This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yer basic Canadian standoff ...

Definitely not sucky, just stereotypically funny.

I finish taking an order from the customer in front of my till. Two women are waiting to put in their orders ... one is standing where the next person in line should be, the other about three feet away, just in front of a display stand. However, I have no idea who got there first.

Me: "I can help whoever's next ..."

The two women look at each other.

And then it starts.

NOOOOOOOO ...

W#1: "You were here first ..."

W#2: "Oh no, you can go first ..."

W#1: "No, no, that's okay ..."

Thankfully we were very slow tonight, so the "No, No, You Go First" waltz didn't inconvenience anybody else.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Still giggling over "Canadian standoff".

I once told a customer from Canada "I hear being Canadian is like living next door to the Simpsons". She liked that.

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post

I once told a customer from Canada "I hear being Canadian is like living next door to the Simpsons". She liked that.
      Took me a minute...

Yeah, I wish I could talk to our Canadian customers but only every once in a while does one come through to the American line. They're so nice.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I live in a border town and I'm continually baffled by the stereotype that Canadians are all so polite. I did not have this experience AT ALL when I worked in retail. Customers from north of the border acted the same as customers from here. They were often yelling at me because they forgot their coupons across the border, so I should just give them discounts because reasons. Stuff like that.

Customers and people are the same everywhere.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Pix I like that, I coined a similar phrase about my Mom her sisters and their Mother. While growing up they always tried to out sacrifice each other as to not put another out. I called that Dueling Martyrs.
          Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Back on the day, that was called an Alphose and Gaston routine, after an old comic strip Alphonse & Gaston were seriously polite Frenchmen

Comment

At my hotel job, we get people from around the world and I can see where they're coming from. I've gotten really nasty people from lots of countries, except Canada. They're nice and mind their business and don't start trouble! Plus I've visited twice and they were always happy, even the homeless!
              Can't reason with the unreasonable.
              The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Count me among those who like the term "Canadian standoff." That's one I'm gonna keep and use somewhere.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post

So being Canadian is like living next door to us, since that's our last name? Trust me - we aren't anywhere near that strange.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                    I live in a border town and I'm continually baffled by the stereotype that Canadians are all so polite. I did not have this experience AT ALL when I worked in retail. Customers from north of the border acted the same as customers from here. They were often yelling at me because they forgot their coupons across the border, so I should just give them discounts because reasons. Stuff like that.

Customers and people are the same everywhere.
                    The truth is, we have our quota of asshats just like anybody else, and I would like to apologize for them. If your boss will allow it, feel free to tell them to go back where they came from. There is no excuse for that kind of crap.

That's why I called it a stereotype; it's got a bit of truth in it but it's also more than a little bit of an exaggeration.

There's a great book somewhere out there titled "But Not in Canada!" by the late Walter Stewart, that looks at exactly this view we have of ourselves.
                    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                      The truth is, we have our quota of asshats just like anybody else, and I would like to apologize for them.
                      And that is Canadian again!!
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

This is the perfect time to let Abraham Lincoln decide.
                        This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Just watch out for Scott...

Comment

Quoth Apallo View Post
                            Just watch out for Scott...
                            Patriotic...but a giant dick

But seriously, I've found that Canadians are very polite, even to us ignorant "Muricans"
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                              The truth is, we have our quota of asshats just like anybody else, and I would like to apologize for them. If your boss will allow it, feel free to tell them to go back where they came from. There is no excuse for that kind of crap.

That's why I called it a stereotype; it's got a bit of truth in it but it's also more than a little bit of an exaggeration.
                              Nobody should be apologizing, lol! Now everyone has said that the northern neighbors they've dealt with have been nice?! This is not fair. Where were those when I worked retail? I'd say that the fabric store brought out the worst in people, but I also witnessed it at the warehouse store, so I know it wasn't just at my work. I wonder if it's because we're so so close to the border? I'm talking less than 30 minutes, if you miss your exit you're in trouble. To be honest, the all stores in my town have a crazy panicky feeling. I've posted about it before, how grocery shopping feels like there's an impending hurricane, blizzard, zombie apocalypse.
                              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                              X