This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But... It’s CHRISTMAS!!!

Had a woman come in last week who has had three reset dates (meaning extensions) for her to pay the fines a jury assessed her for her tickets after finding her guilty. She has had almost a year now to get the $300 she owes saved up. (No, she is not at poverty level.)

She thought we would dismiss the fines this time “Because It’s CHRISTMAS!!!”

The judge gave her until end of the day to pay.

She came in today - a week late - and paid. Apparently, I and all the rest of us here now are “(Farkin’) Grinches” who are all going to hell.

Jingle all the way, ma’am!
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Is that typical? Why will I find an affirmative so easy to believe?
    Seems like the calling out the Christmastime Card didn't work on the judge either
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

The judge gave her a Christmas present. He did not have her arrested and jailed for contempt of court.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

What is the context here? How did she get so many extensions and then no penalty for paying a week late? Is this some over-extended municipal jurisdiction where there are no resources for enforcement? Did she have a cracking good lawyer? Is she a gifted con artist who bamboozled the judge? Lots of possibilities.
        Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
        TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

I wish I'd had this on my last speeding ticket, which was a year ago during the week of Thanksgiving.

So, if she'd had three extensions, Halloween must have worked, and before that, Labor Day weekend, and even before that, Fourth Of July. I guess her holiday luck had finally run out.

Comment

I wonder which armchair lawyer told her that they'd dismissed such charges at the holidays, so all she needed to do was keep asking for an extension until said holiday came around again...
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
              I wonder which armchair lawyer told her that they'd dismissed such charges at the holidays, so all she needed to do was keep asking for an extension until said holiday came around again...
              I'll bet it was an undigested blob of mustard.
              Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post
                I'll bet it was an undigested blob of mustard.
                a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato.
                Good one TWE.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                  a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato.
                  Good one TWE.
                  Please consider this post liked (also TWE's post)
                  Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                    Please consider this post liked (also TWE's post)
                    Removes hat and takes a bow
                    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

Working...
                    X