This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn, Mom let out her claws last night

I kinda wish I'd been there for most of this.

Ok, so in another thread, I talked about how my parents are pretty happy to ignore problems. But when they do feel there's a problem, they fight to the end. My sister, when she was very little, was diagnosed as a low-functioning autistic. It was said she would never talk, walk, or be potty-trained. My parents were told they should just put her in an institution for the rest of her life.

Well, my parents decided 'screw that' and got every book, and every article they could find on Autism. They refused to roll over and give up on her.

And trust me, she had a lot of problems.

My parents picked my sister's and my school due to them having the best special-ed in the area, but that wasn't saying much.

Mom went off on the school for not having the seatbelt-enabled seats on school buses, because if Sis was in a seatbelt, she'd calm down and accept her situation, but if she wasn't, she reportedly sat in the middle of the aisle and screamed.

Thanks to her, now all my district's buses have two of those seats (with two seatbelt places per seat.) She was also willing to stand up for other special-needs kids, volunteering to help on that bus. The bus driver also drove my bus, and in retaliation for my mother making her get up and buckle the kids in like she was supposed to do per regulations, the bus driver began to 'forget' my stop.

And when the school tried to have all the parents looking for an IEP in the same room, where the teachers would switch from table-to-table, Mom stood up, announced their rights to an "individual" education plan, and they all walked out.

Reportedly, the office people would flinch when they saw her coming.

When my sister, after getting streamlined successfully (having moved up the spectrum) was kept in the principal's office for three hours without them notifying Mom that my sister was having a meltdown, Mom made it very clear how big of a mistake that was.

Now apparently, she's at it again. Sis has been having some troubles with her secondary school. She goes to two high schools, one a specialized school for the more advanced kids, like she now is. The math teacher has decided Sis isn't worth her time, that Sis isn't smart enough to be there, and won't update progress reports so my parents can see what's going on.

Mom yelled at her for reportedly a half-hour for this, and finished by saying: "You have the personality of a wet sponge. No wonder [sis] keeps falling asleep in your class!"

I don't think Mom has gotten anybody fired yet, but after two years of my mother, one teacher did retire. (She was horrible to my sister and I. I felt so bad for Sis when I found out Sis had her.)

This is all from my mother. I haven't really gotten what happened from my sister or father, who both unsurprisingly (father because he's a closed-down person in matters like this, sister because she reportedly had a meltdown after the math teacher implied she was too stupid to be in the school) will not discuss it.

I wish I'd been there.

You go Mom!

Comment

Your Mom is awesome. May her claws stay sharp and ready to strike against the forces of ignorance.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Go Mom!

My sister and her partner have had similar issues with the schools my niece and nephew go to. Some schools just don't want to make any special effort unless you ride their asses.

As for teachers writing off students and retaliating against parents by screwing over the kids...wtf? Why are you in education to begin with?? Go find another job, for crying out loud!
        "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

^ story making me cry. What an awesome teacher.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Thankfully, my sister never had to deal with terrible teachers in school. It was the other kids on the school bus who the source of her torment. Bravo for mom laying the smack down, Cooper.
            "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

My mother was well-known with the local school board back in the early 80's for giving them Holy Hell when it came to special kids - my younger brother was attending a specialized school and she (Mom) had to fight tooth and nail with the school board to get any progress made as far as educational opportunities or upgrades for the school.

Mom's temper wasn't just known to them either. Whatever school I attended quickly learned not to piss her off over her daughter, either - especially high school.

By the time I was a senior, both office secretaries knew not only me by first name, but also my Mom and also her truck on sight. If my mom showed up, they probably cringed and said "Oh s*&^* . it's Mama DG. What's wrong this time?" amongst themselves.

She put not only the fear of her into several school board members, but one hardheaded principal for sending my brother home in a taxi cab b/c he had a meltdown at school (same principal she'd let loose on and filed a formal complaint against 2 years earlier for telling her that I was lying about being picked on by a group of kids on the bus b/c they were black and I was white.)

Needless to say, that principal after finding out who's child he'd sent home in the taxi was . . . almost turned white with fear after getting a chewout from Mom and another complaint filed against him. He was gone from my brother's school at the end of the school year (and he'd only been principal since Jan. after some homophobes decided the former principal wasn't suitable to be around their kids b/c he was gay)

So yeah, lived it growing up. In fact, I didn't worry too much about people who wanted to throw their authority around . . . one phone call to Mom was all it took to get whatever it was straightened out.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                More than a few teachers apparently do this. A friend of mine is currently doing her teaching internship and one of her favourite students is the one that all the other teachers warned her against because he is allegedly a troublemaker. Even the kid introduced himself with 'I know you know don't me yet but you will...none of the other teachers like me.' When she told me that my heart broke, just like hers did. But she told him that she wasn't going to take the other teachers' word for it concerning him and they get along famously, and he's been doing all of his assignments for her and getting good marks. So much for the kid who all the other teachers refuse to try to teach, eh?
                I actually had a similar scenario in my class on the last placement. The teacher had brought the best out of him, but he could be a right royal PITA at times. Despite this, I treated him as though he was capable. And he did get the work done.

As far as stories involving parents going to bat, my mother had to get involved on a few occasions. The biggest was when I was in Year 1. My class teacher had discovered that I was gifted and talented and wanted to move me up to Year 3. The principal wouldn't have any of it. My mum and the class teacher had to go to arms against the principal so he'd move me up a year.
                She also had to get involved with my sister's Mathematics teacher in Year 9/10 (one of the two) when it was discovered that my sister wasn't learning anything and the teacher was...horrible, for lack of a better description. End story was that the class was dissolved. While my sister wasn't affected enough for it to become an ongoing problem, I shudder at some of the graduates nowadays...
                Last edited by fireheart; 03-18-2013, 04:04 AM.
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                X