This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell phone just for work

Does anyone here have a personal cell and then one just for work? What do you think of this? If you do have one for work, does the job pay for it, do you have a plan yourself, or do you just use pay as you go?

If your job requires you to have a cell phone, then they need to provide and pay for it (and you can get in trouble if you use it for personal calls/texts). If you decide to get a second cell phone just for work on your own, you pay for it, but you can write it off on taxes. In the second instance, I'd go with a cheap pay as you go phone (unless it's cheaper to add a line on a family plan), since I wouldn't expect it to be used all that often.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Me company use to give us cell phones. About 4 years ago, they started to offer reimbursement for byod. For years, I carried two phones.

ETA: If you byod, read the policy carefully. They may have the right to wipe your entire phone. Make sure you back it up.
      Last edited by csquared; 11-23-2017, 10:06 PM.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Be careful -- Some places can and will get around this. Food delivery, for instance. While there is little to no good reason to mandate you having a cell (in case someone cancels an order at the last second/tries to change it and refuses to take "It left the store five minutes ago" as a valid reason to start over from scratch), they can reasonably demand that you keep your cell on you and turned on, along with giving them your number as a contact point. In such a case, I'm fairly certain it doesn't count as "cell phone needed to do your job," even tho it comes in damn handy for asking for directions to houses with no lights on nor visible street numbers. Of course, something else that's handy for those last ones is a heavy-duty ultra-bright Maglite in a metal casing.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Yep - have two phones and two laptops.

Work pays for one of each, and I keep my personal stuff off of them. It's a lot easier that way as some of the stuff at work can be sensitive, and I don't need to give anyone the keys into my personal e-mail/network.

Fun stuff. Not

B
          "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
          I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

I am.... aggravated. I got a cheap prepaid phone from Best Buy for AT&T. It even says prepaid on the front. Everything about it says prepaid. Until you start setting it up and it absolutely insists you choose a plan to go any further in the setup.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
              I am.... aggravated. I got a cheap prepaid phone from Best Buy for AT&T. It even says prepaid on the front. Everything about it says prepaid. Until you start setting it up and it absolutely insists you choose a plan to go any further in the setup.
              I'd take it back, if you haven't already.
              You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

It could be that either :

- The option to add a prepaid CARD will show up, or

- By "Prepaid," they mean a prepaid PLAN that you need to do through them; you'd just pay for each month prior to its use rather than after.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I have a prepaid through AT & T. But it is a plan, $45/month with unlimited talk, text, and data (throttled after so much but I never hit that amount). There are more and less expensive, but it's a no contract thing. I can cancel whenever.

Comment

My work generously allows you to BYOD. However, they require certain applications to be installed, and you have to agree that they can access your phone and any data on it at any time, for any reason, and can make changes to it without your permission.

Uhh, no thanks.
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

My job requires that I have a phone with email on it, but they only require it to be active while you are at work. We are not in an office, so a phone is needed. We only need to make calls about 5-8 times a day, so it's not like it's heavy use. The nice thing is that they pay us about half our bill for this.

Comment

Working...
                      X