This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are limits even to our generosity

Had a lady the other day who asked me if we take competitors coupons.
    I replied 'Yes' immediately, and she pulled out a coupon that was so obviously printed off the internet. (How do I know? She had cut off the bottom of the paper, but the top had the internet address where she'd gotten the coupon, and the fact that it was 'Page 1 of 1' kinda tipped me off).
    RJ: "Well, yes, but they have to have been in print."
    L: "What do you mean? This was 'in print' on the internet."
    RJ: "Yes, but we don't take internet coupons." Final word from above, damnit.
    L: "So, then, you don't take competitors coupons."
    RJ: *sigh* "No, we take competitor coupons so long as they came from the newspaper, we don't take internet coupons because they're horribly easy to: fake; mass produce; and can become invalid in days, as opposed to weeks, not to mention we have no way of checking to see if the competition even accepts those coupons." Give up, I'm beating your chances to a pulp.
    L: "So, you don't take competitors coupons?"
    RJ: "We take their coupons so long as they came from the paper. Hell, we don't even take our own coupons off the internet."

Lady left, huzzah.
    "I call murder on that!"

What part of "we don't take internet coupons" didn't she understand?

Comment

Internet coupons are just evil. We still take them, but only if the bar code scans. Even if the coupon is legit, if the bar code doesn't scan, we won't accept it. Too many fraudulant coupons out there. For example, if the value of the coupon says $5.00 off, when the item in question is only $4.97, then it is a safe bet the coupon is fake. Many people are quite understanding, but you always get the one or two who start whining...."But I found it onliiiine. What do you mean you can't taaaaake it?" After about the 8th time telling them it is fake, they finally get it. Sort of.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Bright...the word "don't" obviously.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

A few days ago I went to a local drugstore to buy my absolute favorite brand of ice tea(Lipton's black tea with lemon! Woo).

To my delight, there was a pile of coupons stuck to the freezer for the public to take, guaranteeing 50 cents off a purchase of said tea. 50 cents is a lot to me since I'm still in school, so I happily took my tea and one coupon and went to the cashier.

She took one long look at the coupon, raised a brow at me and asked, "Did you get this off the internet?"

My low self esteem caused me to panic, especially since I'd seen the cashier before and she knew I came almost every day for that tea and still accused me of it. I knew I shouldn't feel insulted, but I was a little flustered when I stuttered that no, I had gotten the coupon right off the freezer where there was a whole pack of them stuck on.

It's kind of alarming when the cashiers don't know about the coupons in their store (And they needed to manually put in the discount, too).

Either way, I guess she must have been speaking from experience. XP

Comment

I'll usually accept an internet coupon for a low amount, like 50 cents or a dollar.. but if they're for a FREE item, usually those are scams, and the store won't be reimbursed for it anyway.

At my store we had two women who were coming in 2 or 3 times a week with a whole stack of internet coupons for free expensive items like razor systems and Prilosec. The first time I saw them back in the cash office, I thought they were fishy but I let it go. It took our store losing almost $2000 to these women for them to finally put a stop to the cashiers accepting the free coupons. I'm sure the women were selling the razors and Prilosec on Ebay or something.

People should know that if it SEEMS too good to be true ("Hey! A coupon for a free $20 Gilette razor system!") it PROBABLY is, and your coupon will be turned down.
            My Myspace, add me!

Comment

Seeing as we have to override our prices for competitor's coupons, no scanning is necessary, so, we're extremely hesitant about that.
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

We don't accept competitor's coupons at all. This seems to provoke whining along the terms of, "But *insert competitor here* accepts other supermarket coupons!" If our competitor jumped off a cliff, that wouldn't mean we had to. No coupon for you! XD
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                  We don't accept competitor's coupons at all. This seems to provoke whining along the terms of, "But *insert competitor here* accepts other supermarket coupons!" If our competitor jumped off a cliff, that wouldn't mean we had to. No coupon for you! XD
                  Along the lines of the old "What do you mean $3? It's $1.80 at the supermarket!" I once replied to that with "Yeah, but is the supermarket open at 2am on Christmas Day?" (and got written up for it)

Comment

I have to admit we took advantage of a great online coupon offer. It was from Target.com for $1.00 off any 2 gerber foods. They had a sale at the same time for Size 2 jars of baby food for $.50 each. We got like 50 jars of baby food for $.27. Now, there are a couple of stores that don't take the online coupons, and we don't throw a fit about it. But this was from their own site (I think they have since realized what a deal people were getting and discontinued the coupon).
                    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
                    X