Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You're going the right way for a smacked bottom.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
    Technically, Arkansas is still in the South. Whether or not its residents can be considered Southerners depends on where they were born. If you were not born in a Southern state, you are not a Southerner, no matter how long you've lived there.

Deep South is far from the Mason Dixon line. You're talking Georgia, South Carolina, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana.
    All my life I've either lived south of the Mason Dixon or right next to the Arctic Circle. (And you'd not be surprised that most Arkansans don't know what the Mason-Dixon is.) And I'm Southern, no matter how I slice it, because I was born in South Carolina. I've lost and gained the twang more times that I want to remember....
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I am told I have a southern accent, and I was born and raised in a Northern state. The reason I have said accent is because of 2 reasons. 1) My dad was 'from the south', and 2) We lived near Kentucky. Now Kentucky is not 'deep south', but you would never know it if you met this brood. . Funny thing is there are states that are 'deep south' that do not have the accent..Florida is one.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I was friends with a girl from Lakeland, Fl. She had the thickest southern accent.
        "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

I'm surprised this thread has gotten this far taking about accents without this quote.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
            ... 'deep south' that do not have the accent..Florida is one.
            Most of Florida these days is more NYC South Borough than southern. Except for those parts that are Havana del Norte. Not to mention the island of Tempe al Este.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I was talking to a woman from Alabama recently and her accent was so thick it was like pea soup that your spoon could stand up in. Between the drawl and making one-syllable words into a minimum of two-syllable words with each syllable having a very distinct start and stop I am sure that my eyes were starting to water. I was almost ready to ask her if she was having one over on me because I was starting to think the accent was fake with how over the top it was!

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                I am told I have a southern accent, and I was born and raised in a Northern state. The reason I have said accent is because of 2 reasons. 1) My dad was 'from the south', and 2) We lived near Kentucky. Now Kentucky is not 'deep south', but you would never know it if you met this brood. . Funny thing is there are states that are 'deep south' that do not have the accent..Florida is one.
                My Dad was from Texas, and my Mom from Massachusetts. Both had lost their accents for the most part. Mom in particular was prone to that Boston twang when she was in a hurry or ticked off.

I have Dad's letters from when he was in the Navy, before he went to college. They reek of the South in terms of word choices and grammar.

I used to have a "Maryland" accent, but it was very faint. Most people not from Maryland would not recognize it. I don't have an accent any more.

But when I lived in North Dakota, the folks there swore I was from the deep South based on my accent
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I have an aunt from Minnesota. Her accent is medium to light, and has greatly faded since I was a kid. But for the longest time I had literally no idea why she spoke the way she did. I just thought she just pronounced things different because she wanted to, or something.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I'm from da Souf, bro! Souf Auckland! XD Also, the Southern Hemisphere. But the North Island!
                    Twice last week, I was asked if I was from the South (meaning the South Island) because I roll my R's, apparently. I must get it from my mum as she's a Mainlander.
                    Last edited by rapana1; 10-09-2014, 08:57 AM.
                    Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
                    It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

I'd love to know how you did the upside down writing.
                      fliptext.org is one place, there are several.

I've had Texas BBQ. North Carolina BBQ is better.
                      Them there's fratchin' words!

Comment

As a lifelong New Englander, I sound like it. After 10+ years working in the Boston area, I've even picked up a bit of that accent.

Weirdest accent I ever heard: equal parts Kentucky...and Australia!

Comment

Quoth rapana1 View Post
                          Twice last week, I was asked if I was from the South (meaning the South Island) because I roll my R's
                          This thread is useless without video.

If you don't get it, try reading the quote out loud.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            Allow me to provide a translation for those not conversant in Hick Southern. (Spoilered for those who wish to remain blissfully ignorant.)
                            Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was a Southern eye test!
                            cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              I thought y'all drove full-size domestic pickup trucks, not subcompact Korean cars.
                              Heyy, mine's japanese.

Quoth Mytical View Post
                              That actually depends on the part of Florida a given person is from. I'm from central (orlando, granted i'm a transplant from so cal), and I'm just now starting to 'get' the accent.
                              Last edited by EricKei; 10-17-2014, 03:00 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
                              If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

A few things:
                                --I totally got the southern language test right away.
                                --My mom's from the south but doesn't sound anything like y'all are sayin'.
                                --I'm from California, but I have been saying y'all all my life.
                                --People in Wisconsin pronounce bag as beg, and it was one of the first things I notice.
                                --I don't know what the Pacific northwest accent is, but down the coast and inland a bit it's a Spanish one.
                                --My mom doesn't give the stereotypical southern responses, but she has other weird ones like "Rabbit run over your grave?" and "uglier than homemade sin".
                                --Floridans don't have a deep southern accent, but they do have a southern accent. They sound like Gomer Pyle. Well, my family does.
                                --Mytical is one of those in his state with that southern drawl. He doesn't hear it, but I do!
                                --
                                Those aquatic fowl appear to be Anas platyrhynchos.
                                I refute your assertion.
                                I vehemently repeat my original hypothesis, sans noun.
                                The steadfastness of your conviction has illuminated me.
                                Those are, indeed, ducks.
                                ROFL!
                                --yoopers (UP--upper peninsula Michigan) have a really specific way of pushing vowels through their upper register. I don't know how else to explain that.
                                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                                X