This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commandments for Contacting Call Centers

Thou shalt be prepared. Have necessary account numbers, identity verification info, note-taking materials, and so on, ready before your call is answered. If you do not care about your own time or that of the agent who is being scored on such things as how quickly they can handle your call, and whose job depends on satisfying management on this point, consider that the reason you had a long hold time was that someone before you was as disorganized as you are. You really do not need to pay this forward. A part of being prepared to make a business-related call is that you should also be sober when making the call. Being drunk, high, or both will just make the whole thing even less efficient and more unpleasant for all parties.

Thou shalt get to the point and stay there. The agent you are speaking with does not need your biography, medical history, etc., as explanation for why you need routine tasks performed. The agent just needs to know, clearly, directly, and concisely, what task you need him/her to perform.

Thou shalt proceed in linear fashion instead of jumping all over the possible topics of the call, allowing each question to be answered in turn before proceeding to the next. This will make it much easier for the person at the other end to keep track of what you have asked and efficiently answer all queries.

Thou shalt be mindful that thou art speaking to a fellow human being. Use of normal social courtesies will make life more pleasant for all parties. Courteous behavior also frequently motivates the agent to do more on your behalf than the absolute minimum necessary to get rid of you.

Thou shalt control background noise to the best of thine ability. If you are in a noisy environment such as a bar or bowling alley, and background noise is as loud as your voice, the call will not go well, especially if you have a low tolerance for being asked to repeat yourself because the other party cannot clearly hear you. Also, TURN DOWN THE TV OR MUSIC if you are calling from home.

Thou shalt pay attention to thy call and not be carrying on multiple conversations, especially if one involves yelling at those in the room with thee. Respect for the agent's time and basic politeness both come into play here.

Thou shalt pay attention to the questions thou art being asked, and answer them succinctly. This is necessary to accomplish the purpose of your call.

Thou shalt listen to the answers thou receivest, and shalt not interrupt while thy question is being answered. Hark back to earlier remarks about "normal social courtesies". This will also render the call more efficient.

Thou shalt not consider thyself above policies, laws, and reality. Whining, bullying, cursing, tantrums, and personal threats do NOT motivate the person at the other end of the conversation to jeopardize employment or risk legal sanctions to bow to your sacred whim, even if what you want is physically possible. When you are one of a hundred callers the agent handles in a day, you are just not that special.

Thou shalt not flirt with, hit on, ask out, or proposition the agent thou art speaking with. You know nothing about that voice on the phone. Even if you're right about that person's gender, you do not know their marital/commitment status, age, orientation, or geographical location, much less anything about him/her as a human being. You probably do not really want to be the subject of breakroom mockery for being THAT pathetically desperate.

Thou shalt not call while driving. This is dangerous for all parties, including the person at the other end of the phone who is now dreading hearing a crash.

Thou shalt not call while in the restroom. Others in the restroom do not want to hear your phone call and the agent REALLY does not want to hear biological sounds or flushing.

Thou shalt not call while eating. You really wouldn't want to hear someone crunching or chewing or smacking in your ear, so why do you think the person you're talking to wants to hear that?
    Last edited by Seanette; 01-24-2018, 04:48 AM. Reason: additional excellent suggestions for entries
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

ok.. I was with you 100%....but the last rule killed it...
    “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
    ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

[laughing] Are you sure you're not one of my callers?
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

(sarcasm)
        And here I thought only persons who call in for pizza take out were like that
        (end sarcasm
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

And for the love of Christ please do not call while you are on the toilet! Or DRIVING! I don't want you to make me responsible for you getting in a crash because you need to have your credit card info ready and are now digging for it while driving down the damn road.
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
            And for the love of Christ please do not call while you are on the toilet! Or DRIVING! I don't want you to make me responsible for you getting in a crash because you need to have your credit card info ready and are now digging for it while driving down the damn road.
            THIS! SO much this!

10char
            AkaiKitsune
            Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
              Good ones here. Adding to list.

Comment

And also, ,,whats with People who cannot hang up the phone after the call Is done ,

Comment

Should also add Thou shalt not call while eating, drinking, or putting anything of any sort into your piehole. I've lost count of how many phone calls I took hearing smacking sounds that may or may not be...oral...in nature....?

Comment

How about "Thou Shalt Not Call from a Bowling Alley"

Yep. Happened.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      How about "Thou Shalt Not Call from a Bowling Alley"

Yep. Happened.
                      Not surprising. I'll add an item for background noise.

Comment

How about "Thou shalt pay attention to the questions you're being asked, and answer them succinctly." I've had to ask clarifying questions more times than I can recall, and half the time or better, the initial reply has NOTHING to do with the question I asked, and that's info I need to be able to help you.
                        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          How about "Thou Shalt Not Call from a Bowling Alley"...
                          How else to stress "I have big balls and I can not lie" ???
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                            How about "Thou shalt pay attention to the questions you're being asked, and answer them succinctly." I've had to ask clarifying questions more times than I can recall, and half the time or better, the initial reply has NOTHING to do with the question I asked, and that's info I need to be able to help you.
                            Good addition, and inspires a corollary. See post 1.

Comment

Talking on the phone while in the loo is just all kinds of wrong. No one needs to hear the .... sounds... ever. I used to try to be quiet if someone was on the phone in another cubicle. But not anymore. I've lost track of the amount of times I have loudly called people out on it.

The only exceptions to the no talking on phones in the loos is if you are in a nightclub/pub and you are trying to get in contact with someone that was supposed to be there, calling for a ride home or are calling for help with a drunk friend.

The eating thing can be a bit tricky. When you are on hold for 2-4 hours, the phone always seems to get answered just as you are half way through a snack. That is when you apologise and move the phone AWAY from your mouth while you quickly chew and swallow, then apologise again and get on with the call.
                              A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Working...
                              X