Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You're going the right way for a smacked bottom.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're going the right way for a smacked bottom.

Yes. I'm from the South. Yes. I have an accent. No. It's not nice to make fun of it or mock me, you dumb Yank.

Yes. I am educated. Yes. I can speak as such. No. Just because I use terms of endearment, such as cher, hon, or sweet, does not mean you can yell at me for being rude or stupid. It's a habit, tell me you don't like it and I won't do it. Jackass tourist.

I have no idea why corporate is making us put out Christmas..... No we are not devil worshipers..... No you cannot help me find Jesus.

I'm so sick of crazy tourists!!!
    No ma'am. I'm sorry, I cannot control the temperature. We're in hell, that's why.

People like that embarrass the rest of us Yankees. Did they by any chance say "That's not how we do it up North!"?
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Having a southern accent doesn't mean that someone is ignorant. It means that they're from the South. That's ALL it means!

Comment

There's just one phrase you need to know when dealing with someone like that: "Well, bless your heart"
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If you have a southern accent, it means you are from where the food actually tastes good...
          And unto the I offer the 11th commandment of god, that whomsover calleth "Shotgun" shall heretofore and forever lay claim to that seat......until you have to pee!!-your friendly neighborhood Crucible

Comment

Don't you mean "Wahl bless yo' hear'." ?

(And it always amuses me to hear 'Southern' used to refer to anyplace north of the equator. I know it's just a directional reference, and you'd probably find FNQ - Far North Queensland - just as amusing ....)

Seshat (uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ)
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Crucible1 View Post
              If you have a southern accent, it means you are from where the food actually tastes good...
              Sorry...best BBQ I ever had was in Brentwood, New Hampshire!

Comment

Eric and Crucible, you are both right.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                  Eric and Crucible, you are both right.
                  Just remember how people north of us (meaning the UP) speak Food Lady.

Heck my sister has been in our area for like 45 years and her "accent" going from a "southern Midwest" twang to pronounced Cheeseheadlandish.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Jarlaxle View Post
                    Sorry...best BBQ I ever had was in Brentwood, New Hampshire!
                    They probably moved there from the South.
                    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                      Don't you mean "Wahl bless yo' hear'." ?
                      Mayyybe. I reckon. Wait..."Wahl" ?? Sounds more like "Wey-ull" if y'all are goin' for a GAW-juh Peach acc-ent ^_^

For the uninitiated, "Bless your heart" is a (USA) Southernism that means, "You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"
                      (uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ)
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

*chortles* I have been known to use, "Bless your ever loving heart," for the rock-chewingly stupid ones!

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is if Arkansas is considered part of the "South" or what... because I don't think Arkansas knows for sure any more. During the Civil War, it was as South as Georgia, but now? Bah. We've gotten too many Yanks flying south and unfortunately staying (Don't mind me, I'd rather be closer to the Arctic Circle, myself.)
                        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I drove through Tennessee a while back and stopped to get some fast food. The girl behind the counter, in a thick southern drawl asked, "Y'all have an accent?"

Coming directly from the Pacific NW, driving cross-county, my knee-jerk reaction was to reply: Nope, but yours is really strong!
                          My actual response was: "... ... ... Yes. Yes I do."

Comment

I've lived in the south my entire life and I only ever hear old people say the really stereotypical shit.
                            "Weyull butta mah butt n call me a biscit!"

I actually found most of the stereotypes when I lived in TN.
                            GA is just trashy feeling.

Comment

Quoth minchazo View Post
                              I drove through Tennessee a while back and stopped to get some fast food. The girl behind the counter, in a thick southern drawl asked, "Y'all have an accent?"
                              Back in the early 90s, I was touring in Colorado, driving up to the Moffatt Tunnel. I stopped at an antique store in Rollinsville, or near there, and found a record player that didn't have a stylus. I mentioned to the proprietress that there was a place I knew back in Brooklyn that sold them by mail-order (this was pre-internet commerce, of course), and wrote down the number for her.

On the way back from the tunnel, I stopped by again and asked her if she'd called. She said, "Yes, it was the funniest thing, I was talking to a guy who had the same accent as you do!"

Now I'd never thought I spoke particularly thick Brooklynese, but apparently I was distinctive enough for her to notice...

Comment

Working...
                              X