Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a social/event photographer and manager of a retail store that primarily sells cameras, I get "friends" from all over asking advice. The answer, "Come see me at work"

Or, "Why didn't you bring your camera?"
    "I just shot over a thousand images across three events in the last 36 hours, I needed a break"

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
      people who want to argue science with him (when they have no actual knowledge of science, cardiac research or even how science works in general).
      I like it when they ask me about something they are completely ignorant of.

Them: "What do you think that is?" (Strange light in the sky)

Me: "A UFO"

Them: "Do you believe in UFOs?"

Me: "How can I do that?"

Them: "But what do you think they are?"

Me: "A UFO"

Them: "But you must have some ideas!"

Me: "What does UFO stand for?"

Them: "Unidentified..."

Me: (Interrupting) "Yeah!"

Them: "Oh"

Then they look disappointed and walk away.

Comment

I sympathize with you. I'm a business analyst for Microsoft and oh god, do I avoid mentioning that around people I've just met, because it's like an open invitation for people to air their complaints about SOMETHING the company has done or just released. And then they don't understand why I actively refuse to discuss it. Leave me alone. I'm not at work and not in the mood to debate your opinions!

Comment

Quoth UncleImpy View Post
          I sympathize with you. I'm a business analyst for Microsoft and oh god, do I avoid mentioning that around people I've just met, because it's like an open invitation for people to air their complaints about SOMETHING the company has done or just released. And then they don't understand why I actively refuse to discuss it. Leave me alone. I'm not at work and not in the mood to debate your opinions!
          ...not to mention that whatever they're bitching about has nothing to do with you, and you have no control over it.
          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
          OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
          she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
          Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I bet nobody ever bothers gynecologists like they do other doctors
            "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
            -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
              I bet nobody ever bothers gynecologists like they do other doctors
              You'd lose that bet. My Mom credentials all the hospital docs for Kettering, and hears -all- the stories.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I knew an OB-GYN who used to frequent the same gun range as me. And GK is completely correct, it's NOT any different for them. Though the public probably WISHES it were!
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

For the last couple of days in order to avoid people chasing me down after I clock out I've been bringing my normal clothes in a bag, and after I punch out I switch clothes, let my hair down, and put a little bit of makeup on to make myself look different. I don't want anyone to recognize me outside of work, but I know it won't last forever and I'll get people asking me what's on sale next week when I'm at Michael's, Barnes & Noble, or McDonalds.
                  ......../\
                  ....../__\
                  ..../\...../\
                  ../__\../__\

Comment

This doesn't just happen to professionals. I worked in a games store here for almost five years and I'm out and about in the community pretty regularly.

I STILL get asked questions about games all the time.
                    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

On my last job at the specialty store, I would get asked about products or services on the bus, in stores, when I went to get lunch. Geez, walk into the store and ask..I am not a personal shopper for the masses in downtown Pittsburgh!!!

Comment

My son's teacher lives literally around the corner from us. In fact, my kids play with his kids all the time. while I have on occasion informed my son that I could walk around the corner and ask "Mr. smith" if it is, in fact, true that he did not have any homework, I cannot IMAGINE knocking on his door to discuss work.

I'm almost (ALMOST) disappointed no one wants to ask me questions about my job. Once they find out what I do, people tend to shut down. I'm a case manager in Community Corrections. When I tell them, they usually say "I know someone there" or "I have been there" in which case, they REALLY don't want to talk to me

Comment

Quoth skeptic53 View Post
                          I bump into patients ALL the time. Alas, the old joke about telling them to "Please undress" is rarely relevant to the question they are asking.
                          Here in Australia there is a Doctor Norman Swan who has spent years on our National radio broadcasting on health matters.

I heard him on a talkback show:-

Announcer: And now I'd like to welcome Doctor Norman Swan to the program. Doctor, I'm glad you're here today as I seem to have this pain in my leg.

Dr Swan: Well Bill I'm probably the worst person to talk to about that. I like to start my diagnosis by imagining the worst sort of cancer in every part of your body and work back from that.

Announcer: Well perhaps it's best if we move on from that, let's take the first caller.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                            My husband is a biochemist, and he occasionally gets the people who want to argue science with him (when they have no actual knowledge of science, cardiac research or even how science works in general). He has developed a quick, diplomatic way to shut them down quickly, simply by actually taking about his own research in terms he would use with other scientists.
                            Heh. That wouldn't work with Toth, especially if his cardiac specialty has anything to do with neurocardiogenic syncope.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                              When I was still doing tech support for a living I would routinely be asked to look at and/or fix computers for my friends and family. It didn't matter if I'd had a long day at work and just wanted the world to go away - they would call me or send me messages to ask me what might be wrong with their computer. It would even more frustrating if after I gave them the news based on what information they provided if they didn't believe me and took it somewhere else to get it looked at...only to have my diagnosis proven correct. I finally started telling people that if they were not willing to pay for me to diagnose and/or repair their computer to not bother coming to me. I wish my parents had listened to that....ugh.
                              THIS X 1000

I only do freebies for my wife, my mother, my father, my brother, my 86 year old grandmother and a select few VERY close friends. Everyone else is pay to play. I don't charge much, but I do charge.
                              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                                THIS X 1000

I only do freebies for my wife, my mother, my father, my brother, my 86 year old grandmother and a select few VERY close friends. Everyone else is pay to play. I don't charge much, but I do charge.
                                I charge even my close family, but WHAT I charge depends on WHO I'm charging. For example: brother's ex-wife. 1 problem fixed = 1 OMG TASTE BUD ORGASM meal
                                Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                                OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                                she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                                Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working...
                                X