This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legit complaint turns into major SC'ness

Ok so this just happened today at the Dollar Admiral I used to work at. One of the requirements is that we are to greet everyone when they come in the door. Well I guess the cashier on duty today didn't do that. So the customer grabs a cart, goes around the store and fills it up, THEN comes up to the front, shoves the cart at the store manager and yells at him because he was not greeted when he came in. Then tells the manager that he wasn't planning on buying anything in that cart just wanted to show the manager what kind of sale he just lost out on.

Really? I know it's a legitimate complaint about not being greeted but to 'teach them a lesson' you proceeded to FILL UP A CART, shove it at the manager, rip him a new one and then storm out?

Wouldn't the better solution just have been to speak to the manager right away about it and leave?

Oh my young Padawan.. much in the force to learn have you. Trying to associate logic to an SC.. is like trying to associate ice with the sun.. you CAN do it.. but it is futile in the end. See the logical thing would be to talk to the manager and leave... but SC's and logic.. never the twain shall meet.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post

Really? I know it's a legitimate complaint about not being greeted
      No it isn't. Guy was just being a fuckface.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

It would be funny had the manager known the guy put stuff in the cart for nothing and said, " Well, seeing how you wasted your time and my time, we lost nothing else! Good luck at your next store sir!"

Comment

complaining about not being greeted? if I'm in a place with a similar setup (cashier near the door, floor full of merch, no real need for "helping" the customers) I prefer it if you don't try to engage me as soon as I walk through the door. Your greeting forces me to acknowledge you or else seem rude myself. I do not like people. don't talk to me needlessly. a "Hello" when I come to check out is sufficient.

Comment

I wouldn't even call it a "legit complaint"... if I'm a customer, I'd much rather have the cashier concentrating on their job of checking people out rather than robotically saying hi to everybody that walks through the door. If they have a moment of attention, and can say it, great, but I don't consider it rude when an employee is doing their primary job instead.

Every time I go into "Protected-Port Cargo" to buy tools, one of the cashiers shouts "WELCOMETOPROTECTEDPORTCARGO!" (it's kind of loud in there) but the words run together and are without any enthusiasm as they are probably tired of shouting it hundreds of times a day.
            Last edited by sirwired; 06-10-2014, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post

Wouldn't the better solution just have been to speak to the manager right away about it and leave?

That just sounds like an Asshole just waiting to happen.
              Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
                That just sounds like an Asshole just waiting to happen.
                Actually, in this case according to the OP the Asshole already happened! He was just looking for something to crusade over and instead made himself look like one giant used tampon.

Me, it's not important whether you speak to me or not when I come into one of those Dollar stores - save it for when I come to check out or if you're on the floor and I happen to look lost (I have those moments.) I'd rather interact with someone who's genuine and human acting than sounding like a robot anyday.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

What an asshole. How did he manage in the days before every store (check that, every corporate office) decided they had to be all sparkly-happy-hi-how-are-ya? the minute you walk in...

As long as I know where the employees are, generally speaking, I can find one if I want one. I don't need to hear "hello" when I walk in the door. It's not really important.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                    Every time I go into "Protected-Port Cargo" to buy tools, one of the cashiers shouts "WELCOME-TO-PROTECTED-PORT-CARGO" (it's kind of loud in there) but without any enthusiasm as they are probably tired of shouting it hundreds of times a day.
                    Yet another Brilliant Idea™ from your good friends at Corporate: Coming Up With More Hoops For Employees To Jump Through!

Seriously, what's the point of that? If I'm near the front door and not with another guest, yes I do greet the ones who come in, but I'm not going to ignore the customer I'm currently serving to do that, especially if I'm a ways away from the front.

I wish we could make it a law: every idea Corporate comes up with, they have to serve in a nearby store, using that idea with real life customers in real retail. We'd weed out so many stupid ideas that way.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I wish we could make it a law: every idea Corporate comes up with, they have to serve in a nearby store, using that idea with real life customers in real retail. We'd weed out so many stupid ideas that way.*

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        Yet another Brilliant Idea™ from your good friends at Corporate: Coming Up With More Hoops For Employees To Jump Through!

Seriously, what's the point of that? If I'm near the front door and not with another guest, yes I do greet the ones who come in, but I'm not going to ignore the customer I'm currently serving to do that, especially if I'm a ways away from the front.

I wish we could make it a law: every idea Corporate comes up with, they have to serve in a nearby store, using that idea with real life customers in real retail. We'd weed out so many stupid ideas that way.
                        I like this concept.
                        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

At least a week

Quoth xxscooterxx View Post
                          I wish we could make it a law: every idea Corporate comes up with, they have to serve in a nearby store, using that idea with real life customers in real retail. We'd weed out so many stupid ideas that way.*
                          I would require them to do it for at-least a week. When working at Arby's the local district manager would come in complaining about our serving time and then became a whirlwind of activity to show us it could be done as fast as he claimed.

But he only did it for one four-hour shift, I always wonder out loud if he could keep up his speed up for an entire week. And he would claim in turn that he could, but I never ever saw him stay for more than a day.

I wonder why?

Comment

We have a special greeting that we have to say loud and proud every time someone comes in no matter what. Though seems like there's a few of us that just don't do it anymore. The reasoning is that so people know what store they're in. I usually try to throw out a hello, a smile or some kind of eye contact if that's all I can do at the moment. If people don't answer back I don't care I did was I was supposed to do.
                            I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                              I wouldn't even call it a "legit complaint"... if I'm a customer, I'd much rather have the cashier concentrating on their job of checking people out rather than robotically saying hi to everybody that walks through the door. If they have a moment of attention, and can say it, great, but I don't consider it rude when an employee is doing their primary job instead.
                              I was going to say the exact same thing. Whenever I walk into a store with that set-up I appreciate the greeting but I certainly don't find it necessary, especially if they're already preoccupied with another task. Then there are other days when I really just don't feel like interacting with people more than I have to and I even try to sneak by as quickly as possible without them noticing so I don't feel forced to have to pretend to be friendly back.

Comment

Working...
                              X