This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So ... what would you do?

Brother is fairly high up in the health care system in [other province]. He has emailed me about getting me into a rent-controlled seniors' apartment building there (this province generally doesn't HAVE rent control).

The catch?

No pets allowed.

This seems to be a "thing" throughout much of brother's city in [other province]. Even the places that do allow pets seem to gouge potential tenants (charging not only a per-animal fee when you move in, but then subsequently a per-animal per-month fee as well ).

I have two cats. Both are middle-aged by cat standards. One is beautiful and (were I to do so) if he was returned to the rescue group who originally had him, would no doubt find a new home very quickly.

The other ... is not pretty. He's ginger with some tabby markings. At the moment he also has health issues, including no fur on his tummy (it's believed to be contact dermatitis. The skin is unmarked and it doesn't seem to be causing him distress). I truly believe that the chances of him finding another home would be rare ... that he would sit in his little cage until somebody came to take him for that final walk down that hallway.

My brother is a very pragmatic person. In his opinion, AFAIK, if the pets are hobbling my ability to let him help me, the pets should go.

I disagree, obviously. They are not children but nor are they houseplants. They have been my beloved companions through good times and bad. I'm quite prepared (although unhappily) to give serious consideration to these being the final cats I have, but I'm not prepared to just dump them because suddenly they represent an inconvenience.

I should add that I am looking specifically for pet-friendly apartments in brother's city, and they do exist -- just found one, in fact, that charges even less rent than the apartment brother mentioned (although the one he mentioned is all-inclusive; I'm sure the one I was looking at online is not. Nor do I know how good the building/area is).

Thoughts?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I look at pets as being a lifetime commitment. When I adopt an animal, I am making a promise that I will care for and take care of that creature for its life. Giving up my pets has always been a complete non-starter for me. I won't even consider any course of action that would require it.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

If you love them, you can't betray them.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

It may be worth talking to the apartment building management. I don't know details of your cats, but I know that in my complex (which is theoretically no pets), we have made exemptions in the past for a sedentary older cat with the understanding that it would not be replaced when it passed on, and that it would not cause trouble for the neighbours.
        Probably they would say no, but you may be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

I never thought of that, Black Cat. As you say, the worst thing that can happen is that they say no.

That's generally my opinion on pets too: you take them on for life, unless something truly catastrophic happens and you are actually unable to stay in your home and care for them. I know my brother doesn't understand this.

When I lost my decade-old journalism job, I had four cats, two that were aging and had health issues. My uncle said "So are you going to get rid of your cats now?" I said, "Why are you even asking me that?"

I wrote back to brother about an apartment that was very cheap and allowed pets ... he said "Worst part of town; high crime, stroll, drugs ..."

Okay ... maybe not there. But I'm getting notifications in my email about pet-friendly places in brother's city, so ... I'm sure something will turn up.

They're damned expensive out there, though. Even the rent-controlled apartment he was talking about is $800+ per month (although it's all-inclusive).
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

My brother had the same basic attitude years ago when I first moved up away from NOLA (post-injury, into a small house on his land) -- even though he had two dogs, himself. I convinced him to lemme keep my cat and my dog, as long as I kept them inside as much as possible, tho. Still felt frustrating. I'm with BC; see if you can work out a deal with the landlord/apartment manager, even if it means paying a larger deposit.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I don't understand the mentality of people who seem to think pets are disposable. Brother says I can apply for the apt. but they need an idea of the timeline, as (despite the waiting list) they will have one for me next week otherwise ... I have suggested a year or two instead. I do not expect my cats to have passed on in that time, but I'm hoping to be in a better position to move out there into a pet-friendly place. Much as I appreciate brother's help and influence, I can't just dump my kitties at a shelter and wander off.

I will ask him if there is any possibility that I can bring them in if I guarantee there will be no replacements when they are gone. I doubt very much I'll get anywhere, but ... you don't ask, you definitely don't get.
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Definitely ask. When we inherited Dad's cat, we were his FOURTH owners. The original owners gave him to my stepbrother, who decided he wanted a dog instead, so Dad took him on because otherwise he would have been kicked out to fend for himself in a rural area (and he's declawed), then Dad died and I flat-out told my husband we were taking him, no arguments. I've promised Buddy the only way he's leaving us is in a box. So I definitely respect your position and your choice.
                https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I did ask and the answer was no. Not much of a surprise, since usually "no pets" means exactly that.

My job situation has altered a bit: I'm on a two-month contract at a law firm and if I work out, I stand a good chance of having it morph into a fulltime job. Took a test for a second job and I know I did well but for whatever reason, I've not heard back from that one. Oh well.

So I'm going to work my butt off at this office in the hopes that I get a nice Christmas (or New Year's) present: a fulltime permanent job. In a way I'm sorry I won't be moving out West anytime soon, but apartments in My Hometown are cheaper, and it's a lot easier to find pet-friendly places here. In brother's place of residence, you are charged a surcharge per animal PLUS a per-month per-animal fee ... and I don't know whether you ever get any of that money back.

Ultimately, though, I could not imagine just dropping them off at a shelter, no matter how well run, and driving away. They deserve better than that.
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

In brother's place of residence, you are charged a surcharge per animal PLUS a per-month per-animal fee ... and I don't know whether you ever get any of that money back.
                    Neither of those include the words "refundable" nor "deposit." Assume you would not ever be getting any money back on those -- and, tbh, assume the same even if it DOES include the two aforementioned terms.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Yeah, that's what I thought, EricKei. What a scam. I wouldn't object if they said that a post-departure inspection of the place would net you a return of at least some of that money.

I did ask brother about the apartments, and he said no, that rule cannot be bent. Wasn't surprised but of course if you don't ask, you don't know for sure.
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                      X