This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irate SC doesn't understand how loans work

So I took this phone call from a customer yesterday. I maybe didn’t handle it as well as I could have, but he started yelling at me from almost the beginning of the call. This is the conversation as best as I can remember it.

SC: Why isn’t my mortgage balance lower than it is? It was down to $7000 at one point, so why is it $11,000 now?
    Me: It was never as low as $7000. I don’t know where you’re getting that from. Also, you’ve had many late payments for which you were charged late fees, which makes it more difficult to bring down the balance. You’ve even been close to foreclosure a couple of times.
    SC: I’ve never been late! And I’ve certainly never been close to foreclosure! [I looked later. We sent pre-foreclosure letters at least twice, with the most recent in 2015.]
    Me: Maybe I'm mis-remembering. I don't have your loan file in front of me.
    SC: I want to see the records of my payment history.
    Me: We might not have it all, since your loan has been renewed twice when it ballooned, and we don’t always keep the old loan information if it’s been paid off more than 6 years.
    SC: Well, in my work, we have to keep everything 15 years!
    Me: We don’t.
    SC: Well, we do.
    Me: We don’t, but I’ll try to find what I can and make a copy for you.
    SC: What if you don’t have it? Who do I go to to get it?
    Me: Nobody. If we don’t have it, it’s been destroyed. It doesn’t exist. But I’ll see what I can find and I’ll make a copy for you if we have it.

Around this time, he hung up. I went and found his old loan file, which surprisingly did have the payment history back to when he and his wife bought the house in 2006. In addition to almost constant late charges, they didn’t have insurance on the house after the first year, so we’ve advanced on the loan almost every year for force-placed insurance premiums.

SC called our main branch and talked to the Senior Lender. After she got off the phone with him, she called me. I kind of apologized, saying that I could have handled it better, but that all the information I gave him was correct. I also told her about the force-placed insurance premiums (the last one was in May). I said I was mailing SC a copy of the full loan history, so he could see exactly what his balance was over the full course of the loan.

She didn’t seem too upset with me, for which I’m relieved. She said she would call SC back. I hadn't heard anything back, so I thought everything went ok. But I heard through our branch manager that she was on the phone with him for over an hour, and he was still very upset. She asked for his loan files so that she could figure out what documents to mail to him (copies of collection letters and force-placed insurance letters, I assume).

Some more background:
    I recall that SC came to the area looking for work. Jobs weren’t as plentiful as he’d been told, so he and his wife moved back to Florida to live with with his parents. He didn’t give us a forwarding address then, nor when he moved again. Payments were sporadic, and that was the first time we sent a pre-foreclosure letter. For a short time, they rented out the house to cover the loan payments. They still weren’t able to get insurance.

Eventually, they moved back into the house. He got a job as an electrician; she started working in the hospital cafeteria. They continued to have frequent late payments until about a year ago, when she came in and made a year’s worth of payments (with their tax refund, as I recall). So they’re paid up until March, but there’s a huge chunk of interest sitting there because they haven’t been making any payments. Their next 4 payments will go entirely to interest because of that.

He’s made the claim before that the loan was down to $7000 at some point. He never says when. But if they’d made their payments on time and had bought their own homeowners insurance, their loan balance would be under $7000 now.

Cause and effect, do you understand it?
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Damm I wish I only had 7k left on my house.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

I wish I had enough saved up to buy a house with only a $16,000 loan.

While looking into it for the senior lender, I discovered that my understanding of the situation was slightly off. The original interest rate on the loan was much higher than it is now, so their first year of payments would have gone almost entirely to interest, even if they hadn't had any late payments. Based on that initial interest rate, they would only have paid down about $3000 of the loan by now. Which makes no sense to me.

I have no idea why the loan officer set up a $16,000 loan on a 30-year amortization so the monthly payments were only $110. It's possible the customers asked her to keep the payments low, but I have no idea. There's no comments to that effect in the file, and the loan officer is retired, so there's no way to know what was said at the time.

But none of that helps the fact that they started making payments late within the first year of the loan, or that they didn't keep insurance on the house.
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
        Me: We might not have it all, since your loan has been renewed twice when it ballooned, and we don’t always keep the old loan information if it’s been paid off more than 6 years.
        "Congratulations, that's awesome! We don't. Apparently we don't work in the same industry."

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
        Heck, I wish we only had $70K left on our mortgage!!
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Sounds to me like you handled it well. With SC's, the best way to handle them is whatever way keeps you employed at the end of the incident.
          Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

I saw something similar on TV a while ago.
            Short:

Old guy buys big truck with loan from Bank. Has contract with big company.
            Big company runs out of work and bank forecloses on house.

TV show:

Old guy: They took me house! It was me heritage for me kids!
            (Details of truck and mortgage)
            Old guy: They took me kids future! They took me house!

(I thought) He doesn't understand mortgages. It wasn't his house (any more) when he signed the legal papers with the bank.

Comment

It's all about location, folks.
              There are houses on the market where you'd get change back from that $16,000 loan. Actual decent houses.
              They are just in areas where there are no jobs, you can't drink the water, and/or the violent crime rate is high.
              I picked a random county in Minnesota on Realtor.com and found a house for sale for $35,000.
              I have no doubt that if I learned more I'd know why I don't want to live there.

Comment

Quoth SpyOne View Post
                They are just in areas where there are no jobs, you can't drink the water, and/or the violent crime rate is high.
                Sounds like some of the former mill towns here. Yes, you can get a house for under $25,000. Granted, you'll have a crack house next door and chalk outlines on the sidewalk out front. That's if the city hasn't come in and bulldozed entire blocks of vacant crumbling buildings. Think Detroit, or locally...McKeesport.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

These customers bought the house for $70,000 in 2006, and the tax value is about the same even now, after the housing crash. That's pretty typical for this area.

They had enough from the sale of their previous house that they only needed a loan of $16,000. Like I said, I wish I had enough saved up to be able to do that.

I was lucky enough to find a house for under $50,000 that, though small and simple, is in good repair. I could do that because there's not a lot of jobs in this area. People are moving away to find jobs. But the retirees stay, since the landscape is beautiful and there's almost no violent crime.

The town I moved into was originally a mining town - a planned community. It still has the look and feel of 50s suburbia.
                  -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                    Me: We don’t.
                    SC: Well, we do.
                    OK, I give up, what work is required to keep records that long? Even for taxes, we keep them for 7 years at most.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                      OK, I give up, what work is required to keep records that long? Even for taxes, we keep them for 7 years at most.
                      Laws and ordinances vary, but pharmacy prescription records must be retained on-site for up to 10 years.

Comment

OK, I give up, what work is required to keep records that long? ...
                        Census, vital statistics, pensions, courts...
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          Census, vital statistics, pensions, courts...
                          I’ve worked for government agencies. They have stuff that has to be kept forever. Building permits, inspection reports, applications for licenses, environmental impact reports, budget preparation documents...

I know someone who works for an agency that regulates oil wells. They are in the process of digitizing oil drilling and pumping records that go back well over 100 years—and which are still being used today.

Comment

The Australian Government changed record keeping requirements from 7 years to "Forever" for dole recipients during the Robo debt scandal.

Their website now only says that dole recipients (Newstart Allowance in Newspeak) should "keep records" and does not mention any time limit anywhere.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                              Me, too. Granted, we lucked into a very good deal and got the smallest house on the block for about half what the neighbors paid for their houses, but we're a family of 2 so it's all we need. I remember my dad complaining about the $204 payment on the house we lived in when I was a teenager. My parents paid $22,500 for that house in 1975. When my dad sold it in 1990 after my mother died and he remarried, he got 135K cash for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X