This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because "no" means "ask my manager"

Nothing puts me on the fast track to rage quite like a customer who can't take "no" for an answer. Especially if it's because they've made some glaringly wrong assumptions about the way my employer works and have decided to blame said employer for not measuring up.

"What do you mean you can't send me a brand-new device for a warranty replacement? If I had it replaced through insurance I'd get a new one!" (This guy wouldn't even shut up long enough for me to explain that his insurance company gives refurbished replacements.)

"You mean I have to pay a DEDUCTIBLE?! Why am I paying for insurance?" Apparently some people selectively forget how insurance works.

But my favorites are the ones who think that anything, and I mean ANYTHING, can be accomplished if they just ask for the "manager." Especially the ones who think that "supervisor" is a magic word that means I'm required to shut up and kowtow.

In the call center where I work, if a customer asks for a supervisor I'm required to try and de-escalate. In some cases this means getting more information about the issue and assuring them that I'm completely capable of handling it. If there's nothing I can do, I usually resort to the ol' "The supervisor has exactly the same information I do."

Of course, a few people don't want to hear that. They only care about the noises coming out of their own mouths and the stuff that they actually want to hear. So occasionally the exchange goes like this:
    "Get me a manager!"
    "All right, but I have to let you know-"
    "I don't care. Get them. I don't want to talk to you anymore."

GOOD, BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO YOU ANYMORE EITHER.

Or my personal favorite:

"The supervisor will give you the same-"
    (Loudly talking over me to keep me from finishing my sentence "Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I'll talk to the manager now. Thank you. Thank you. 'Bye."

It's cute how people are so insistent that they talk to a REAL PERSON and then treat you like a robot that they can shut off when they feel like they're done.

Quoth Sugarpuff View Post
    "The supervisor will give you the same-"
    (Loudly talking over me to keep me from finishing my sentence "Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I'll talk to the manager now. Thank you. Thank you. 'Bye."
    I get the same type of stuff. Especially the above. Then again, ASM is well known for breaking rules and giving them the moon to 'keep the customer happy', so that explains that. Although what's funny is that until our parking lot was repaved, he wore a purple oxford uniform shirt (same color as mine, different style). While that was going on, SCs were more likely to take me at my word and not ask for him (maybe they didn't recognize him as a manager when he was in the uniform...interesting).

In the rare cases where mgr doesn't roll over and give in, some magically are fine with "no" once it comes from the overlord (even if said overlord is younger than the peon who told them no in the first place).
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I've gotten into the habit of just calling the manager when something comes up where even though I know the answer and I know the outcome will be no different coming from another person.

Besides the managers are always telling us when something comes up that we're unsure about to call them. That's why they get paid the big bucks.
      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Yeah, funny thing about our call center is that we're actually against giving the customers extra stuff. Red Checkmark's been cracking down on a major scale. Tragically, we have a history of having some of the most weak-willed agents in existence, and the more customers get, the more they seem to come to expect.

Comment

Working...
        X