This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smile to my Face, SC behind my back.

So, most of the "SC's" I get in the Animal ER are those who agree to the estimate, sign it, and then when the final bill comes (which is almost always between the low end and the high end) they have to debate every single line item.

But tonight I was just super irritated by this one woman.

She called in to say that her cat had been skunked. Apparently she was related to one of our doctors who told her to bring it in (which got me a bit annoyed and I'll explain later.)

Let me tell you guys, and then I'll say what I told her. Your animal getting skunked is NOT a medical emergency. Even if your animal gets sprayed in the face. Their eyes will look irritated and weepy, and they may drool a lot, but that's your pet's way of naturally getting the skunk spray out of its eyes and mouth. Your pet is NOT DYING.

If you bring your skunked pet to an animal ER, all the staff will be quite annoyed (they won't show it to you, they'll be polite and professional, but inside they will be annoyed.) Now anyone who is waiting with injured or ill animals, and the staff themselves, have to deal with the skunk smell. Which, by the way, will remain in the hospital for DAYS after you have left, even with scrubbing.

If your animal got bite/scratched by the skunk AND sprayed, please clean the pet up (there is a formula that is pretty much 100% effective of taking off all the skunk smell) and then bring it in to be patched up.

So anyway.

I told her that her cat will be perfectly fine, that weepy eyes is the cat's natural defense to getting the spray out of its eyes. I gave her the skunk formula and told her that if she's concerned her pet may have been injured by the skunk, use that formula to clean said cat up and then bring it on down and we can take a look.

She wrote down the formula, thanked me, and then hung up the phone.

A bit later the phone rang again, but I was already on a call and ALSO dealing with someone in the lobby so I couldn't answer it. One of the technicians did.

I went back there to tell them about a new arrival and the technician said to me,

"So, Ambrosia, I picked up the phone and some lady was like the receptionist was really rude and said her cat wasn't allowed in the hospital." He then shrugged and grinned. "I don't care, I know you wouldn't do that, just thought I'd let you know."

^ This is the same technician who is constantly complimenting me on how I handle our clients and how I am an amazing CSR (client service representative.)

I grit my teeth, smiled, and then immediately went to my computer to write an e-mail to my supervisor in case the lady tries to escalate the situation.

Really lady? You think I'm rude because I'm telling you your cat will be fine? That you don't have to spend over $100 just to have the doctor look at your cat and tell you it's fine.

I also let our supervisor know about the name drop she had done. That particular doctor is new... but I have no idea why she would tell her relative to bring her skunked animal to the ER. If she did at all.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Sounds to me like the SC wanted you to clean the skunk smell off her cat and was mad because you told her to do it rather than tell her to bring the cat in.

Comment

I don't know about anyone else, but when the tech on the emergency line tells me how to handle the problem over the phone so I can avoid the ER charge, I'm grateful!

It's saved me boatloads of unnecessary charges. Every time, my cat has been Just. Fine.

The only worry I would have about a skunk encounter would be the possibility of rabies. But if the cat is up to date on her shots, that's not really a concern.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
        I don't know about anyone else, but when the tech on the emergency line tells me how to handle the problem over the phone so I can avoid the ER charge, I'm grateful!

It's saved me boatloads of unnecessary charges. Every time, my cat has been Just. Fine.

The only worry I would have about a skunk encounter would be the possibility of rabies. But if the cat is up to date on her shots, that's not really a concern.

Well, if that SC WANTS to pay $100 then charge her double for being an idiot.

Comment

Eh, Jez was a delicate salmon color after I shut her in the glass doored tub with me and bombed her with tomato juice. Stench went away, and I swear, I washed the juice off with the right temperature water and her kitteh shampoo and gave her a nice heavy warm towel rubdown and snuggle. Oddly enough, she has no objection to being bathed normally [she likes the snuggle time].
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

One of my parents dogs got sprayed and after being sprayed, was enraged enough to kill the skunk! Poor boy took it right in the face. Didn't take him to the vet, because other than the smell, there wasn't a mark on him! Just gave him the de-skunker and had to deal with a stinking yard for DAYS afterwards.
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

You're assuming that she was going to pay? I'm sure she expected you to do all the work and then say that she gets it free cause she knows the vet

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that she won't thank you for saving her all that money should your paths cross in the future.

If you have the time and inclination, what's the 'formula' for deskunking? I've only ever heard of tomato juice, then dishsoap.

Comment

Mix the following ingredients in a plastic bucket:

1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (open a fresh bottle)

¼ cup of Baking Soda

1-2 teaspoons of Liquid Soap

Note: for large dogs, the recipe can be doubled or you can add one quart of lukewarm water to ensure complete body coverage.

Directions:

Apply the solution to the entire coat and work it deeply into the fur.
                  Leave on for at least 5 minutes or until the odor is gone.
                  Rinse your pet thoroughly with lukewarm water.
                  Smell your pet! If he still reeks of skunk, repeat steps 1-3!
                  Pour any remaining solution down the drain with running water.
                  NEVER store the solution in a closed bottle as pressure can build up and cause the container to explode.

Side note - this can bleach out darker coat colors but it will grow out. Temporary bleaching is preferable to skunk stink.

2nd side note - if you think your dog or cat was bitten by the skunk, even if up to date on their rabies vaccine, see a vet immediately. Canine or feline rabies vaccines are only effective about 50% of the time against other strains of rabies, such as those carried by skunks or other wild animals.

Comment

I think the trick is the acid in the tomato juice. So you could use vinegar or some citric acid in water or citrus juice or whatever. Personally, I'd use baking soda and dog shampoo, rinse, and then do a final rinse with diluted vinegar.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
                      1/4 cup baking soda.
                      1 teaspoon - 1 tablespoon Dawn (It MUST be Dawn) dish detergent.

Skunk spray is oil based, so the dawn dish soap is there to cut the oil and get it out. The other two ingredients neutralize the enzyme that causes the stink in the first place.

Mix it all up, put it on the dog/cat in the area that you believe they got skunked, leave it for around 5 minutes, rinse and ta-dah! No more skunk smell.
                      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post

I wound up freaking out the first time when Mitchell (our Tonk boycat who has sadly passed on ) was grumpier than usual, very warm and very "woolly." I freaked out and called the vet.
                        She wound up asking me "Did he have his injections today?"
                        Me: Yes.
                        Vet: well, sometimes that's normal with cats. If you just leave him alone for a bit, he'll be fine.

The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                          I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that she won't thank you for saving her all that money should your paths cross in the future.

If you have the time and inclination, what's the 'formula' for deskunking? I've only ever heard of tomato juice, then dishsoap.
                          Lemon juice worked for my St. Bernard.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                            1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
                            I use to have a black & tan hound mix. Good thing he never tangled with a skunk. He was as dumb as a stump. Right now I can't help but picture him as a bottle blonde.

Yes, I am terrible.
                            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                            Save the Ales!
                            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                              I use to have a black & tan hound mix. Good thing he never tangled with a skunk. He was as dumb as a stump. Right now I can't help but picture him as a bottle blonde.

Yes, I am terrible.
                              I have a black/tan Husky mix who could be a bottle blonde.

She's a sweetheart, though. But also stubborn and has a mind of her own. And usually doing what you don't want her to do.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X