This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Pharmacy

Occasionally we get faxes from several internet pharmacy's (mail order meds) requesting an approval for X, Y, or Z medication. My job is to put that into the system, label the fax with the initials of the proper vet, and then stick it into a box for them to get and either approve or deny.

So, earlier this week we got a request for a heartworm medication for patient Dawg.
    It was for a 12-pk (so one year's worth.)

It got handed to the doctor, who said, "No can do. Dawg is due for a heartworm test in October. However, they can dispense the 6-pk." Doctor writes the denial and the reasoning, as well as the approval for a dispensing of a 6-pk if the owner chooses to order that instead.

Today I get a request for Dawg, for the heartworm medication...for the 12-pk again. I look into our notes and find the notes from the doctor about the test being due, etc. etc. I resend the previous denial and the approval for a 6-pk.

Ten minutes later...

Request for Dawg, for the heartworm medication, for the 12-pk.

Me: ... *eye twitch. Eye twitch.*

Just reminded me of the SCs who will keep asking the same exact question as if expecting a different answer or the stock to magically appear.

I'm just waiting for them to call me so I can be like, "Look. We already denied this, we gave you the reasoning. Resending us the same request again and again isn't going to work. Unless you keep doing it all the way through to October and after Dawg gets his heartworm test. THEN we'll approve it if it comes up negative."

(The reason dogs must have an updated heartworm test that came back negative {so no heartworms!} is that if they get heartworms/have heartworms and they start in on the medication {like Hartgard etc.} it will kill them. The dog, not the heartworms. Dog needs to be heartworm free in order to be given the preventative.)
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

I too work at a vet's office. You ever been screamed at by a client because you had to deny the request for heart worm prevention because the dog was overdue for a heart worm test and the owner says it'll be all your fault if it gets heart worms and dies?

Comment

Nope, didn't get that one yet. I mainly work over in the Urgent Care unit so I don't typically take the normal vet office calls. However, I know how I would answer that.

"If I give you the heartworm medication and your dog already has heartworms the preventative will kill the dog. So, when can I schedule you for an appointment to get puppy tested?"
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

So if a dog already has heartworm, how do you get rid of the worms (without killing the patient) so that you can then give it the preventative to stop further infestation?
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          So if a dog already has heartworm, how do you get rid of the worms (without killing the patient) so that you can then give it the preventative to stop further infestation?
          Here's an article about how to treat the heart worms.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            Unfortunately it's a very hard process on the dog. It could very well kill the dog trying to cure them of the heartworms, which has to be done over a long period of time. This is because when the worms die they just kind of clog up everything.

This is why testing should always been done at least yearly, or even better twice a year, and make sure to make notes everywhere if you have to, to keep up with your dog's preventative.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
              Unfortunately it's a very hard process on the dog. It could very well kill the dog trying to cure them of the heartworms, which has to be done over a long period of time. This is because when the worms die they just kind of clog up everything.

This is why testing should always been done at least yearly, or even better twice a year, and make sure to make notes everywhere if you have to, to keep up with your dog's preventative.
              Been there, done that years ago with one of our dogs (a gorgeous white husky breed similar to this. She'd tested positive for heartworms and underwent treatment for it but a few months later she developed kidney failure and Mom and stepdad made the decision to have her put to sleep.

We all cried like babies when that decision was made . . and one of the reasons why a couple of years later when Mom got our Rottweiler (who at the time was one runt of a pup) he was named Animal in her honor.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
              X