the OP said; they spent more in gas to get to the store for the return than they saved by getting the refund.

Quoth vloglady View Post
                  How can those people return cards because they didn't like them, aren't they signed? didn't the husband sign the card for his wife? Then how can she return it if she didn't like it?
                  I didn't get that impression. But Wifey could have looked at card, said "No way am I mailing that out" and send hubs back for the return. Still not worth the effort.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Regarding reusable shopping bags: Every few months Staples offers free reusable bags and 20% off anything you buy when you get the bag. I have managed to accumulate over a dozen that I use for grocery shopping.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                      When I am down in Florida, I am always surprised at the number of plastic bags I see people use, and the checkout people seem confused sometimes when I say to just put it in one bag.
                      You ain't kidding. My store (in Florida) is within walking distance of several over-55 condos and low(er) income housing. There is an abundance of people who WALK/BIKE to our store because they've lost their DL due to DUIs.

Our older population wants each banana, soup can, and loaf of bread in its own bag. It used to be Double-bag everything, but lately, there's an uptick of Triple-bagging everything. Look, sir, your 4 pk of cheap beer WILL make the ride to your abode in a single bag, I promise.

I can't wait til we charge per bag, I swear that day is coming.
                      Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Working...
                      X