This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Tomaters!

Well, this is just a quick one...I'm still working at Wendy's (since the temp agency isn't giving me any work) and of course, we're dealing with the tomato issue. This hasn't really been too much of a concern, thankfully; most people have been ordering sandwiches without tomato, which means I simply gesture to one of the many signs around the restaurant (In english and spanish for your convenience!) and inform them that won't be a problem.

Thus far, I've only had 2 (maybe 3) issues with this. The first memorable one is a regular customer who only orders one sandwich that normally has no tomato slice with...well, tomato. She hadn't heard about the whole contamination thing, but at least was a good sport about it.

The second one actually isn't an issue with the tomato, but rather with the customer. The guy asks for his burger with no tomato, at which point I just smile and gesture to the sign right next to my register. The following convo then occurred:

me:
    sc: y'know

me: *beaming* Well, that won't be an issue sir, *gesture* because of the FDA advisory we actually aren't...
    SC: Yeah, I don't care.
    me: ...
    sc: ...
    me: ...ok then! will there be anything else?

Honestly while it wasn't all that big of an issue...it was the curtness of the reply, the cut-off, the fact that this was during the lunch rush when we were short-staffed, and the guy had this big-ass grin on his face the entire time (think cockmongler and you're getting close, and if you decide to google that image I refuse to apologize ) that just added up to make him a memory for the forums.

Oh and while I remember...am I the only person who can survive a bad day at work by just going on autopilot until it's time to go home, or have you guys done the same thing?
    Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
    --Unknown

It's amazing that he had the time to order the sandwich but found it so inconvenient to have to hold a short conversation with you at the same time.

I have gone on autopilot many many times... It's handy for passing away the dull days but it's also a bit disturbing to stop and suddenly realise that you can't remember what you were doing all day.

Comment

Auto-pilot helps a lot, but it has to be a very bad day for me to put it on. I usually keep auto-pilot for getting back home at undue hours.
      "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth karath View Post

(think cockmongler and you're getting close, and if you decide to google that image I refuse to apologize )

Oh and while I remember...am I the only person who can survive a bad day at work by just going on autopilot until it's time to go home, or have you guys done the same thing?
        I am so tempted to google cockmongler!

Yeah, on really bad days I have to go on autopilot. Either that or I will lose it!

I have at least 6 signs up about the tomatoes, you think people read them NO. This is day 5 of no tomatoes; I have gotten to the point where when they ask for tomatoes on their sandwich I don't say anything. I just keep making their sandwich. I bet a lot of them get home and wonder where the hell their tomatoes are.

For the most part our customers have been pretty okay about the tomato situation. I did have one guy get pissy and tell me that he thought it was a bunch of crap and didn't care if anyone got sick, he wanted tomatoes on his sandwich. I was so tempted to go find one and shove it up his butt!

On the first day of no tomatoes I was letting customers know as they were ordering. I was trying to be nice because I know that I change what type of sandwich that I want depending on what I put on it. One lady, upon me telling her that we had no tomatoes screamed at me "Did I ask for tomatoes, why are you telling me if I have not even asked for tomatoes!"

The only nice thing about no tomatoes is that we save quite a bit of time in the morning not having to slice 50lbs of them.
        Last edited by SubwayGirl; 06-12-2008, 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Course this was gonna cause problems. I do love the "I don't care if people get sick" guy - the same guy who would go and yell SUE the moment he got a stomach ache after eating at a place.

Comment

I'll just go get my tomatoes out of my garden. Problem solved.
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

i didnt know about the tomato thing either, i usually dont order tomato for some reason, sometimes i enjoy it though.

we were ordering some gyros at our local farmers market, and i over heard some conversation about why there were no tomatos

im all huh what happend to the tomatos, (i dont watch the news) contaminated they say

this brings back horrible memories of the spinich incodent last year, i was horrified as to when we would get some spinich, which means no spanikopita oh the horror. i had to be spinich free for a while it wasnt so bad i guess but it do order alot of stuff with it, so no spinich pizza either i cried a bit inside cause i would forget about it.
              "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Quoth queenbb View Post
                which means no spanikopita oh the horror
                I feel your pain. It hit right at a time when we were due to go to the Olive Garden for my favorite spinach and artichoke dip.

Comment

I LOVE tomatos, so this ban has been really hard on me. What is a hoagie with out tomatos? Please bring back the tomatos!
                  Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
                    I LOVE tomatos, so this ban has been really hard on me.
                    The ban on tomatoes sucks even more when you're engaged to and living with an Italian. I'm afraid we might both go into tomato withdrawal.
                    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Quoth karath View Post
                      if you decide to google that image I refuse to apologize
                      don't apologise it led me to a cute "de-motivational-esque" poster site
                      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I'm married to an Italian man and he thinks I go overboard with tomatoes.
                        Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

As long as they are cooked to above 145 degrees, there's no risk of salmonella.
                          If today is an indication of the rest of the week, I'm going to need to start drinking. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

Quoth katie kaboom View Post
                            The ban on tomatoes sucks even more when you're engaged to and living with an Italian. I'm afraid we might both go into tomato withdrawal.
                            Ohh, I'm sorry. There is no Italian food I enjoy that doesn't have tomatoes in it.

I need to learn how to garden so I can grow my own. Home grown tomatoes are 100,000,000 times better than any store-bought anyway.
                            Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Comment

Quoth Bradester View Post
                              Home grown tomatoes are 100,000,000 times better than any store-bought anyway.
                              Definetly! My mom grows tomatoes in her garden. She already told us if we want some we need to come get em.

And yes, i would go back to Baltimore for the sole purpose of getting them.
                              Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Working...
                              X